Testy Area 51

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hi Ray, good to see you're safe and still making lists in these dark times! :)

I hope all the droogs are okay, home and safe. Summer coming up, are we allowed to walk in the park, feed the ducks? eh? No? Whaaat!
I'll miss the cinema, not that I was much of a movie-goer but at least the big big movies deserve to be seen on a big big screen, not my 42 incher. Hopefully next year things we'll be back to normal, if such a thing is now possible.

I wear driving gloves when shopping but no mask, frankly too embarrassed, I'll look like an outlaw robbing the place.

Washing your hands is a must, with soap if possible, just water isn't good enough. Shops have got toilet paper back on the shelves, I've even spotted some pasta. Plenty of bottled water too.

Last film I watched was The Andromeda Strain.

Last film I bought was Frozen II. Which I might watch tomorrow.

Alessandra Ambrosio.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Alive and well, so far Dennis. How are all my droogie woogies? All wearing masks and gloves? Is that our future? Our brave new world? No more shaking hands, no hugs, no more pinching female bottoms at the work place? [oi oi that's enough Steve!]

The UK is 5th in worldwide virus deaths, who to blame? When is it over? Are lessons learned? Are we prepared for the next pandemic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well, well, well how are things? I thought as a fellow droog I’d have a list of things I’ve watched as well. I’m following Westworld and just saw 1917 which I loved. This made me want to dust off the old Band of Brothers tin and give it a rewatch. I day drink while making sure the kids keep up on their “virtual classroom.” It’s 3:48 a.m. and I’m drinking a beer now. How’s my typing?

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Spring is here in the PNW, far from the madding crowd. Or is that madding coronavirus?

Spring is heralded with the filling of the irrigation canals. I'm promised water on Monday.

NYcanal west.JPG

Last edited:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
it's getting warmer here in Manchester but the streets are strangely deserted, what happened? The dogs have stopped barking... the birds have gone... no spiders invading the house (phew!).... there's a strange wind... the happening is happening.... noooooo!

Zen me lad I still haven't got a clue what's happening on Westworld, characters keep coming back from the dead or limbo or wherever they were and I'm not even sure who's a robot and who's human. Maybe I shouldn't have the computer on in front of me when I'm supposed to be watching tv. :unsure:

There are times when I have my desktop monitor glaring at me on one side of the table, my laptop lit up on the other side and the TV about 8 feet away in the middle, and I'm busy typing away on my mobile (US = Cellphone). I should be working at NASA making those moon landing videos (Stop it Steve!)

Chris and Scarlett.jpg

Reactions: Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I only use a computer at work. The streets here are dead as well and it seems to be helping as our cases are pretty low. My work has split shifts to a/b to limit “cross contamination.” Out of utter boredom, day drinking is “a thing” here, I take up middle of the night drinking. Although, to keep the immune system up I’m gonna go dry.

as to Westworld steve, you are not alone. I don’t anyone has a clue what’s going on but it is certainly pretty to look at. The acting is ace and the production top-notch but I haven’t a clue what I’m even watching.

Reactions: Steve Christou

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Roy: It's not an easy thing to meet your maker.

Tyrell: What can he do for you?

Roy: Can the maker repair what he makes.

Tyrell: Would you like to be modified?

Roy: I had in mind something a little more radical.

Tyrell: What... What seems to be the problem?

Roy: Death.

Tyrell: Death. Well, I'm afraid that's a little out of my jurisdiction, you...

Roy: I want more life, fucker.

Tyrell: The facts of life. To make an alteration in the evolvment of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established.

Roy: Why not?

Tyrell: Because by the second day of incubation, any cells that have undergone reversion mutations give rise to revertant colonies like rats leaving a sinking ship. Then the ship sinks.

Roy: What about EMS recombination.

Tyrell: We've already tried it. Ethyl methane sulfanate as an alkalising agent and potent mutagen. It created a virus so lethal the subject was dead before he left the table.

Roy: Then a repressive protein that blocks the operating cells.

Tyrell: Wouldn't obstruct replication, but it does give rise to an error in replication so that the newly formed DNA strand carries the mutation and you've got a virus again. But, uh, this-- all of this is academic. You were made as well as we could make you.

Roy: But not to last.

Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. And you have burned so very very brightly, Roy. Look at you. You're the prodigal son. You're quite a prize!

Roy: I've done questionable things.

Tyrell: Also extraordinary things. Revel in your time.

Roy: Nothing the god of bio-mechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for.

So is EMS the source of all our problems?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Dennis has been browsing our backpages... I've been peeking at some old pages too, we were 'mad, bad and dangerous to know' (where does that quote come from?). Entertaining we were and very inventive too. Would you believe I've archived this entire thread and converted each page to pdf format? As if I will have plenty of time in my dotage to read every page, how long will that take I wonder? :3dglasses:

Keira Knightley aa.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've heard that phrase so many times but never bothered to see where it came from, thanks Dennis. Wikipedia is our friend.

Never been much into classic poetry but I do have some favorites -

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

“Like one, that on a lonesome road
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned round walks on,
And turns no more his head;
Because he knows, a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread.”

And than there's the The Raven by Poe, here's the first part -

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”

Any others?

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
That's the first time I've read that Blackbird poem Mike, what's so terrible about it? :unsure:

I don't hate poetry I just don't know poetry. I'm a regular quizzer online and I'm pretty good with classic novels and authors but whenever they throw in a question about poets and poems, even with multiple choice, I nearly always get it wrong. I don't know my Yeats from my Wordsworth. I would like to expand my knowledge but I think I left it too late with poetry.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Now that's poetry. :)