What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Happy New Year Everyone!!!

The weather here in Manchester has been great so far - about 8 Centigrade / 46 Fahrenheit. Tomorrow will be even better.

The first time I said 'Happy New Year' here in Testy Area 51 the no.1 movie in theaters was Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers!! That's a long time ago in the life of a thread (and a forum). :)

Comparing foreign movie posters to the original American posters - I thought this was pretty cheeky -

Klute ee.jpg

Klute dfdf.jpg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Haha, I had to google about Oregon now having to pump their own gasoline. So strange -- didn't realize they and New Jersey were not allowed to do so. And funny comments about now wanting to smell like gasoline. I think in most other states, it's almost impossible to find a station which has someone to fill it for you -- much less, clean your windows!! Sigh, I remember the old days of them even checking oil levels.

Saw "Molly's Game" this past weekend. Enjoyed it -- but a VERY talky movie. (I do like good dialogue, though.)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
aaah is kitty about to start WWIII? :)
I had a black cat once.... *sniff*

Last new film I watched was Three Billboards... or was it four? No three Billboards in Missouri, ebbing. Lovely title. I liked the film and acting Frances McDormand was super and she will probably nab an Oscar this year. Sam Rockwell was good too.

Darkest Hour - Gary Oldman was really enjoying himself as Winston Churchill and is another Oscar favorite. The film itself was a little stagey and monochromatic. Not something I'd rush out and buy on blu-ray. But I did like Oldman as 'Winnie'.

Finally got to see Dunkirk, blu-ray blind buy. It's good, not great, Nolan keeps it moving, I liked the cinematography. What I hated was Hans Zimmer's atonal 'wall of sound' soundtrack, which was deafening. Gone are the days of fantastic film composers like the legendary Jerry Goldsmith, memorable movie scores worth buying on CD. Not this cacophony passing itself of as a film score.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally got to see Dunkirk, blu-ray blind buy. It's good, not great, Nolan keeps it moving, I liked the cinematography. What I hated was Hans Zimmer's atonal 'wall of sound' soundtrack, which was deafening. Gone are the days of fantastic film composers like the legendary Jerry Goldsmith, memorable movie scores worth buying on CD. Not this cacophony passing itself of as a film score.

Agree on all counts, Steve. It was okay. Not great.

I was really looking forward to the audio track. And I played it loud while Peg was in the far end of the house doing some busy work. She could hear it pretty well, too! :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Mike, problem is a film like Dunkirk you want it loud because it's a war film not a romance, except that the 'music' is drowning out all the other sounds, even the aerial battles. It was giving me a headache after a while. Hans Zimmer is a great composer when he wants to be - Crimson Tide, Gladiator, Inception are good examples but I'm not a fan of the 'wall of sound' music score.

I have hundreds of soundtracks on LP and CD, but the last one I bought was about 10 years ago, I think it was Revenge of the Sith. I lost interest in collecting film music when my favorite composer died, Jerry Goldsmith.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I certainly think that Dunkirk was better than okay. But that is just like my opinion. :)

I don't see as many films theatrically these days, but I wish I had seen this at the theater.

For me the early scenes almost had a surreal feel with the stark images of the sea, sand, and soldiers. I thought that Zimmer's score had an abstract nature to it that fit the visuals and accentuated that impression. So I was fine with what was presented.

I agree that the dialog was difficult to hear at times, but I imagine in real life that conversations might be a bit difficult during action so I was okay with that. I am a big fan of Christopher Nolan, so I'm not the most unbiased viewer of this film. :)

- Walter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[leaps majestically into frame]

Whoa I can't believe this is still our new years page, have the glory days really gone? :eek:

Oscar nominations!! I suppose I should support Dunkirk for Best Picture and Best Director even if I was less than enthused about the film itself and the cacophonous music score by Hanz Simmer, which was also Oscar nominated btw.

I saw The Shape of Water, a weird romantic fantasy in which a woman falls in love with a fish and has sex with it. It is the Oscar front runner with 13 nominations! That's more than Ben-Hur managed for christous sake!

James Franco's Best Actor nomination has been mysteriously replaced with Denzel Washington's name for a film no one on the planet has ever heard of. Even Denzel is shocked. I call shenanigans.

In a milestone event comic fans rejoice as Logan gets nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, a first for a comic book movie.

Here in the UK they are making a big deal over the fact three of the Best Actor nominees are British. [waves union jack] I'm rooting for Gary Oldman to bag his first Oscar.

I saw The Post, I didn't fall asleep but the blu-ray won't be popping thru 'the post' here unless they're giving it away.

I liked Three Billboards in Missouri, ebbing. So I wouldn't mind if that wins Best Picture, it's chances of winning is handicapped by the British director not being nominated. This was Martin McDonagh's third film, I wasn't crazy about his 2nd film Seven Psychopaths but I am a big fan of his first film - In Bruges.

Vanity Fair cover.jpg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Martin McDonagh has a perfect track record for me. So disappointing he wasn't nominated, as I figure that means "Shape" will win Best Pic and Director now. Oh well, as long as Frances and Sam win.

I watched "24 Hours to Live" a couple of nights ago on streaming. Action film starring Ethan Hawke. You know, I wasn't expecting much, but I liked it. Of course, I'm a huge fan, but I'm not running to rent "Maudie". .

I saw "The Commuter" a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty enjoyable. I expected Vera Farmiga's role to be bigger.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't gotten to my Academy screeners yet, maybe later this week. I'm sure they're all fine. Last film spun was Lucifer's Women. A reincarnated svengali gets in a satanic pact with his book publisher to rope some broad into a cult ritual for IMMORTALITY! They have to get the girl to kill the book publisher while they are both climaxing. Church of Satan leader Anton Le Vey was the technical adviser, so I guess that's a real thing? Kind of asking a bit much of the girl though. Supposedly this one never got a proper release, instead being recut into some garbage horror called Doctor Dracula. That version came with the disc but I've not watched it yet.

Otherwise I'm hooked on the Noir Alley films Noir Czar Eddie Muller is programming on TCM. Set your DVR's! They're all pretty good!

(also saw Rock Of Ages a week ago and it's a piece of sh*t that can go rot... :P )

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched Lady Bird several days ago. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri a few days ago. :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

I watched The Greatest Showman on Saturday. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

And I watched Goodbye, Christopher Robin this weekend. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

And I have yet to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi. What's wrong with this picture?? :wacko:

Besides all this, Peg and I have been on a Scandinavian film jag. Coming up next, Pelle the Conqueror!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You should be watching South Korean films. All the best action films now are South Korean. So I'm told. :P

Spun FUGITIVE GIRLS last night. Total sleaze fest, but boy was it fun. Poor old Ed Wood Jr. wrote it and is featured in at least three roles. The trailer is to die for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.