1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Happy New Year Everyone!!!

The weather here in Manchester has been great so far - about 8 Centigrade / 46 Fahrenheit. Tomorrow will be even better.

The first time I said 'Happy New Year' here in Testy Area 51 the no.1 movie in theaters was Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers!! That's a long time ago in the life of a thread (and a forum). :)

Comparing foreign movie posters to the original American posters - I thought this was pretty cheeky -

Klute ee.jpg

Klute dfdf.jpg

2. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Happy New Year!!

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Happy New Year Elizabeth!

Star Trek II rtrtrtrt.jpg
    Star Trek II erer.jpg

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    [​IMG]

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I just woke up at 1:30 AM (MT) to the sound of rain in my downspouts. It's 35* F (1.7* C) here and it's really raining.

6. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Haha, I had to google about Oregon now having to pump their own gasoline. So strange -- didn't realize they and New Jersey were not allowed to do so. And funny comments about now wanting to smell like gasoline. I think in most other states, it's almost impossible to find a station which has someone to fill it for you -- much less, clean your windows!! Sigh, I remember the old days of them even checking oil levels.

Saw "Molly's Game" this past weekend. Enjoyed it -- but a VERY talky movie. (I do like good dialogue, though.)

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    So does this photo need to be put into the official HTF cats thread?

[​IMG]

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    aaah is kitty about to start WWIII? :)
    I had a black cat once.... *sniff*

Last new film I watched was Three Billboards... or was it four? No three Billboards in Missouri, ebbing. Lovely title. I liked the film and acting Frances McDormand was super and she will probably nab an Oscar this year. Sam Rockwell was good too.

Darkest Hour - Gary Oldman was really enjoying himself as Winston Churchill and is another Oscar favorite. The film itself was a little stagey and monochromatic. Not something I'd rush out and buy on blu-ray. But I did like Oldman as 'Winnie'.

Finally got to see Dunkirk, blu-ray blind buy. It's good, not great, Nolan keeps it moving, I liked the cinematography. What I hated was Hans Zimmer's atonal 'wall of sound' soundtrack, which was deafening. Gone are the days of fantastic film composers like the legendary Jerry Goldsmith, memorable movie scores worth buying on CD. Not this cacophony passing itself of as a film score.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Agree on all counts, Steve. It was okay. Not great.

I was really looking forward to the audio track. And I played it loud while Peg was in the far end of the house doing some busy work. She could hear it pretty well, too! :D

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Mike, problem is a film like Dunkirk you want it loud because it's a war film not a romance, except that the 'music' is drowning out all the other sounds, even the aerial battles. It was giving me a headache after a while. Hans Zimmer is a great composer when he wants to be - Crimson Tide, Gladiator, Inception are good examples but I'm not a fan of the 'wall of sound' music score.

I have hundreds of soundtracks on LP and CD, but the last one I bought was about 10 years ago, I think it was Revenge of the Sith. I lost interest in collecting film music when my favorite composer died, Jerry Goldsmith.

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I certainly think that Dunkirk was better than okay. But that is just like my opinion. :)

I don't see as many films theatrically these days, but I wish I had seen this at the theater.

For me the early scenes almost had a surreal feel with the stark images of the sea, sand, and soldiers. I thought that Zimmer's score had an abstract nature to it that fit the visuals and accentuated that impression. So I was fine with what was presented.

I agree that the dialog was difficult to hear at times, but I imagine in real life that conversations might be a bit difficult during action so I was okay with that. I am a big fan of Christopher Nolan, so I'm not the most unbiased viewer of this film. :)

- Walter.

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    This is what dropping geography from the curriculum leads to:

[​IMG]