What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
wheeloffortune.jpg

Is This the Most Epic 'Wheel of Fortune' Fail Ever?

Tenessee Williams will be spinning in his grave.

It's almost too ridiculous to be true, but a contestant on a recent episode of Wheel of Fortune managed to snatch defeat from the open and totally inviting jaws of victory all for the sake of one letter, and a quite admirable lack of general knowledge and lateral thinking.

With the letters A STREETCAR NA_ED DESIRE already spelled out for him, and with his opponent eyeing the exit and perhaps considering her fastest route home, the male contestant conspired, somehow, to call out the fateful letter of 'K'. He said it with such rapid and ferocious confidence one momentarily assumed there was perhaps an experimental 1980s Eastern Bloc production of A Streetcar Naked Desire that very few people were clued in on.

Alas, it was not meant to be and his formerly dejected opponent stole in and took home the marbles while he will have to face the ignominy of being that guy behind the most epic fail on Wheel of Fortune

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wheel-fortune-fail-987865

:eek:

:laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And that truck had JUST his discs in them, right?

Your Uncle Harvey (who dropped an "L" along the way) picked up all his furniture and other worldly possessions in his little truck, eh wot?!?

8b71141f172c4c6960e9e24d9acc5566.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:D

The move was in early February I didn't mention it here just to see if anyone notices the London change on one of my posts.
Looking at yesterdays events maybe I did the right thing to move out of there. More innocents killed and maimed. Pointless evil.
I will say this there are a lot of Trump supporters in Britain, and many more will support his extreme policies on immigration and safety after yesterdays terror.

I needed a huge removal lorry (truck in the US?) for my four thousand DVDs and Blu-rays, plus I had hundreds of books to move too. It was a massive headache (and backache). But they all made the 200 mile trip intact I'm glad to say. I will still be visiting London now and then. The Manchester roads in my neck of the woods aren't as congested as London roads, fewer cars, long quiet roads, love it. Plus Amazon delivers in Manchester too, yay! ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Whether you call it a removal lorry, removal van, or Pantechnicon van, I guess it did the job. The American for lorry is truck, with related verb trucking.
keep-on-trucking-illustration.jpg

My theory is that neologisms that date after the American Revolution tend to differ between the US and UK. Automobile repair manuals for imported British cars have a helpful cross-reference between UK and US English, e.g. wrench vs. spanner. Some terms are very confusing: what we call kerosene the Brits call paraffin, which in US English means a solid wax used to make candles ("clean the part in paraffin"). Then later after the rise of the US as a world power in the 1890's there began a convergence of terms again due to improved communications in new fields such as aircraft and computers.

Last edited:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Congrats on the move Steve! I loved Manchester when I was visiting. London feels like a constant panic, much more chill in Manchester. I think the Amazon hub is in Manchester so you'll get your stuff super quick!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My theory is that neologisms that date after the American Revolution tend to differ between the US and UK. Automobile repair manuals for imported British cars have a helpful cross-reference between UK and US English, e.g. wrench vs. spanner. Some terms are very confusing: what we call kerosene the Brits call paraffin, which in US English means a solid wax used to make candles ("clean the part in paraffin"). Then later after the rise of the US as a world power in the 1890's there began a convergence of terms again due to improved communications in new fields such as aircraft and computers.
il_340x270.1111869770_ko4t.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've always preferred miles to kilometers Dennis, that's what I grew up with. Hopefully we'll be out of the floundering EU soon.
Officially it's called a 'removal van' but it was as big as a lorry. You could have parked a couple of big cars in it and have space left over. In fact I was joking with the guys that if there was room let me park my car in it too, save me some petrol (um that's 'gas' in the US).

An Amazon hub in Manchester Russ? That might explain the quick deliveries, nice. Just ordered Fright Night (1985) and The Forbin Project (finally in HD!) from them, should be here next week.

Mike, US / UK word differences are worth exploring and sometimes hilarious - 'fanny' means "a persons buttocks" in the US but in the UK it's even naughtier- "female genitalia". In the animated movie Robots (2005) there is a character named "Aunt Fanny" which had to be renamed "Aunt Fan" in the UK. :blink:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Most of the more popular ones are on that list Mike, missing is the wonderfully different - Sidewalk / Pavement.

Also you guys use the term 'theater' a lot when referring to cinema, here it's usually spelt 'theatre' and more often reminds one of west end musicals and the umpteenth showing of The Mousetrap in London than the latest blockbuster movie.

Btw Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap is the longest running play in the world, it opened in 1952 and notched up 25,000 performances in 2012. It has been playing at the St. Martin's Theatre since 1974! No I haven't seen it. I'm not much of a theatregoer and not much of a moviegoer anymore either.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I have been on an Emma Thompson kick the last few weeks.

We've been watching one of her films after another.

It all started with Love Actually shortly after Christmas. In between then and now we've watched: Howard's End, Sense & Sensibility, Brigit Jones's Baby, and Saving Mr. Banks (we had both forgotten how much we absolutely LOVE this film).

And we just went to the theater this past weekend to see Beauty and the Beast where she steps in to fill the rather large shoes of Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Potts.

We've seen many of her other films, of course, and generally enjoy her work. It just seems that lately so many things we've watched have included her.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
That's very nice Mike, it's good to know British actors and actresses are still popular in the States. And think I read somewhere that Emily Blunt is playing Mary Poppins in a new movie, I think it's called Mary Poppins- Retribution or was it The Final Chapter, can't remember.

Anyway Samuel L. Jackson complained recently that American studios were choosing British black actors over American black actors for their movies. Stop your blathering Jackson before I quote Ezekiel 25:17 at you. And what about all the zillions of British white actors chosen over American white actors for blockbuster movies in the US, I don't hear anyone complaining about them. [cue angry murmuring]

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I like that it's Sam Jackson, who's in about a 100 movies a year is the one complaining. I mean honestly ,between Jackson and Idris Elba, there's no roles left!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.