What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yeah, poor Debbie Reynolds must feel pretty bad today. Eddie passed on in 2010.

debbie-reynolds-gene-kelly-singing-in-the-rain.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My snowblower is an HS-55. It uses a proprietary two-piece rim design (bolted together with a gasket between them). The original tires are made by Ohtsu Tire and Rubber Co. They are also an odd size: 14x400x6. I was able to replace them with Carlisle 14x450x6 tires...but the stupid rims gave my local tire experts fits. I was gonna put tubes in them (I had purchased them)...but they recommended just going with the bead seal and keeping them properly inflated. I've got a Ryobi inflater, so that's easy for me to do.

I got my replacements from THIS PLACE.

When my wheelbarrow tire went bad, I replaced it with a solid one...rather than use a tube.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Unbelievable Debbie Reynolds gone too, what a horrible festive season for their family, I mean what are the odds?

RIP Debbie. :(

I watched Singin' in the Rain again for the zillionth time at Xmas, my favorite musical. Now all the three main leads are gone. I think every one in the film is now dead except Rita Moreno.

Singin in the Rain.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's now well passed midnight Green Witch time so Happy New Year to you Europeans. I've still got 6 hours to go in the rustic American west. By the way why do the Brits keep time with a Green Witch? It can't be because of Australia since OZ time is Green Witch +12.

latest

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:dancing-banana-04: Happy New Year Everyone!!! :dancing-banana-04:

Let's make it a better year than last year.

2017 - The year of The Running Man and Surrogates

2018 - The year of Rollerball (1975)

2019 - The year of Blade Runner (1982), Daybreakers, The Island and Akira

4000 - The year of Barbarella.

Barbarella erer.jpg

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I love The Running Man

I talked with a 173rd Airborne Brigade "Sky Soldiers" veteran yesterday at my work. Purple Heart. I did not know that in WWII they were the 87th Reconnaissance Troop as brigades were done away with then. Only Dennis may find this interesting lol. Anyways Happy New Year and I'm firing up Band of Brothers today! [emoji111]️️[emoji322][emoji3]

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
We still don't know in which year A Clockwork Orange takes place. The old technology in the film suggests that it's already passed: LP records, micro-cassettes, and regular electric typewriters.

But there is 2022: the year of Soylent Green. Something to look forward to I suppose.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I did something interesting this weekend.

We watched the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby (Redford). Then, the next night, we watched the 2014 version (DiCaprio).

She had seen neither. I had only seen the Redford version in the theater upon initial release (when I was 15).

My memories of that first viewing were that I couldn't understand why the character of the narrator (Waterston) got so much more screen time than Redford...that I liked Bruce Dern...and that I had no idea what was going on.

Now that I'm an old man (of 57) I understand what was going on.

We strongly preferred the '74 version. Both versions pretty much told the tale in the same way (with a few minor exceptions). But the Baz Luhrman stylistic crap really took away from some of the vivid imagery rendered by Fitzpatrick's words. They detracted, rather than enhanced the story-telling for me.

There were definitely things to like about both.

Oh. But the idea of working some hip-hop into the soundtrack of the newer version was just plain ridiculous. I'm assuming that's because Jay-Z was listed as one of the executive producers? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Total fail. How anyone could have ever signed off on that conceit making ANY sense...should have had their movie-making license stripped from their person.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.