1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    The last new film I saw was Sharknado 3... as far as I know the only film in history to contain a scene where the leading lady gives birth inside a shark.

I also saw Aloha, not very impressed. The lovely Emma Stone and her mesmerising 'manga' eyes kept me awake.

I really enjoyed Spy starring Melissa McCarthy, Jason Statham and Jude Law, I was laughing like a hyena through most of it.

Highly recommended.

Spy (2015).

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    I guess Zen went on the wagon over Labour Day.....

Today I changed the plugs on my Boxster. That's a major pain. But I got it done and now can ignore them for another 30K/60K miles, depending upon which Porsche blurb you read.

Age and joint stiffness is really getting to me working on mid-engine cars.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I tried to change something called a purge valve on my Santa Fe a couple of months ago. It is devilishly located between the engine and the firewall/dashboard. I had read up on it and was confident that this anti-mechanic would be capable of the operation.

But it wasn't to be. Because I couldn't bend over and lean against the car on my abdomen (where my surgeries have all been and where I still have a nagging infection). So, off to the garage I went where some very nice people took good care of me and only charged me a half-hour's labor to install the valve that I had already purchased on my own. :thumbsup:

4. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I had to see this film theatrically for Jason Statham despite Melissa McCarthy's presence. She actually wasn't as annoying as I expected. Statham was so funny because he was being so INTENSE.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    In Zen's honor I went by the ISLD and tried to buy a bottle of Seven Devils Bourbon, but they were out of stock. So I had to get some cheap Grants instead.

Zen would understand the hassle of changing Boxster spark plugs. You have to put the car up on stands then pull the rear wheels and rear plastic fender liners for access. Even then your access isn't great.

At least I don't have stitches and infections in the places I'm twisting. The various whiskeys fend off the infections.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I knew there was something I had forgotten to try! :D

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Not the biggest Melissa McCarthy fan but I liked her in Spy. and it was fun seeing the Stath play an inept action hero. Jude Law must have thought this was the closest he'll ever get to playing 007. Cool, suave, Brosnan would have been proud. :)

Btw what was up with all the erect dicks in the version of Spy I saw, is this not taboo anymore?

galaxy quest uyuy.

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Exactly what I thought about Jude Law.

Haha, amongst us Producers, Studio Moguls and Lead Actors, Steve is a "Long Member".

9. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I haven't seen Spy but there were certainly a few boners in Under The Skin.

- Walter.

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    I've been a member of the HTF a long time, he innocently replied. :P

Yes movies are finally growing up, er so to speak. Plus Scarlett Johannson, bless her, naked though most of that otherwise boring movie. Though she might have been wearing a 'merkin' I'm pretty sure the actress will be more neatly 'groomed' in reality. Some brave soul should ask her on twitter. :3dglasses:

And who can forget Rosario Dawson walking au naturel towards the camera in Trance? [smiles whistfully] In Watchmen one of our heroes is walking around with his penis out, I mean think of the children! :D

peach and banana.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Merkin penus?

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Aloha Russell, welcome back to Testy Central. We were chatting about long members, erect penises and hairy merkins, you haven't missed much.

Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb... The bomb, Dmitri. The hydrogen bomb. Well now, what happened is, uh, one of our base commanders, he had a sort of, well, he went a little funny in the head. You know. Just a little...funny. And uh, he went and did a silly thing. Well, I'll tell you what he did, he ordered his planes to attack your country. Well, let me finish, Dmitri. Let me finish, Dmitri. Well, listen, how do you think I feel about it? Can you imagine how I feel about it, Dmitri? Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello? Of course I like to speak to you. Of course I like to say hello. Not now, but any time, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened. It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call. Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it.

Doctor Strangelove.

The great Peter Sellers as President Merkin Muffley in Doctor Strangelove.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    HA! I'm not watching anything appropriate for the forums so I'm mostly silent. I did sneak in Ridley Scotch's EXODUS: KINGS AND GODS AND BATMAN! It was good! Better than THE COUNSELOR, but that's not really being fair right? THE COUNSELOR is TERRIBLE! The image of Javier watching Cameron Diaz pooch the windscreen of his car will forever haunt me. Anyway, I liked this one, with Bat-Moses beating the shit out of everyone. Only fault in it was they blew the parting of the red sea! How do you cock up that? Well they did. So TEN COMMANDMENTS is better with old Chuck "Let my people GO!" Heston.

so what's next for Scott? Blade Runner 2 & 3? Prometheus 2? G.I. Janes? Another Black Hawk Down? Son of the Duellists?

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Are we thinking his new film--The Martian--is going to be any good?

The trailer makes it look pretty good.

15. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Scott is directing The Martian which will be out real soon (end of September / beginning of October). I'm cautiously optimistic because the writers of the Martian... a) Include the writer of the book upon which the film is based and b) They did not participate in writing Prometheus. I like survival stories so I think this has some potential. Curious to see how reviewers treat the film.

After that, Scott is working on Prometheus 2 (gulp). Start with a competent crew aboard the starship (assuming there is a ship in the second film) and drop the vague religious metaphors (or at least express them in a coherent fashion) and maybe they are on to something. We'll see.

Never watched Exodus because the thought of making another filmed version of the story after the Heston version (which I do realize itself is a remake) seems pretty pointless to me.

- Walter.

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Excited for The Martian. Terrific book. And I thought Exodus was by far Scott's worst film. [emoji107]

17. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Dennis spoilt The Martian for me when he pointed out locations from Lawrence of Arabia in some scenes, You can even spot Anthony Quinn in one shot if you look hard enough "No prisoners!" I am planning to see the film if all goes well. At the very least it will look great.

Tino welcome to the nether regions and leave all hope behind. First visit to the Testy Zone?

The critics savaged The Ten Commandments in 1956, shame on them. It was a lot more fun and more epic than Scott's CGI'd effort. In an interview Spielberg said the parting of the Red Sea in the DeMille film was the greatest special effect of all time. Hmm that has dated a bit and you can see the joins, but it still 'feels' impressive and it's still an eyeopener.

Tino likes this.
  18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Oh right, I forgot all about The Martian. It's like Moon but with Matt Damon right? Kidding, though I did love MOON. I liked Prometheus as well, thought it great as a stand alone film and an aliens prequel.

How can Exodus be his worst film when he made The Counselor? Exodus has John Turturro as a Pharaoh for Christous sake! And lots of fights! What's not to love?

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Lawrence of Arabia in the Martian? Is it part of the Prometheus movies? remember the robot got all Lawrence in that one? No robots in Exodus :(

I wont watch the trailer for Martian. I try to avoid all trailers for all films now. too many spoilers.

20. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Turturro and Sigourney Weaver were wasted in Exodus. Christian Bale was okay as Moses but Joel Edgerton looked frightened and confused for most of the film considering he was playing the 'great' Rameses II. Btw the name is spelt 'Ramses' in the movie credits, the DeMille version has it as "Rameses" and Wikipedia names him "Ramesses".

Has anyone read the novel 'The Martian'? I'm wondering if he finds life on Mars. As a sci-fi nut I hope there is more to it than a stranded astronaut.

Tino likes this.