What's new

Testy Area 51 (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Cees Alons said:
There are several versions of that story of the two fishermen and their dog, who wrecked at the later location of Amsterdam. One says that it was a bishop from Utrecht, kicked off a Frisian place he visited, and a rower. More likely would be: just two fishermen.
We didn't have the dog's puke on that emblem.

Cees
Hey! Us Frisians are always welcoming to bishops!
Steve Christou said:
One more anecdote - in the car I had a special siren gizmo connected (named 'Hawaii 5-0' for some reason) with '81 different sounds' including the sound of a police siren and ambulance. It was totally illegal of course and I had to be careful when using it. There was a volume control so I could make it sound like a police car was coming from a distance, getting louder and louder, the cars in front of me would swerve to the side and I would drive straight past. I was a bad boy. [smiles wistfully]
Oh...THAT'S what made that loud noise when you led the invasion into the Star Wars thread all those years ago...

:biggrin:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Dennis Nicholls said:
IIRC those Capris had a 2.8l V6 and were assembled in Germany.

Ford later rebadged circa 1980 Mustangs as a Mercury Capri.

Then Ford circa 1990 made a FWD convertible sold as a Capri. Ford thought the Miata was going to fail and had the FWD Capri (assembled in Australia) as a replacement.

Ford was very much wrong.
What's the Miata?

Btw the other car in that photo is a Ford Cortina, another popular car of that period.

Attachments

• Heston_as_Moses_in_Ten_Commandments.jpg
    Heston_as_Moses_in_Ten_Commandments.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 29

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The Mazda MX-5 is sold as a Miata in the US/CA market and as a Eunos in the EU IIRC.

My 1996 Miata with 163K miles is still going strong. Darned thing is bulletproof.

9156689030_7bd5476fac_c.jpg

My friend had a Cortina in high school. They were sold in the US as Ford's budget car. A few years later Ford designed the Pinto as the Cortina's replacement in the US.

Big mistake.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Steve Christou said:
Aha the Mazda MX5, thanks..Jeez Sam, you joined in 2012 and already nearing 14,000 posts! :wacko:
Yeah, I don't keep track. Mostly use the phone app. I rack up similar numbers on other forums as well. Mainly those for Austin-Healey/MG.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've started watching Sleepy Hollow, the TV series, anyone see this? It's had good reviews but seems quite similar to Supernatural.
You bet. Sleepy Hollow was one of my favorite shows from last year. Really looking forward to the return of this series on Fox.

I suppose they are similar to the degree that they both deal with fantastic story elements, but the relationship between the leads is quite different and while both series have dealt with "The Apocalypse" they have taken different paths. Sleepy Hollow does not have the 'road' element of Supernatural nor its soundtrack - so I don't think of them as being similar in terms of aesthetics.

I've been a big fan of Supernatural for a long time, but it is kind of getting long in the tooth and the main thing sustaining my interest in that series of late has been the characters.

- Walter.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Actually, here it was a Mercury Capri; same shit. Cees is partially right as to stay alive they made those awful Mustang copies. The early 70's Mercury Capri coupe were serious. Not to mention, serious oil hogs

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Steve Christou said:
I've started watching Sleepy Hollow, the TV series, anyone see this? It's had good reviews but seems quite similar to Supernatural.
I really enjoyed Season 1 of "Sleepy Hollow". The relationship between Crane and Abby is terrific, and I love how Tom Mison underplays his bafflement/confusion with things of his future. I totally got thrown off of "Supernatural" when there was a network change and I decided to wait and watch it on blu-ray. As of now, I have only finished through season 2. I can't keep up with current shows and catch up on past seasons of shows!! I am partway through various shows, many of which are finished. (I didn't start watching "The Sopranos" until the entire run had finished. I did complete the entire series, though of course, I was spoilered on the ending by then.)

During summer, I have a relatively light schedule of shows currently airing -- only about 10. But the fall season starts in 2 or 3 weeks, so I'll have a full slate then (usually about 30 shows).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've watched about 7 or 8 episodes of Sleepy Hollow this week, it's interesting but not a series I'll be gagging to buy on blu-ray. I hope the next season isn't more of the same and let's have some new characters.

I was about to order the blu-ray to the Frank Langella Dracula until I saw some screenshots, ugh it's the same desaturated sepia-toned copy, apparently the director John Badham always wanted it to look this way. I won't be getting Dracula on Blu-ray. But I will be picking up Hammer's 'full colour' vampire classic Twins of Evil on Blu next week.

After the Ford Capri my next car was a beautiful red Toyota Celica -

toyota celica.jpg

which I bought in 1986 and scrapped in 2000. Not as fast as the Capri but still nippy. I got my money's worth out of it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I broke down to peer pressure and watched the latest Dr. Who. the first episode anyway. It was good stuff. The first third or so was a confusing mess since I haven't watched any of the new Who aside from season one so I had no idea who the characters were. After it settled down, it got surprisingly good. the new doctor definitely seems to be going more for a John Pertwee vibe, hopefully it continues in the next episode. Previous Doctor Matt Smith makes a cameo and jesus is he an ugly bugger. I thought maybe he looked better in the show, but the lighting made him look like he was in monster make-up. Why the hell they hired him on, I'll never know.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I haven't opened up the Sleepy Hollow can o' worms yet. I started Hell on Wheels recently. Boy, that's one that has to viewed after the kids get to sleep.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm watching Peter Capaldi on "The Musketeers" now as Cardinal Richelieu. I think his role in Season 2 is supposed to be scaled down or written out and it will concentrate on Rochefort since Capaldi will be busy on "Dr. Who".

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Elizabeth S said:
I'm watching Peter Capaldi on "The Musketeers" now as Cardinal Richelieu. I think his role in Season 2 is supposed to be scaled down or written out and it will concentrate on Rochefort since Capaldi will be busy on "Dr. Who".
that's his name! He's really good on the new Dr. Who. I fell a sleep watching the second episode last night. A sign that the series is really going for it's classic flavour! Just kidding, the episode was awesome, I started it late and conked out. I think I'll watch this Who weekly instead of saving it up to binge watch like I usually do.

Speedy Steve Crashtou, where you at in the original Star Trek? On season two yet? I'm going to start watching an episode a week I think since time is of the essence and I have too many grimy movies to watch.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm still on the first season Russouli, I cheated and started watching some third season episodes of Next Generation Trek after finding blu-ray sets of season 3 and 4 going cheap at Amazon. I don't think Next Gen ever looked that good before.

I've been sorting out my blu-rays, I had about a hundred resting on top of shelves now they're all in alphabetical order and easier to find. And just for fun I put all the steelbooks together on one shelf, blu-ray and DVD, they do look good. Might keep them that way.

I have 940 films on blu-ray, funny considering I was so anti-blu-ray 5 years ago. :D

Recent blu-ray purchases - Fall of the House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Fury (1978), Reanimator (steelbook), Runaway Train, Space Battleship Yamato, Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3D).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Good ol' REANIMATOR! Love that one! My collection is still in boxes. I have to go through them and thin some out since I've re-purchased some titles on blu and can either ditch the DVD or stick the disc in the bluray case depending on the special features. Does anyone else do that? Consolidate titles when they upgrade so they take up less space?

My most recent bluray was GRADUATION DAY and Oliver Stones first film SEIZURE. I've never seen it, but the tagline is "The Executioner, The Queen of Evil, The Dwarf!", so it must be pretty great right? Guess which roll Hervé Villechaize has?

If those Corman Poe pictures are the same to be found in the Vincent Price blu set we got last year, you're in for a treat. They looked amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.