Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Very nice. More details please.

(I can't really afford one, but perhaps I can live vicariously to some small degree through your post(s). My little MX-5 will have to suffice in the meantime. :) )

- Walter.

2. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I still like my 9-3 :)

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Well.....it's better to have one of each.

[​IMG]

Early 986 Boxsters have been subject to crazy amounts of depreciation. Mine is a model year 2000 example with only 51K miles. The original owner registered it in the Aspen, CO, area and loaded it up with lots of very expensive options....I estimate the original price was in the high $50K range. I paid $14K last month....the price of a used Toyota Corolla.

Used cars are always a gamble...most early 986's, like mine, are subject to large amounts of deferred maintenance. A Porsche mechanic would charge maybe $8K to do all this. But for me in retirement, it's a hobby-car. I can afford to keep it up on jackstands for a couple of weeks while changing out the clutch and IMS bearing.

I'm not really sure if I'll like it that much more than my Miata. It's much more powerful but also weighs a lot more. At least doing my own work means if I don't like it I can always sell it in two years for about what I paid for it.

I'm getting old. I'm not sure how many more years I'll have the physical strength to perform major maintenance on cars, so I thought I'd get the 986 now. If the ND Miata is a success, prices for the NC cars should fall quickly and I could always sell the 986 and buy a nearly new NC with the proceeds.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    If you are going to pace yourself Dennis, you could have picked a worse project car. That thing can be "pig" though on the pocket book. With two youngin's though, I made sure our Odyssey Touring had a drop down DVD. I am officially out of the "car guy" loop. Although, my job as an analyst keeps me in the game, I don't turn a wrench unless I am putting together a new spice rack for the wife. Dennis, it has inspired me to compare your two rides there.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Zen,

I'll pace myself.

Previously replaced items:
    New windshield in 2012. While it sat on the dealer's lot, they changed the rear window, battery, oil, flushed brake fluid and coolant.

So far for me:
    Changed oil and air filter. Cut apart oil filter and inspected for metal...only one small non-ferrous flake.
    Cleaned belt buckles with electronic contact cleaner. Retired airbag light with Durametric software tool.

Next up:
    New Bosch plugs and Continental serp. belt on hand, ready for install on a non-rainy day.
    Four major coolant hoses on order, will install if serp. belt change indicates no water pump issues.

The model year 2000 was a specific choice on my part: none of the engine casting problems of the 2.5l and it "should" have the dual-row IMS bearing. The last unfortunately can only be fully verified by physical inspection of the IMS cover plate.....

This summer:
    Pull tranny, clutch, and flywheel. If dual-row IMS bearing, I may say screw it and install new RMS and clutch. If single-row IMS bearing, then order up $900 LN IMS bearing and tool kit. Until that time I plan to change and inspect the oil filter every 500 to 600 miles or so.....Mahle filters are $8 at RockAuto.

Future items:
    Change steering wheel. Original owner got option X30 wood-trim wheel whose veneer has cracked and is starting to peel off. Gray leather 4 spoke wheels go for about $300 on eBay.
    Change front tires. Potenza RE760 has lots of tread but date code says 6 years old. Backs are dated from end of 2011 so they are OK.
    Change MT lube.

6. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    It's a beautiful car Dennis, I had something similar with the collapse in Saab values after GM's murder spree. My 08 had 34k miles on it when I bought it and I got what was a $45k car for $15 at 5 years old. I just did a check and it's worth $13.5 private party with another 10k miles on it now. The only reason I went for it is that the parts are readily available again after an 18 month drought due to the bankruptcy. It's so much fun to drive and I haven't had to do anything major to it yet, but I do have tires and brakes coming soon, and maybe a new top in a year or so. The elastic has gone bad on the current one which causes the headliner to rub on the latch when the top closes, which has caused it to, well not leak but the headliner gets a bit damp when there's LOTS of rain, but being in LA that's not really a problem. I wouldn't trade the years with the Prius but it's great to have a turbo again :)

7. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Figured out pics. This is my 4th Saab, my first was an '88 900 Turbo Convertible that I got when I was 18 and it was 10 years old and pretty much a beater. I've seen a couple similar over the years. This is what it looked like when I got it, more or less. image.jpg And until a few weeks ago, I'd never seen another one with the tan top put on it. I'd planned to repaint it British Racing Green image.jpg

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Dennis the RE760s are what we run as a replacement for our IS250 and 350. A very good tire for the $

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    To make this story more "old movie" friendly.....

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Dennis, someday I would love to have a "weekend warrior" to tinker with. My garage though is my music studio/train room for the kids. No room, no time and all I do all day is assist "Parts Professionals." I am paid a decent wage to make the guys you speak with at dealerships sound like they know what they are talking about.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Don't know why the song is cut off. Sorry.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
  13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Hmm....
    This has been a bad tumbleweed season for us. Amazingly enough the Wall Street Journal posted a feature article about the troubles with tumbleweeds in the West.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304071004579407551742108252?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304071004579407551742108252.html

14. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    mr-mrs-smith-stills-16.jpg

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Does she tumble through the West?

Some entrepreneur will have to make a GMO version of tumbleweed crossed with hemp. A self-delivering MJ plant! :eek:

16. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Back in the old days I would post an animated gif of a rolling tumbleweed whenever things got too quiet, aah I was more inventive back then, and crazier. :blink:

A Yank in Viet-Nam (Allied Artists, 1964).jpg

Russell G likes this.
  17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Zen lives! Very cool, how are ya dude?

Well, yet again, it's been a bit since my pop-in visit. Lot's going on, yet again...

Got married on 3/11 to this amazing woman after nearly 3 years of being together. We tied the knot at the Stone World Bistro and Garden's, where all of Stone's amazing ales are brewed and bottled. We talked about it a couple years ago, her idea...btw, yeah, she's a keeper! We dressed in total Cowboy getup for the occasion. A pic...

Umm, let's see, my daughter got her first, and a brand new car on Saturday the 22nd. A Silver Toyota Camry. My parents decided to take us out "looking" and bought her the car, she is beside herself, as am I. One hell-of-a lucky girl.

Tore down the tool shed, saved most all the wood and am nearing completion of a fort for the kids. Roughly about 8'x5'x6' high and sits up off the ground about 10'. I just ran lighting and power to it so I can set it up with a TV and a Wi-Fi Blu-ray player.

Haven't had much movie time as of late. I did watch Gravity, other than the effects it was ho-hum. Story? I'm sorry we forgot one. Acting, oh, it was average at best. The effects were beyond amazing tho, good thing it was only 1.3 hours long. I did watch Dallas Buyers Club. Good but nothing I ever need to see again. Wife wanted to see it, I didn't, not my kinda film.

Any-hoo, that's all I've got for now. Not going with a new theater, I like the old one too much, it's nice having it in the garage and not attached to the house. I still plan on the room addition but probably won't start that project this year.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      130 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      148.3 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      169.5 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      76.3 KB
      Views:
  18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yay!

The garage theater lives to fight another day!

:rock:

Oh. And congratulations, Ron! Many, many happy returns!

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks Mike, and yep, it still lives and will for a long time. No desire to destroy her, been over 10 years now and it's just too nice to take down.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

You've been here a long time, Ron. Don't know if you saw this thread...