What's new

Testy Area 51 (2 Viewers)

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Walter Kittel said:
Screencap contests. That brings back some fond memories of some fun threads and interesting puzzles. 1. ???2. Dreamscape3. ???4. The Right Stuff5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (the great scene where Spock plays out everyone's fantasy when confronted by an annoying jerk in public.)6. Innerspace - Walter.
Be happy you got #1 wrong, this means you get a chance to watch a great movie for the first time :D I knew #3 would be obscure, but I'm not convinced some other droog wont know it. And you got #4 wrong too, keep guessing :)
Moe Dickstein said:
1 is super easySNEAKERS! One of my all time favorite movies - I got to meet the two writers a couple weeks ago and they signed my HD-DVD copy.The Spock scene was actually recycled by Nick Meyer from an idea devised for his other time-traveling in San Francisco film, Time After Time.
Moe, great taste in movies, Sneakers is an all-time fave (right up there with BTILC as most quoted in our house)TOO MANY SECRETSCOOTYS RAT SEMENYou can fill in the rest (from memory now)How did you meet the writers and what is this HD-DVD you speak of, a distant cousin to Laserdisk ;)This leaves #3 and #4 up for grabs still.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
#4 has got to be Enemy Mine!
Elijah said:
Be happy you got #1 wrong, this means you get a chance to watch a great movie for the first time :D I knew #3 would be obscure, but I'm not convinced some other droog wont know it. And you got #4 wrong too, keep guessing :) Moe, great taste in movies, Sneakers is an all-time fave (right up there with BTILC as most quoted in our house)TOO MANY SECRETSCOOTYS RAT SEMENYou can fill in the rest (from memory now)How did you meet the writers and what is this HD-DVD you speak of, a distant cousin to Laserdisk ;)This leaves #3 and #4 up for grabs still.

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Neil Middlemiss said:
#4 has got to be Enemy Mine!
Ding Ding Ding!I figured anything with him in a beard would give it away too quickly.I think this was the first movie I watched with blood in it :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Numbers 1 and 3 are the only ones I can't identify. I watched Enemy Mine so many times on fuzzy VHS back in the 80's, only once or twice on DVD, go figure. But I'd still like to see it get a blu-ray release. Louis Gossett Jr was fantastic as the alien.

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Steve Christou said:
Numbers 1 and 3 are the only ones I can't identify. I watched Enemy Mine so many times on fuzzy VHS back in the 80's, only once or twice on DVD, go figure. But I'd still like to see it get a blu-ray release. Louis Gossett Jr was fantastic as the alien.
Moe got #1 right, Sneakers with Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Akaroyd...If you didnt read those words "My voice is my passport, verify me" in Stephen Tobolowsky's voice, then you have a great movie to watch soon!Havent watched Enemy Mine in years, wonder how it holds up. I know that we still call my uncle (who first showed us the movie) "Unca" and he calls us "Zaaaaaamise" :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I've seen Sneakers and enjoyed it quite a bit; but it has been a long, long time since my last viewing.

As far as #4 goes, I thought the instrumentation behind Quaid was wrong for The Right Stuff but had completely forgotten about Enemy Mine.

- Walter.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I work for John Badham, and Parkes and Lasker wrote WarGames as well as Sneakers. We were there for a screening of the former and promoting John's new book on directing (which is a great read - you can trust that coming from me who's read it about 50 times by now).I quote that one all the time.Remember ta... go real slow!I leave message here on service but you do not call...Give him... help. Be a beacon in his sad and lonely life.You won't know who to trust.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Steve Christou said:
Enemy Mine saw a limited release but I think is sold out already. Don't recall if it was a Twilight Time release or another group.

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Moe Dickstein said:
I work for John Badham, and Parkes and Lasker wrote WarGames as well as Sneakers. We were there for a screening of the former and promoting John's new book on directing (which is a great read - you can trust that coming from me who's read it about 50 times by now).I quote that one all the time.Remember ta... go real slow!I leave message here on service but you do not call...Give him... help. Be a beacon in his sad and lonely life.You won't know who to trust.
Very cool :) Some of my favs:

"Dont look...*ding*...listen"
"Never let him know that you know, what he thinks you dont know but you know....you know?"
"We're the US Government...we dont do that kind of thing"
"Any body want to crash a couple of 747's?"

Ok, so I dont really use that last one too often, but thats a cool scene :)

Moe Dickstein said:
Is #3 on Criterion? It looks like some Japanese new wave thing from the 60s
Bingo, a little obscure I know, good catch. Its called "The Warped Ones" aka "The Weird Lovemakers"

1960's Japanese Jazz gang rebel without a cause kind of movie. One of those late night TCM binges some years back :) Kind of stuck with me in a bit of a disturbing way actually.

Elijah

Supporting Actor
So heres one I couldnt resist; Spacecraft

By their nature they're pretty recognizable so nothing super difficult here (though tried to avoid the Star (Trek|Wars) series.

Oh, and no googling for "spacecraft in movies" :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
#1 - Sunshine (???) Not certain.
#3 - Zardoz - Any self respecting member who posts in Testy is going to recognize the floating stone head from the film that features Sean Connery sporting a red diaper. That's someone's cue, by the way. :)
#6 - Silent Running - The forest ships.
#11 - Dune - The Spacing Guild's ships transporting House Atreides from Caladan to Arrakis.
#12 - 2001: A Space Odyssey - Still my favorite film of all time.
#13- Close Encounters of the Third Kind. (???)
#14 - Aliens? The Sulaco? Maybe. I remember thinking the ship looked like a gun with a magazine.

I'm kind of intrigued by number 5. It seems familiar, but I can't place it.

- Walter.

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Walter Kittel said:
#1 - Sunshine (???) Not certain.
#3 - Zardoz - Any self respecting member who posts in Testy is going to recognize the floating stone head from the film that features Sean Connery sporting a red diaper. That's someone's cue, by the way. :)
#6 - Silent Running - The forest ships.
#11 - Dune - The Spacing Guild's ships transporting House Atreides from Caladan to Arrakis.
#12 - 2001: A Space Odyssey - Still my favorite film of all time.
#13- Close Encounters of the Third Kind. (???)
#14 - Aliens? The Sulaco? Maybe. I remember thinking the ship looked like a gun with a magazine.

I'm kind of intrigued by number 5. It seems familiar, but I can't place it.

- Walter.
Well you were right on all but #13! I'll give a hint, #9 and #13 are related somehow.

We'll see who gets #5, I think someone is going to pick that one up.

Good call on the USS Valley Forge forge from Silent Running as well as the ship from Sunshine (really liked that one IIRC).

And I couldnt resist Zardoz, we'll keep the Red Panties of Doom off this thread for a little while longer :)

Extra points if you remember the name of the ship from Alien as well.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Extra points if you remember the name of the ship from Alien as well.
I've seen Alien probably 30 or 40 times over the years since its theatrical release, so an easy one. Nostromo, which if you google it will also call up a wiki page for Joseph Conrad who set the novel Nostromo in the mining town of Sulaco. I know I've seen those robots(?) in shot #9 before but I can't place them.

I am a big fan of the first 3/4 of Sunshine. It kind of comes unraveled at the end when it goes all Event Horizon.

- Walter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Neil Middlemiss said:
Enemy Mine saw a limited release but I think is sold out already. Don't recall if it was a Twilight Time release or another group.
Thanks for the info Neil. Hopefully it will get a blu-ray release here in the UK too. Lifeforce out soon, woohoo. :)

Spaceship quiz, okaay -

3. Zardoz (has spoken!)

4. Spaceballs

5. Moonraker (a guilty fave)

6. Silent Running

8. Flight of the Navigator

9. Batteries Not Included

10. District 9

11. Dune (a huge favourite of mine, I have 3 different extended fan edits of this film)

12. Kubrick's Masterpiece

13. Geriatrics in Space

14. hmmm Sulaco? Aliens? (I don't think that shot's in the film)

btw I've written articles on some of these - :3dglasses:

http://stevelensman.hubpages.com/#mycontent_entertainment_and_media_hubs

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The only ones I knew right away were 4 - Spaceballs and 10 - District 9.

So. . .are you guys seeing "Gravity" this weekend?

I guess I didn't mention the 3 films I saw this past weekend:

Don Jon - Pretty good writing/directing/starring job from Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I dislike Scarlett J, but I suppose she fit the part pretty well (which was being annoying!!) Perhaps it wraps up a little too neatly, but not a bad first effort at all.

Enough Said - Brought a few tears to my eyes when Gandolfini first appeared. This was a really good movie, though, with some good natural banter between the 2 leads. Except for a certain plot point, it felt quite real and I also enjoyed the subplot involving the daughter and friend.

Rush - I know nothing of formula 1 or the real people portrayed in the film. I think that actually added a layer of suspense, as I did not know the fate of the characters. Interesting look at these 2 rivals and their totally different attitude toward the sport and life in general.

I bought a couple of tickets for HIFF this month. Will be seeing Kore-eda Hirokazu's "Like Father, Like Son" and the South Korean "Cold Eyes".

Speaking of Twilight Time's exclusive release of "Enemy Mine" earlier, I'm puzzled why they got the exclusive 3000 copy release of "The Way We Were" in the U.S. Surely that is a major catalog title and it was released all over the world. TT's release may be the only one with some extras so I may have to go that route. So far, I only have "Bite the Bullet", "Body Double", "Hard Times" and "The Driver" from TT. I also don't like this trend of films being released all over the world first, with unconfirmed U.S. releases, like "Tootsie" and "Romeo and Juliet" (1969). I do have the latter on order from the UK, along with "The Last American Virgin". I always found that one a rather split personality film with a rather silly first half and a serious and heartbreaking second half -- very fond of it, though, and the soundtrack (even if they play "Just Once" about 4 times).

My longest post ever!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Having been on a short vacation (yes, to the US of all places), I only learned of RickER's passing today.

I'm shocked of course, and I agree with all those who testify they will miss him. It's a big loss for the forum.
Rest in peace, Rick! We'll remember you!

(I believe it's very correct to remember Rick here, in this thread, my first thought when I heard the sad news.)

Cees

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Steve Christou said:
Thanks for the info Neil. Hopefully it will get a blu-ray release here in the UK too. Lifeforce out soon, woohoo. :)Spaceship quiz, okaay -3. Zardoz (has spoken!)4. Spaceballs5. Moonraker (a guilty fave)6. Silent Running8. Flight of the Navigator9. Batteries Not Included10. District 911. Dune (a huge favourite of mine, I have 3 different extended fan edits of this film)12. Kubrick's Masterpiece13. Geriatrics in Space14. hmmm Sulaco? Aliens? (I don't think that shot's in the film)btw I've written articles on some of these - :3dglasses:http://stevelensman.hubpages.com/#mycontent_entertainment_and_media_hubs
14 is definitely the Sulaco but you are right, that's not a shot from Aliens (or Alien 3 for that matter).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.