What's new

Testy Area 51 (2 Viewers)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Mike,

Yes, I saw Mud at the theater. I thought it was quite good, especially Tye Sheridan's performance as the main boy.

I'm looking forward to At World's End this weekend. I guess summer is really over since that's considered the big release for the week. :) (Well, perhaps that Mortal Instruments film -- hopefully it's not a cliffhanger ending as it will never get to conclude.) And of course, I have some Ethan Hawke next week.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth S said:
Mike,

Yes, I saw Mud at the theater. I thought it was quite good, especially Tye Sheridan's performance as the main boy.
I agree. In particular, I thought the script was especially well-written. All dialogue sounded authentic across all characters.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hey everybody! Dropping by to say hello. I sawed that Elysium movie! It was good, but I like District 9 a lot more. By a bunch. Still a fun time at the theater though, I give it 3.5/5

Off to see a double header of Kickass 2 and The World's End. I never did see Wolverine, maybe this week if I don't see You're Next first. Plan on watching the Bluray of Shane tonight. A classic western I've never seen. Looking forward to that.

So basically I'm letting you all know, I'M WATCHING ALL THE MOVIES TODAY!

Liz, Only God Forgives has it's violent moments, but I don;t think any of it is as visceral as Drive was. It's an odd film that I think tries to hard. I'd be curious to see what you all think!

I think I'm the only person on the planet who has absolutely no problem with Ben Affleck being Batman. :banana:

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Hmmm, Russell, the reviews/comments made Only God Forgives seem immensely more unpleasantly violent than Drive. Perhaps I'll give it a chance on Blu. . . I find violent/scary movies have much less impact at home on the small screen.

I saw The World's End today. I really wanted to love it, but it wasn't quite as funny/good as I hoped.

I think Affleck will be OK as Batman. I'm more surprised he would want the role after having earned so much respect as a director and with recent acting roles. It's putting himself out there to be a punching bag again.

The casting announcement I'm more anxious about is who will play Christian Grey. :lol:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Speaking of him as a director I noticed that a extended directions cut of Argo is coming soon. Also....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Cant use the tablet or phone to post picture yet I see.

20130820_170157_Exposition Blvd.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hmm Liz, maybe Only God Forgives was more violent then ha ha. I don't remember it being as brutal though. It's a bit of a flabbergasting movie!

Kick-Ass 2! I LOVED the first one. I did not love this one. It's not bad, but it's far from great. Everything is there to be better than the original it just isn't. If it wasn't for Chloe as Hit Girl it would of been dull as dishwater. 3/5

The World's End - unlike Liz, I loved it! Maybe it's a guys movie? A dick flick? Like how movies like Eat Pray Love are chick flicks? Anyway, yeah, this one was pretty much perfect. Original, funny and with great performances all around. Edgar Write continues to get better and better, and I continue to love all his movies. This one might be my favourite of the year. A summer movie without the bloat that bogs down the billion dollar studio films. 4/5

Shane - Nope, there never was a man like Shane. 3.5/5

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I liked At World's End, Russell, just wanted to LOVE it. I'm sure you're right about the film pulling strongly male, though. I was reading some reviews after seeing it and several described Gary as an alcoholic. That actually never occurred to me -- just because someone wants to do a 12-pub crawl doesn't make him an alcoholic!! (Though I guess it's a reference to the 12 steps.)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just checking in, haven't been in Testy for awhile.

Watched Mud this weekend and really enjoyed the film and the performances. Posted more about it in Ron's thread over in Blu-ray.

Also recently caught my first viewing of Oblivion and probably liked it a bit more than the critics. Yeah, there were certainly derivative story elements in the film that I spotted right away, but I thought the director did a good job of weaving them into the film's narrative and they did not prove a distraction for me. I wouldn't mind having Tom Cruise's pad in the woods or his base of operations in a remote mountainous setting. His little air ship was pretty nice and looks like it would be a blast to fly (if it were real :) ). I'd give the film an easy 3 out of 4 stars and will revisit it in the future.

- Walter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've heard that Oblivion is pretty good. I'm waiting for a bluray sale to hit it around $15 before grabbing though. Things have changed from a few years ago. With all the rental places going broke and killing the previously viewed sales, it's hard to find cheap blurays and DVDs.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Are you kidding me??!?!?!? Charlie Hunnam and Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey?!?!?!?! I love Charlie, but he is NOT Christian Grey. This is going to taint his career and make him a household name in a negative way. And Dakota from "Ben and Kate"??? (I didn't know she was Don and Melanie's daughter while watching that show.) WRONG, WRONG, ALL WRONG!!!

I saw Closed Circuit yesterday. Thought it was OK. Didn't feel very "fresh".

Watched Trance last night. I really liked it!! I'm so glad I hadn't seen any trailers for it beforehand.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As I posted elsewhere, caught my first viewing of Cloud Atlas, on Blu-ray, this weekend. Pretty solid film that certainly was ambitious. It didn't blow me away, but I believe I will enjoy a second viewing perhaps a bit more than the first. I was distracted by the re-use of the actors at times, trying to figure out who was who under the makeup. Some of the makeup was effective and some of it was pretty terrible. (By design?)

I enjoyed the themes and the linking devices and how each of the vignettes seemed to be its own style of film. Some nice references to earlier works of the cast and crew gave the film a bit of a boost in enjoyment as well. I suspect that a second viewing will be more rewarding.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread