What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw World War Z today. I enjoyed it and thought it had some suspenseful moments. But I somehow didn't feel a great emotional impact toward the devastation happening around the world as literally millions are tallying up every minute. Maybe that's just me. :unsure: There also isn't enough characterization to the side characters to make their fates that affecting. But I liked it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I, accompanied by our two grown kids, went to see the latest Pixar effort today: Monsters University.

You guys know how much of a Pixar fan I am.

It (and the short film before it) was crap. We all felt the exact same way about it...and had to split into pairs because the theater was filled. When we compared notes later we all agreed--crap. The audience (which included a fair share of kids--as you might expect) didn't respond to it all that much either.

A major disappointment.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
turkeyday3small.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
You have to be able to take the days as they come, since the weather can change dramatically from one day to another up at Stanley. See 10 day slideshow here: http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/dailyslideshow3.html There's little snow on the peaks right now and it's early for that.

You can almost hear John Denver sing...
Almost heaven, Stanley ValleySawtooth MountainsMighty Salmon River -Life is old thereOlder than the treesYounger than the mountainsGrowin' like a breeze
The beater Miata has cleaned up a lot since I bought it at the end of 2011. Odd how some things are built to last, others are throwaways (e.g. DVD players).

EDIT I checked the logs - it got down to - 28 degrees F in Stanley last January.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The weather is bonkers all over. We've had record flooding in southern alberta, not as bad in my town of Edmonton which is north, but it's still been positively British the past couple weeks.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike Frezon said:
So, apparently a ton of snow landed on Sawtooth on June 20th...but then it's gone the next day?
confused03.gif

Welcome to mountain weather....

Stanley temps on 20 June were high 56 and low 29. Temperatures of 56 with super low humidity melt snow pretty quickly. The elevation at Stanley is 6,200 feet with the mountains going up to 10,000 feet. Think of standing at the top of your local Mt. Washington and that's what the valley floor of Stanley can be like.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mount Marcy is the highest of the Adirondack high peaks and only has an elevation of 5300+ feet.

Your mountains would probably only spurn it and mock it and not let it play in any of their "mountain games."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
Mike,
That car has a rear seat...NOT a sports car.
But, your honor, I only called it a convertible.

Here. I bet there's no back seat in this little number. But there is some mountainous terrain in the background...

tumblr_lypj3vJA6s1qifbhqo1_1280.jpg

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That was the only pic I had handy on the iPad, just got it 2 weeks ago.I wondered if anyone could tell what it was - lets play a game, guess the make and model of my convertible =)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I wondered if anyone could tell what it was - lets play a game, guess the make and model of my convertible =)
I'm not certain but I believe that it is a Saab 9-3.

I don't have any pictures of my little car, but if you google for a "2008 MX-5 Grand Touring Black Tan" that will get you in the ball park. It puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. I can only imagine how much fun it must be to drive a drop top in locations as scenic as Sawtooth.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.