Premium
Senior HTF Member
What are ya...chicken?

Chicken-Photos-20zhx0f.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Interesting story about a Dutch doctor from Friesland who had problems in the mountainous western US.......

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/06/14/2617538/tourists-boise-medical-crisis.html
While on a hike at Yellowstone, they encountered a couple of bears - but that was the least of their troubles.
Van der Woude wasn't able to keep up with his wife due to increasing weakness and difficulty breathing.
"I felt tension in my chest, and I was hiding it from her," van der Woude recalled Thursday afternoon. "We were on holiday, I can't spoil it. I won't spoil it."
But he began to suspect he was suffering from pneumonia; the symptoms were similar to what he'd experienced before, he said. They continued on their trip to Jackson, Wyo., and then to Boise.....
Barnes delivered the bad news: Van der Woude had pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis - massive blood clots in his lungs and legs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
Interesting story about a Dutch doctor from Friesland who had problems in the mountainous western US.......

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/06/14/2617538/tourists-boise-medical-crisis.html
Dennis:

That is stunning. Eerie. The parallels are crazy.

Let's see:

--Guy from Friesland. Pieter Friesen (the guy from whom my entire family descended) was from there. He came to the US in the 18th century and fought in the Revolutionary War. Check.

--Has wife and two kids. Check.

--Thought he had pneumonia. Check.

--Trouble breathing. ER room doc dismisses the pneumonia diagnosis and discovers the truth. Check.

--Blood clots in lungs and legs. Potentially fatal. Check.

--Aggressive anti-clotting procedure. Potentially fatal. Check.

--Wonderful care from local hospital staff. Check.

--Lifetime of blood-thinning medication. Check.

But I haven't run into any bears lately. :biggrin:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike,
I figured it might be spooky for both you and Cees......

Also that the doc's name is the same as my Idaho state representative...
http://legislature.idaho.gov/house/membershipSingle.cfm?ID=67

Note I posted in the comments about altitude perhaps being a causitive factor. I'm always alert to the symptoms when hiking in the mountains here, and I at least have a base altitude of 2,700 feet at home.

Skiing in the west is different than skiing in the east. When I skied at Heavenly in California, the top of the lift was over 10,000 ft. East coast skiers used to skiing in Vermont at 3,000 ft. make the mistake of having a few stiff drinks at lunch and then having terrible accidents (running into trees/over a cliff) on their first run after lunch. People from California don't drink at all over lunch.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One can never account for reporters and the accuracy of detail in terms of the medical stuff, but I would be surprised if the flight from the NL to western US wasn't the chief suspect in the blood clotting. The combination of altitude and state of being sedentary are what is often pointed to in terms of leg clotting.

And then all those long car drives as they traveled-about probably didn't help any.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Testing Testing

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy

I went and saw Man of Steel last night (cue gasps, fistbiting etc) someone had to!

An improvement over Superman Returns which now actually looks like an episode of Smallville compared to this movie. I wasn't convinced that Henry Cavill would be an effective Superman / Clark Kent from the few films I've seen him in but he was good and he looks the part.

All the main actors were good in this film, Russell Crowe especially good as Jor-El. Michael Shannon plays General Zod less like a supervillain and more as a superpatriot, not once does he ask Supes to kneel before him. :)

The biggest fault of this film is that there is too much action and not enough humour, one huge setpiece follows another, lets have a breather, Take Lois Lane for a flight round Metropolis, a bit of romance, lets have some scenes in the Daily Planet, nope action action action! Maybe I'm just getting old.

Come to think of it we don't see Clark Kent wear his glasses until the last few minutes of the film.

And it's strange to watch a Superman film and not hear John Williams majestic main theme. Hans Zimmer takes over here.

All in all I enjoyed it but it did seem like a 3 hour film that was cut down to 140mins.

Next Up - Pacific Rim.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm off to see Man of Steelz tomorrow night. I have no expectations, and no love for any of the other movies so I'm hoping to get a kick out of it. As far as I'm concerned, the best Superman adaptation is still that cartoon show "The New Adventures of Superman". DC cartoons were really knocking it out of the park in the 90's. :)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I saw Man of Steel this weekend. It was OK. Just overkill on the action at the end. And it really bothered me that Superman let the mayhem occur in the city (killing who knows how many) without taking it away somewhere. And I always say "never mind Lois Lane -- they better not forget Lana Lang!" and well. . .she was minisculely there. I don't think I've seen Cavill in anything else (did not get to "The Tudors" yet), but he really wasn't given a chance to establish much of a personality/charisma.

I also saw Before Midnight. Oh, my beloved trilogy and Ethan Hawke. I didn't think Celine came across very likeable in this. . . and that utterly hurtful line she delivers. . . This movie had men on my other forum crying in the theater. I'm as awed as always at the way the dialogue just rolls along (and much improvised, I'm sure) in some very long takes. I just feel such fondness for this series and the characters.

I also saw This is the End (how's that for an eclectic weekend?). This was entertaining in a crazy, stupid way. A funny cameo I had not heard about beforehand. A lot more effects than I was expecting.

Going to try to fit in World War Z and Much Ado About Nothing this weekend.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Everyone, I finally saw Man of Steel so we're all going to be okay! I LOVED it! Let's face it, the Donner film with Margot Kidder as the brassy bitch Loise Lane were always kind of stupid. This one was just great. I found the take fascinating, the whole "gods amongst men" thing with Supes trying to find himself. It's what Terrence Mallick would of done with a superhero film, only with more shit blowing up every 10 minutes. i enjoyed how the romance in this came from plot, as opposed to being weird set pieces like that shit-terrible Loise song in the second one.

So yeah, this is right up their with the cartoons for me, the GREATEST Superman film EVER MADE! GIVE ME MORE MORE MORE SUPERDUPERMAN MORE!

Liz, I'm not much of a Seth Rogan or James Franco fan, but the trailer for This is The End might of won me over. I don't think Before Midnight is even playing in my stupid city. I'm hoping for a bluray boxset.

Pacific Rim is on my list, as is that one with the paranormal investigators, Elisyum or however it's spelled. Umm... some other one there was a trailer for last night, I forget... The Wolverine? Is that out this year? I've not seen a trailer. Thor 2 looks great, it's end of the year though. Oh! RIPD with Jeff Bridges. The CGI looks horrible, but the movie looks like a lot fun. That's the trailer I forgot about. :D

It might be a weird "white guilt" thing, but The Lone Ranger looks insulting and terrible all at once.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I also have no interest in The Lone Ranger. And agree RIPD and Pacific Rim looked fun. Hmmm, I think Elysium looks interesting, though I didn't think it's about paranormal investigators.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.