What's new

Testy Area 51 (4 Viewers)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
you gotta get the blu-rays so you can hear JB's commentary =) I felt the same way about SNF when I went to look at it again when I started working with John. It's pretty hard R lol, it's a musical with rapes and racism lol

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'd love to see John Badham's Dracula get a blu-ray release here in the UK and with all the original colour photography by Gil Taylor fully restored. The DVD version was a sepia-toned washout.

NASA spent $800m so that the Mars rovers can draw a penis on the surface of the Red Planet. :3dglasses:

mars drawing.jpg

The twin exploration vehicles Spirit and Opportunity were launched nine years ago, in an effort to search the surface of Mars for signs of water erosion and possibly even life.
According to Nasa, since then the rovers have driven over more than 10km of Martian land, directed by teams back on Earth combined with autonomous cameras designed to avoid potential problems with the terrain.
It appears that part of the robots' programming involves spinning in tight circles to test nearby terrain and find new routes.
Humorously, depending on your age perhaps, that has the unfortunate consequence of drawing a certain shape on the surface, which when discovered by Reddit essentially crashed Nasa's website.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/24/mars-rover-penis-nasa_n_3144656.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Steve, what you see on the Dracula disc is EXACTLY how the director intends the movie to look.When shooting he wanted this look, and as you know in color you get a base look and then you would apply work in post-production to get the look. What happened with this film, and also with Josh Logan's South Pacific was that he was told that there was a way to get this effect photochemically (as Logan was told that the color filters could be removed and to stop shooting things both ways). The plan didn't work to get the look, and so the film went out the way you describe with "full colors"As soon as technology caught up to the original plans however, JB was able to get Dracula looking the way it was supposed to.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I remember people not liking the remixed Dracula DVD when it came out. Sounds like a case where both versions should be included. I still haven't seen it.

Just curious Moe, what type of work do you do with Badham?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Problem is Moe by the time Badham got the film looking like he always wanted it to look, fans of the film like me had already seen it 50 times, so it came as a bit of a shock to see all the colour drained out like that. Like Russell suggests, maybe both versions can be released on blu-ray in the future.

I remember seeing Dracula at the cinema the same week I saw Love at First Bite and not long after that I saw George Chakiris play Dracula on the stage in Shaftesbury Avenue, Roy Dotrice played Van Helsing.

p.s. Chakiris was the leader of the Sharks in West Side Story.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
John is well aware of the feelings of the fans, but I can also understand his point of view as a director myself - these works are like your children and letting "wrong" versions go out, even if they've been available, is like sending your kids out to school in rags, when you know how they should be dressed. It's painful and embarrassing.I work as John's assistant, Russell

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As I said on Facebook, it looks like The Matrix finally reached the top of GE's Netflix queue.

"This movie is AMAZING!!!"

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Mike Frezon said:
I suppose Elizabeth could always let us know how hers got changed...

:rolleyes:
I do not know what "Extended Edit" is and did not do anything! I would not have noticed if Russell didn't mention it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth S said:
Do you guys have a "Group" in your profile? Mine shows Member: Advanced Member and my Group: Extended Edit.
Is this under: Edit My Profile/General Account Settings/Profile Settings?

I don't see anything like what you describe.

In a section labeled Profile Information, I see a blank field next to "Member Title."

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't see how to edit that group thing. Which is good since we'd all change it to "Owner" or "Moderator" or something. I would think the mods would have access to it, but I guess not. WEIRD!

Obviously this means that Elizabeth is leading a strange double life that we had no idea about. :banana:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't figure it out either.

And...Elizabeth also has a 16:9 avatar image.

My avatar is also 16:9...but it can only be seen that way on my profile page. Next to my posts it appears 1:1.

But not Elizabeth's. Must be that double life thing that Russell was talking about... :biggrin:

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Mike Frezon said:
Is this under: Edit My Profile/General Account Settings/Profile Settings?

I don't see anything like what you describe.

In a section labeled Profile Information, I see a blank field next to "Member Title."
When I click on "My Profile" in the drop-down by my name at the top, it has a "Community Stats" heading in blue. Under that, it has the "Group: Extended Edit" and "Member Title: Advanced Member". But yes, under the profile settings page, there is a blank field next to "Member Title". I had not noticed my avatar is the only 16:9. :lol:

I saw Mud this weekend. Wonderful performance from Tye Sheridan as the main young boy. Good movie. Also saw Disconnect, which uses the intermingling storyline structure I enjoy so much. Felt that the Skarsgard/Patton thread wasn't quite as compelling as the others, but an excellent film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth S said:
When I click on "My Profile" in the drop-down by my name at the top, it has a "Community Stats" heading in blue. Under that, it has the "Group: Extended Edit" and "Member Title: Advanced Member". But yes, under the profile settings page, there is a blank field next to "Member Title". I had not noticed my avatar is the only 16:9. :lol:
Too funny. I can see "Member Title" (mine says "Advanced Member" in the Community Stats section...but I don't see "Group" and, the thing is, I don't know how one wouldgo about editing any of them unless it involves that blank "Member Title" field in the Edit Profile page.

One of these days--when they aren't still tweaking some more-important stuff--I'll run this all by one of the owners for some guidance.

I am more than curious to learn how Elizabeth got her "Extended Edit" designation! :laugh:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hello droogs, hey how did Elizabeth get extended edit on her profeel? Has this been discussed yet? Russells a fake shemp? What is going on?! :3dglasses:

I went and saw Iron Man Three last night, that's the way its titled on the screen btw Iron Man Three, no idea why.

Probably the best of the three films, though comic book fans will be up in arms at the way the Mandarin is treated in the film. In the comics Mandarin was Iron Mans main nemesis, hmmm Iron Man didn't really have a great roll call of supervillains, which goes for the films too. Compared to Batman and Spiderman for instance.
Guy Pearce is a memorable supervillain, I hope that wasn't a spoiler, but its obvious he wasn't going to be playing Stark's best buddy.
You see less of Tony Stark in the suit than the previous films but there is still a generous amount of action. You get your money's worth.
As usual I missed the bonus clip after the credits but I've read about it.
Highly recommended. 4 out of 5.

iron man 3 xcs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread