What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thatcher's funeral procession thingy yesterday. Miraculously people behaved themselves, no paint bombs, no eggs thrown, no Wizard of Oz ditty on loudspeakers, no spooking the horses, some people did turn their backs when the procession neared, pfft what a yawn.

Much more exciting was Oblivion, the new sci-fi thriller starring Tom Cruise. Saw it last night at my local multiplex, only in 2D but I'm not complaining I've watched too much 3D at home these past few months. My eyes needed a break. I enjoyed the film, a well made slice of sci-fi.

On a post-apocalyptic Earth, mankind has left its home and settled on Saturn's moon Titan, Tom Cruise and his female partner (Andrea Riseborough) have remained behind to fix drones and watch out for strange lifeforms that may be roaming the planet, and they report back to a massive space station orbiting the Earth. Tom keeps dreaming of a mysterious woman (Bond girl Olga Kurylenko) and when a spaceship crashes one of the survivors turns out to be, you guessed it, the girl of his dreams. That's not a spoiler because there is still 90mins of film to get through and plenty of action and surprises too. Recommended 4 out of 5.

Trailers with the film, Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2, After Earth and Fast and the Furious 5-6? Can't remember.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Christou said:
Tom keeps dreaming of a mysterious woman (Bond girl Olga Kurylenko)...
Except for all that sci-fi plot, the movie sounds like it's based on my life story...

Olga-Kurylenko-1920x1080-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey thats right Wall-E, Total Recall and a mix of Demolition Man and Mad Max too, oh what a giveaway! :3dglasses:

Sadly Mike, Olga keeps her clothes on in this one. The other girl, Andrea Riseborough, has a nude swim though.

Have to mention the visual effects were fantastic, the widescreen photography was excellent. Must have been a humdinger of an apocalyptic war, all thats left of New York is the top spire of the Empire State Building sticking out of the ground. Damn them all to hell! [weeps]

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'll be seeing Oblivion this weekend; glad you liked it, Steve.

I saw The Place Beyond the Pines this week. As usual, I avoided reading much about it beforehand so was a bit surprised by the structure of the film. Gosling's character has a similar vibe to his driver in "Drive". He really does have that ability to be compelling and charismatic even in his silence. I felt more drawn in to the opening act of the film but it was overall quite a good film.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Place Behind The Pines looks pretty good. I'll probably miss it though since I got a busy couple weeks ahead of me and it doesn't star Tom Cruise.

Oblivion looks pretty good, but like every Tom Cruise film I can think of from the past few years, it just doesn't interest me. I don't know why, I don't hate Cruise or care about the couch jumping and all that, he just seems to make cookie cutter action films now that would probably be more fun as direct to video titles. I completely forgot about that Jack Reacher film he did last. Shouldn't he be doing great dramas by now? Remember how good he was in Born on the Fourth of July, Eyes Wide Shut and Rainman, those type of films? He was always a better actor than action star. I better write him a letter.

I re-watched Django Unchained on Blu this week and loved it even more the second time. Best picture winner Argo was pretty good, but forgettable compared to Django and Zero Dark Thirty. Oh Oscars, you will never get it right!

Cooper sounds like a pretty decent guy. I was never much of a fan, but I have to admit he's pretty great in Silver Lining Playbook which is a movie I liked way more than I thought I would.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I watched Oblivion the other night and it brought me back to the science fiction films of the 70's. Lots of nice twists and turns. I felt it could have had a bit longer running time to flesh out the characters more. All in all I really liked it. 6

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I wouldn't rave, but I enjoyed Oblivion.

Russell, yeah, maybe Tom Cruise could mix it up a little more but maybe he might as well do the action stuff while he still can. I've been enjoying his recent films. I've never seen Born on the Fourth of July, though I have the Blu and intend to sometime.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope i can see Oblivion some time this week. Hard to believe Iron Man 3 will be out in a few short weeks! I will need to see it too.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You know, I was grossing about Cruise being boring, but he did that Rock Of Ages musical I never had the nerve to watch a year or so a go so I guess I should cut him a break!

Everyone says Oblivion is great, so I guess I'll try to go next week.

Speaking of musicals, I finally saw Saturday Night Fever a few weeks ago. It's good! I wrote it off as a dumb disco movie since I'm a punk rocker, but I have to say, it's pretty solid and holds up well. Gene Siskel was on to something! Grease was included with the pack I got, I have to work up some more nerve before I sit through that one. The clips I've seen make my skin crawl.

Mike, Elizabeth has "Extended Edit" under her avatar, what does that mean and who do I have to blow/kill to get special treatment around this dump? :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Mike, Elizabeth has "Extended Edit" under her avatar, what does that mean and who do I have to blow/kill to get special treatment around this dump? :laugh:
That...gave me a real laugh today! :rolling-smiley:

I have no idea how that gets done/changed. I'll see what I can find out...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thats a different option.

It's the same place where mine says ambassador. I can't change that.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Russell G said:
Speaking of musicals, I finally saw Saturday Night Fever a few weeks ago. It's good! I wrote it off as a dumb disco movie since I'm a punk rocker, but I have to say, it's pretty solid and holds up well. Gene Siskel was on to something!
I'll tell my boss John Badham you liked it! It's funny to me how people think it's a musical though (JB considers it one so you're right and I'm wrong). In my mind the CHARACTERS have to sing for it to be a musical. Otherwise it's just a drama with a lot of songs.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Moe Dickstein said:
I'll tell my boss John Badham you liked it! It's funny to me how people think it's a musical though (JB considers it one so you're right and I'm wrong). In my mind the CHARACTERS have to sing for it to be a musical. Otherwise it's just a drama with a lot of songs.
Ha ha, that's great! You can tell him that VHS tapes of Wargames and Blue Thunder were pretty much worn out in my house in the 80's as well! I expected it to be a flat out musical about disco which is why it was avoided for such a long time but you're right, it's much more of a character study. It feels like a snap shot of a sub culture more then a proper musical. If it was a proper musical, that Odyssey club wouldn't of felt like a scuzzy dump. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread