What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw The Expendables 2 today. The cast makes it very enjoyable. I don't believe I've ever seen a movie theatrically that was SO GRAINY, though. Not the entire film, but quite a few scenes. I don't know if it was something to hide the fact that they aren't spring chickens, but this isn't going to look too pretty on blu either. I also had to sit closer than I usually like because I had to change seats before it began. Went early to pick out my favorite seat, then had a guy sit nearby who kept clearing his throat -- I know that would have annoyed me if it continued through the movie.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
2a835569_seanconnerydog.jpeg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Bought Jaws on Blu-ray haven't checked it out yet. Lawrence of Arabia next monday. "No Prisoners!" [bites fist]

I've ordered a 3D 42inch TV from Amazon, £580 and a 3D Blu-ray player for £100, both LG. 4 glasses free, no batteries its passive 3D, I think they're the same glasses you get at the cinema. From what I've read "passive 3D" isn't full HD resolution like the battery powered active shutter glasses but on the plus side you don't get flicker and misalignment like you do on the heavier active shutter ones. On the minus side there are less than a hundred 3D movies available to buy. Damn and I was hoping Jaws and Lawrence would be out in 3D by now. [bites knee] ;)

Currently I have three blu-rays in 3D at home - Hugo, Drive Angry and The Three Musketeers! Quite a collection eh?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice purchase on the TV Steef! now you have to hold off watching anything in 3D until you get Dial M For Murder. Good luck with that! :P

I still haven't watched Jaws. I'll wait for horror month in October. I was all a panic that I missed out on pre-ordering Lawrence but it's not out until November here. What the hell! I ended up ordering the Universal Monsters blurays out of the UK so I could get the Coffin packaging. Hopefully Universal doesn't screw the pooch on these like they did Spartacus. The current bluray reviews for most of their 100 anniversary items have been overwhelmingly positive so they seem to have things in hand. At the end of the month the art house theater is screen The Birds, Frankenstein and The Incredible Shrinking Man, all struck on new prints. Should be great. I'm going to try to catch them all. Especially Frankenstein, one of my all time favourites.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Blu-ray of Jaws looks splendid. Not sure what you guys are waiting for - but then again I've got my own share of great releases that I still haven't viewed yet; so who am I to question anyone else? :) Thought I was going to screen Harvey on Blu-ray this weekend but simply did not get to it. Currently finishing the 2nd season of Boardwalk Empire in anticipation of Season 3 starting on September 16th. Watching way too much television and it only gets worse this month (in terms of hours spent.) A good friend of mine has been coming over to view season 1 of Homeland at my place also so not much time for movies these days.
Congrats on the new television Steve. Personally not a big fan of 3D but hope you enjoy the presentations.
- Walter.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I saw Robot & Frank this weekend. Really good performance from Frank Langella -- absolutely convincing. I also saw Premium Rush. It was pretty fun and that Michael Shannon is always so weird.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks so ODD in the trailer for Looper. I don't think the prosthetics/make-up makes him look like Bruce Willis, just really, really strange.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Michael Shannon is always so weird
Yep. Last year's Take Shelter and the first two seasons of Boardwalk Empire all point in that direction.
Looking forward to Looper. It is probably the next film that gets me to the theater.
- Walter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I doubt anything will beat Michael Shannon being weird in Bug. not the greatest Freidkin film but certainly an interesting one. Speaking of Freidkin, I watched Sorcerer for the first time over the weekend. I'll take Wages Of Fear anyday, but it was interesting. The fullscreen copy of a copy did it no favours, I'll wait for a proper DVD/Blu release to re-evaluate.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Sorcerer is one that I've been waiting and waiting for in OAR. I didn't love it when I saw it theatrically, but I have a great desire to see it again as I've grown fonder of it in memory. Supposedly, Friedkin was working on a commentary for a blu-ray release, but who knows?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Elizabeth S /t/81187/testy-area-51/28470#post_3970550
Sorcerer is one that I've been waiting and waiting for in OAR. I didn't love it when I saw it theatrically, but I have a great desire to see it again as I've grown fonder of it in memory. Supposedly, Friedkin was working on a commentary for a blu-ray release, but who knows?
Just saw a post in the DVD section about this with Friedkin suing the studios in an attempt to get the rights sorted so he can put it out. Hope it get's sorted, it deserves better.

I'll never understand marketing. I know that Friedkin isn't really a house hold name anymore, but you would think the studios would be pushing his films on the back of "The Exorcist" as much as possible. Francis Ford Coppola seems to be doing direct to video now, his latest Twixt I think went straight to VOD despite having directed at least 3 absolute world cinema classics.

It's stupid.

I've ben watching the first volume of the platinum Loony Tunes collection. I'm sorry, but they should of cleaned up the cell dust. I know it was part of the production, but I call bullshit on that excuse. I've seen footage of them making these cartoons, they blow the cells trying to get rid of that dust. It was a necessary evil that could be gotten rid of now. On some of these toons it's really distracting watching it crawl around. They clean the dust off the live action films, they should do it on these too.

Say that though and the membership puts on their extra twisty panties so they can pull them in to knots about how pure they are and that I don't understand cartoons. Blech!

Did I mention that I saw The Possession? It's not the worst nor the best film you will see. If you like possession movies I'm sure you'll get something out of this. It was more concerned with having an explosive sound field instead of generating proper suspense and scares. Everyone was good in it, The Comedian guy especially is likable on screen. Has a nice twist too in that it's a Jewish Exorcism movie, I don't think that's been done. Maybe it has, I don't know. In the end the film just kind of streams out and your eyes see it and then it ends and you go "huh". 2.5/5

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Watched Dumas.. sorry Milla's The Three Musketeers in 3D last night, very nice, very sharp and clear. Not quite as effective as watching it in 3D at the cinema, I think to be really effective the screen should fill most of your field of vision.

I also tried the 2D to 3D conversion on Dune and I went a little cross-eyed but some scenes looked pretty good, I saw a scene from the anime Howl's Moving Castle in pseudo-3D and it looked like real 3D a scene where they are running thru an alley, the walls moving towards you looked like real 3D.

Tonight, Hugo in 3D, curious to see what a master filmmaker like Scorsese does with 3D.

Prometheus is coming out soon on blu-ray. James Cameron is a fan -

Quote:

As someone who was connected to the "Alien" legacy, what did you think about "Prometheus"?
I enjoyed "Prometheus"; I thought it was great. I thought it was Ridley returning to science fiction with gusto, with great tactical performance, beautiful photography, great native 3D. There might have been a few things that I would have done differently, but that’s not the point, you could say that about any movie.
Did it make you feel like you wanted to revisit the world of "Alien" at all?
No. No, I feel that I’m too far away from it right now, too much other work has been done -- too thickly layered, a palimpsest of other talents from Fincher to everybody that’s come along since.
Do you enjoy watching other people’s movies?
Oh, yeah. I’m a huge movie fan. I love watching films. I love watching films with the family, with the kids; I love watching films myself. I was out there opening night [for] "Prometheus." I didn’t go to the Thursday midnight screening, but I was there Friday. I like to still get excited about movies and whether they pay off or not, that’s not the point -- the fact that there’s still an excitement around a new movie, about the an unveiling of a new movie.
So you’re able to enjoy movies as a viewer?
"Prometheus" is a film I saw twice, and I thought about it ahead of time. The first time I would just enjoy it, go for the ride, not be too analytical and the second time I would allow myself to be a little more analytical about, you know, where the lights were and how they lit the shots with all the people in the helmets, how they probably had to do CG faceplates like we did on "Avatar," things like that. But, sometimes, so that I preserve a fun, fan-like viewing experience, I won’t get into that level. I’ll just go for the ride, like, consciously.
Do you like to watch television?
No.
You don’t watch any TV?
Zero. I don’t have a TV. I took it out of the house. I was watching too much TV, so I took it out.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/09/06/james-cameron-titanic-kat_n_1861572.html

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's reaffirming to know that James Cameron is the exact type of pretentious asshole I always thought he would be.

I'm looking forward to Prometheus on Blu. Loved the film in the theater, glad I snuck it in before it vanished. I'm not the least bit interested in any of the million Avatar films currently planned. I'll see whatever comes out, but I'd rather see Cameron break some more new ground instead of jerking himself off with Ferngully in Space. Avatar was a pretty but hollow experience for a movie. Don't see what's left to say about that world. The aliens live on a planet in a perfect circle of life thing. We should do that on earth. I get it. I don't need 4 more films to preach at me about how shit humans are.

My weekends looking like a home reno shit show so I probably wont get any films in. :(

I watched The Double Life Of Veronique. Worst spy film EVER! She never sleuths anything and there's no mystery! Very pretty to look at though and good for what it is. But trust me guys, there's no "double life", secret identity spy stuff in this at ALL! 3/5 (BLUE WHITE RED trilogy was much better, in my opinion.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

[COLOR= rgb(0, 85, 187)]palimpsest[/COLOR] (ˈpælɪmpˌsɛst)

n

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]1.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]a[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]manuscript[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]on[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]which[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]two[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]or[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]more[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]successive[/COLOR] texts have been written, each one being erased to make room [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]for[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]the[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]next[/COLOR]

I love adding new words to my vocabulary...

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I meant to look up "palimpsest" as well.
Saw The Words this weekend. I liked the performances by Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Irons and Zoe Saldana (never been a fan). I don't know if it's because of the structure of the film, but it didn't have the emotional impact it should have.
Been doing marathon viewings of "Touch" this weekend as I had only watched the first 2 episodes and couldn't quite fit it into my rotation. Kind of interesting and grew on me, though it becomes quite formulaic (!) week to week. I think I somehow missed recording the last 2 episodes, so I'll have to watch it on FOX online. There's only been a moment or two when I thought "Jack Bauer would kick his ass", but all in all, I totally buy Kiefer as this character.
I was preparing my watch list for the fall season and I came up with about 30 new and returning shows I plan to watch. Some will get cancelled quickly, no doubt. I never did get around to watching "Awake" or "Alcatraz" on my hard drive from last season. The new shows I plan to try include "The Last Resort", "The Following" (mid-season), "Nashville", "666 Park Avenue", maybe "Arrow". I'm sad they didn't pick up Ethan Hawke's "Exit Strategy". At least I will have "Before Midnight" to look forward to. They totally filmed that movie under the radar. Ethan said a little while ago he was in Greece with Linklater to casually talk over the possible storyline, when in reality, they had almost finished filming. Julie Delpy said they weren't filming also. And Ethan has "Sinister" coming out soon. If it doesn't sound too scary, I'll see that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth S said:
There's only been a moment or two when I thought "Jack Bauer would kick his ass", but all in all, I totally buy Kiefer as this character.
I had a bunch of those moments in the eps I watched. I remember, in particular, one scene which involved another guy at a gas station and Keifer's character got the stuffing beat out of him.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Bought Lawrence of Arabia on blu-ray from HMV, £13, 2 discs. The film is on one disc and is exactly 227mins in length. The second disc contains various docs and featurettes.
I've just put the first few scenes on to check the quality and wow wow wow the quality is stunning, just stunning. Very sharp and clear and if there is any grain I can't see it! The colours are beautiful. The sound is dts. So happy!
Now to see what it looks like converted to fake 3D... [cue gasps, fist biting and fainting].

4469cc0f_LawrenceofArabiaksk.jpeg

"Look 'orence! 'Camel'ot!"
"It's only a model."
"Shhhh!"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I ordered my copy from amazon.uk, Steve.

Shipping being what it is, I am supposed to get it in about a week's time. With it will be a copy of the Blu release of Pillow Talk. Peter O'Toole and Rock Hudson...together again!

LoA doesn't get released until November in the US...and the jerks at Amazon have only cobbed together one of those big deluxe box packages which includes a 3,420 page booklet, a pail of sand and some Lowell Thomas mustache hairs. So, I decided to go cheap and early and help out the British economy.

So glad to hear your quick glimpse was satisfactory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.