1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Henry Gale
    You're all STILL here!

That's sort of reassuring.

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Hello Henry, well Zen is still missing. Zennnnnn!

River of No Return was a good western Russ, I got my copy in a DVD box set of Monroe films. Looks great in widescreen.

3. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    This thread still lives. It creaks a bit now. But that is bound to happen with age.
    Did i tell you guys i didnt like The English remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?
    I thought it was kind of long, and just when i thought it was about to end, it still had 30 minutes to go.
    I didnt find the girl pretty, at all. I also didnt buy the two of them jumping into bed, at all.
    The mystery was interesting. I gave it 2 1/2 out of 5.
    Thats sad, because i like Fincher.
    Thanks for saving me from Lockout, Russ. I wanted to see that one.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Sort of?

SORT OF?!?!?!

[​IMG]

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Lego Zardoz? Yup, we're still around indeed....

I think I'm the only one here who preferred the Fincher Dragon to the original. That of course means that you are all wrong and have no eye for a good movie. :P

Speaking of a good movie, Cabin In The Woods was very good indeed! I'm not a Wedon fanatic like most of the nerds on the internet so I went into this with low expectations. Anyways, it totally works. A fresh take on an old horror stand by with a decent balance of humour to horror. I recommend! Give it your Lockout money! 3.5/5!

Or maybe go see Lockout since none of you know a good movie when you see it, like Finchers Dragon Tattoo Girl...

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I've only seen the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. So I can't pick a "best one" yet.

Once it was over I have to admit I did wonder why the author gave the book that particular title. I didn't read the book...but the dragon tattoo sure didn't seem to have much play in the movie (although it sure did show up once or twice).

[​IMG]

7. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw Lockout today. I took some vacation hours off from work to go see it, in fact. I didn't find it boring because I was really amused at seeing Guy Pearce in this type of role. I actually really liked him in this, though yes, the movie wasn't anything special. That one scene of Snow on the motorbike thing looked so out of place in the movie -- visually totally different from the rest of the film. And how does Maggie Grace get to work with Josh Holloway and now Guy Pearce? :P I would buy this Blu -- I probably have every Guy film out on the format. I'm waiting for "In Her Skin" to come from the Netherlands, in fact.
    Last week, I saw Jeff, Who Lives at Home. Cute little indie film -- Jason Segel and Susan Sarandon were good in it.
    I was catching up on "Justified" tonight and only have the season finale to watch. This show is just so excellent. It takes me a while to watch because I'm constantly replaying scenes to hear the line again or watch the line delivery again. This is the only show I do this. Best dialogue of all my shows. Olyphant is so good in this, as is Walton Goggins.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

My wife and I watched tonight--for the first time--1941's How Green Was My Valley.

The film--a rather melodramatic view of life in a small Welsh mining town--starred Walter Pigeon, Donald Crisp, young Roddy McDowell and Anna Lee (a personal favorite of mine). It was directed by John Ford.

It won the Best Picture Oscar that year...over such runners-up as Citizen Kane, Sergeant York, Suspicion and The Maltese Falcon.

We enjoyed the film well enough...but wonder about its choice as Best Picture.

9. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Saw Ace Attorney at the Hawaii International Film Festival today. Apparently, it's based on a Japanese video game. It was OK, and a departure for Takashi Miike. Don't think I've ever seen one of his films before since they tend to be very violent.

10. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Come on guys. . .surely someone saw The Cabin in the Woods?? Went to see it today without reading anything about it since I know the less you know the better. Because of that, I didn't know if it would exceed my gore/scare factor (prefer to watch those at home if at all). I didn't even realize it was a mini "Dollhouse" reunion. It was pretty entertaining and I especially liked Fran Kranz. The movie is INSANE.

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I viewed The Cabin In the Woods a week ago and I found it somewhat entertaining but was expecting so much more based on the critic's reviews and consequently was underwhelmed by the film. While expectations don't automatically make a film good or bad; I probably would have enjoyed this a little more if I had approached it without reading so many positive reviews. Guess it just wasn't for me. (??)
    When I first saw her, I would have sworn that the character Dana was played by Amanda Righetti, but I was wrong.
    - Walter...

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Russell reviewed it just a few posts up Elizabeth, he liked it. I'll wait for the DVD.

I saw Battleship at my local multiplex a few days ago, a good spectacular alien invasion movie set at sea and with plenty of humour. The visual effects were terrific especially difficult with all the water effects, excellent work. It's the second film I saw in the past few weeks with Taylor Kitsch as the hero. Which is the better film Battleship or John Carter? Both good SF in their own way, there's a lot more action in Battleship and it's a lot brighter thanks to it not being in 3D.

Battleship has already grossed more than $100m and hasn't even opened in the US yet which has happened before with Taken, Liam Neeson is in both films. And I think the anime Princess Mononoke had already passed $100m before reaching the West 15 years ago.

13. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I thoroughly enjoyed Nicholas Winding Refn's Drive earlier this year; so I decided to watch his previous work this afternoon with a friend. We viewed Valhalla Rising and I'm not certain what to think about the film. Kind of felt like something that Andrey Tarkovskiy or Werner Herzog might have made. Very abstract and austere with a strong visual component. I enjoyed the viewing but I'm afraid I don't understand the film very well; although perhaps that is the point of art as film - in that it leaves room for interpretation.
    Also viewed Shame from Steve McQueen starring Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan. A pretty disturbing portrait of a man whose vices and obsessions have overcome his better judgement. A terrific performance from Fassbender really anchors this film. I can't say I enjoyed it as that is the wrong emotion; but it was a rewarding film viewing experience.
    - Walter.

14. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Can't wait. :) He's also in the upcoming Oliver Stone Savages which looks a little too intense and violent for me.
    I will likely see Safe this weekend. It looks rather routine with a non-cutesy, stern-looking young girl as the center of attention, but well. . .it's Statham.

15. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I agree. While I enjoyed it, the blurbs had me expecting something really clever, twisty and genius. I am kind of surprised at the very heated arguments I've read regarding a certain part of the film.
    And Steve -- no reading spoilers until the Blu-Ray comes out!!

16. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I really liked Cabin In the Woods, but I had low expectations. ha ha.

Loved The Hungah GAAAAMMMMMEEEESSS!! Say it last weekend. Really good, never wallowed in tween angst like the borderline unwatchable Twilight films. Well worth a viewing or 3.

Next up is MONKEY! Chimpanzee... MONKEY MONKEY MONKEY! I hope at some point he bites someones fingers off before making them faceless! *Holds Breath* I'll probably go this weekend.

17. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Russell, you've seen "Battle Royale", right? "Hunger Games" was good, but it irks me that it is a rip-off of "BR". The novel of "BR" came out a long time ago, and the movie itself is over 10 years old. I've read "BR" but not "HG".

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I've seen Battle Royale yeah. Hunger Games is certainly a rip off, and the authors claim that she had no idea that it existed is horse shit if you ask me, they really are similar. that said, I'm good with Hunger Games. I liked it. It wasn't retarded. And Donald Sutherland is in it. I'm not sure how good the sequels will be though. I've not read the books but.. yeah, I'll see them and hope they're good too. :)

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    So the Cabin in the Woods is a twisty sort of horror is it? nnngggg where are the spoilers I must know! Let me guess, Ash from The Evil Dead turns up at the end and saves everyone! No? One of them escapes the cabin and nearly gets hit by a truck, discovers they're not really living in the middle ages? huh? Okay okay... they are all actually ghosts and don't realise it, reliving the same horror over and over!! The Cabin isn't really in the woods, it's on a huge spaceship drifting majestically though space...

The Avengers are out on release here in the UK, I'll see it some time next week, can't wait. The critics are raving about it. The film was retitled Avengers Assemble here so as not to mistake it for the classic tv series The Avengers starring Patrick Macnee!

[​IMG]

20. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    We're a week out on Avengers so I'm off to see Chimpanzee sometime this weekend.

Cabin In The Woods really is worth your time and money I think. A bit of a slow start but it all pays off.

Might spin Hugo tonight. finally got the blu cheapish. Sadly missed it in the theaters.