Testy Area 51

ChristopherDAC

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
AE5VI
I don't pay much attention to reviewers, since they tend to be horribly jaded, & very rarely do they show familiarity with the source material, which in cases such as this is rather important.
The person at Disney who decided to call the move John Carter, because boys wouldn't go to a movie with "Princess" in the title, nor girls to one with "Mars", should be handed over to the green lizard men.
I rarely actually go to movies, but I am strongly considering this one. On the other hand, it does look rather like it has the same annoying cinematography as so many recent films, with the desaturated colour palette & so on.

Elizabeth S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw John Carter today. Really didn't know much about it going in except for what's in the trailer. I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but I'm biased -- watching Taylor Kitsch for 2 hours is easy (and James Purefoy in a small role as well). The effects and creatures were fine -- nothing groundbreaking, and at times, certain simple shots actually looked old-fashioned. Found myself wondering if there will be a sequel, which is a good thing.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
I saw John Carter as well and loved it. Stayed mostly true to the books I remember, dead solid action and SPX. Sadly it was decided that this one was a bomb prior to release so I doubt we'll see a second. 4/5

Steve Christou

Long Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Christou
I might go and see John Carter tomorrow if all goes well, glad you two liked it. It's not doing well in the US but worldwide its already grossed over $100m. Some critics enjoyed it others hated it.

And than it's... Wrath of the Titans! woohoo... anyone? * crickets creaking *

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
Ahh Wrath Of The Titans, the movie no one asked for.Hollywood is invested, WE WILL LOVE IT DAMN IT!

The trailer looks better then the first one. That said the first one was boooooorrrrrring. I'll wait.

Elizabeth S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm looking forward to 2 Guy Pearce movies in the next month -- Seeking Justice with Nicolas Cage and especially Lockout in April.

Elizabeth S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Oh, well, so much for a sequel to John Carter. Sorry, Taylor -- hope "Battleship" does better for you.
I watched Martha Marcy Mae Marlene last night. I was really impressed with Elizabeth Olsen--she was quite mesmerizing. The story was interesting and well told, though I'm not quite satisfied with the ending. And I wrongly spent the entire movie thinking Embeth Davitz was the sister instead of Sarah Paulson!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
I just MMMM in the mail from BBO. I saw reviews that were very high on it so I look forward to a watching it.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
We finally got around to The Descendants at my house the other night.

Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Clooney was quite good in it. And I was surprised to see Robert Forster in it. And I also thought the older daughter was really, really good.

I still think Moneyball was the best of 2011 that I have seen so far (or HP & the Deathly Hallows Part 2). Or maybe Ghost Protocol.

Elizabeth S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw The Hunger Games today. I haven't read the book, but the premise certainly did sound like "Battle Royale". It was unavoidable seeing the similarities while watching the film, and we all know which novel came first. Jennifer Lawrence makes a strong protagonist and the story moves at a good pace.
I'll likely have to watch some of these on disc eventually, as "A Separation", "Salmon Fishing on the Yemen" and "Jeff who Lives at Home" are all playing now.

RickER

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
Elizabeth S said:
Saw The Hunger Games today. I haven't read the book, but the premise certainly did sound like "Battle Royale". It was unavoidable seeing the similarities while watching the film, and we all know which novel came first. Jennifer Lawrence makes a strong protagonist and the story moves at a good pace.
I'll likely have to watch some of these on disc eventually, as "A Separation", "Salmon Fishing on the Yemen" and "Jeff who Lives at Home" are all playing now.
When i saw the trailer for The Hunger Games, it reminded me of The Running Man. But tweens and teens wont know its not a new idea.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Hunger Games has had a phenomenal opening, $155m in just 3 days, the people who made the very expensive and already fading from theaters John Carter were dreaming of having that kind of opening. It was not meant to be. John Carter won't even make it to $100m in it's entire run in the US, thought it has already passed the $100m milestone outside the US.

I saw John Carter last week, in 3D, I liked it. Not as good as Avatar but its good old fashioned SF for the whole family. I think it needed another big action setpiece at the half way mark, the director seemed to be saving everything for the big finish. Lynn Collins as the spunky Princess of Mars was the standout performance for me, I hope we see more of her in the future. She has appeared in a previous film with hero Taylor Kitsch, Wolverine. I'll buy JC on blu-ray, day of release. Not sure about The Hunger Games it looks a lot like Battle Royale.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
HUNNNNNNNNNNGRAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMESSSSSSSSSS!!! I've not seen it yet. Waiting on some friends to let me know how it is. Next up for me is The Raid. Some massive action movie thing. It opened in the USA, but debuts this week in Canukland. I got a sneak peek pass for Wednesday. Should be good.

I agree Steve, Johnny Carter Of The Mars With a Princess gets a bit boggy in the middle, but not enough to ruin the film. I look forward to buying it on Blu. Watched the Blu's of Drive and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (James Bond Version) over the weekend. both looked great, and I enjoyed both much more the second time around.

Also caught up with the first season of Game Of Thrones. Pretty good stuff. I'm not pissing my pants over it like some are, but it's good, I'll watch season 2. Next up is binge watching Mad Men to see what the fuss is all about.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yeah they've all gone potty over Game of Thrones, it wasn't that good but it keeps you watching. I hated seeing a couple of my fave characters snuff it before the finish. Lessens my interest in the second season but I will watch it.

Russ, The Raid looks action-packed and very violent, I saw the red band trailer. A must for my collection.

Sherlock has been getting rave reviews over here, Sherlock Holmes updated to the 21st century, you see him using the internet and GPS tracking to solve crimes. Benedict Cumberbatch (what a name!) plays Holmes and Martin "Bilbo Baggins" Freeman plays Watson. I bought the first season (3 episodes) on blu-ray £10.

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Yeah they've all gone potty over Game of Thrones, it wasn't that good but it keeps you watching. I hated seeing a couple of my fave characters snuff it before the finish. Lessens my interest in the second season but I will watch it.
"It wasn't that good." ???? Bollocks to that. :)
Watched the David Fincher version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo this weekend. Fincher continues to impress with a meticulously crafted film. The film was quite strong (evoking certain aspects of the The Game with its examination of the distant past and how it affects the contemporary.) I enjoyed just about every aspect of the film with special emphasis on the visual design, acting, and soundtrack.
- Walter.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
Walter Kittel said:
"It wasn't that good." ???? Bollocks to that.
Ha ha, I'm siding with Steve on this one. It was very good, but mostly due to the last couple episodes. the "slow burn" didn't work as well as it did in other shows. like, ahem, The Wire... :P

Fincher is one of my favourite directors. He's yet to make a film I haven't liked. There's only a handful of film makers that I can attribute that too.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I finally got around, this weekend, to watching The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the Swedish version).

I've had all three films in that series sitting here and I'll be darned if I was gonna see the US version of Girl/Dragon Tattoo before seeing the original version.

I was amazed at how good it was. The funny thing is...I kept comparing it to Seven or Zodiac--another graphic, whodunnit tale. If I was going to pick a director of a US remake, Fincher would have seemed to be the logical choice. But I'm not really sure why they felt the need to make it again so soon.

Can't wait to get to the other two films in the series...although I guess (as is usually the case) they trail off from the first film.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/81187/testy-area-51/28200#post_3910699

Can't wait to get to the other two films in the series...although I guess (as is usually the case) they trail off from the first film.
Yeah, the second Swedish one bored me silly to the point that I never did watch the third one. I'm hoping Fincher gets a shot at those two as well. I liked the first one though. Out of the two I like the Fincher one more. Lizbeth struck me as annoying in the Swedish one. She's not overly likable in the American one, but she's also not annoying. Plus you don't have to read the Fincher version....

Elizabeth S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I prefer Noomi Rapace as Lizbeth, but that's likely because I saw that one first. Same for the whole film. I eventually want to see the extended versions of the Swedish one (actually the TV version).
4/13/12:

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebccalim