Testy Area 51

ChristopherDAC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Ah, Coumadin. My aunt was a little startled to realize that Grandpa was taking by prescription the stuff she had used as rat poison when she was in Africa with the Peace Corps. I know a guy who lost two thirds of his lung capacity to pulmonary embolisms before anyone noticed what was going on. Fortunately he works a job where he has access to hundreds of gallons of liquid oxygen at any time!

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wow Mike, sorry to hear you've been having it so rough! Glad to hear your on the mend, you need to watch Milland in his greatest roll, X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes. That'll fix you up!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Whats all this than? How are my droogy woogys? Mike, sorry to hear of your medical condition. I've had an irregular heartbeat for about 20 years, have to take tablets every day. I might drop dead any mo....

Oh okay what have I watched recently? We Need to Talk about Kevin, which is about an evil kid, not a film I'll be buying on blu-ray. The Three Musketeers was okay, not great, it was fun seeing Milla leaping about in a dress this time and in slow motion. Tower Heist was a damp squib, starring Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy but not much happens and it wasn't really funny either.

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Watched Little Big Soldier with Jackie Chan this past weekend. While I liked the overall message of the story and the odd couple pairing of the film's stars, the resolution of the film's story line did not (for me) achieve the emotional resonance being sought by the filmmakers. I'd give the film a slightly generous B rating.
Mike - Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I hope things are looking up for you. (I'm pretty much on lifetime medicine as well, for something completely different. Kind of sucks - but better than the alternative.)
- Walter.

Mike Frezon

Thanks, everybody.

Walter Kittel said:
(I'm pretty much on lifetime medicine as well, for something completely different. Kind of sucks - but better than the alternative.)
This.

While many people might be bummed by the concept of having to take medicine every day for the rest of their lives...I'm actually quite glad to have a "rest of my life" to take the medicine.

Jane Wyman in her prime.

Elizabeth S

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Speedy recovery, Mike. Glad you are OK!!
I keep buying my Blus but don't have time to watch them! I can't resist joining some of the "group buys" on the blu-ray forum. I was thrilled to find out there is a Blu of "Gettin' Square" in Germany, as I'd been waiting for an affordable DVD, then it went OOP, and subsequent rerelease I didn't know about. Saw it at the Hawaii International Film Fest about 8 years ago. Really want to see David Wenham's hilarious performance again.
My regular TV schedule keeps me pretty busy. This weekend, I plan to see "This Means War".

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
In case any of you where itching to see Acts Of Valor... don't. It is painfully terrible. Yes, it features actual Navy Seals. Yes, they are heroes who do a hard job. They are also terrible actors. The film is full of annoying cliches (both spoken as in "a bundle of sticks is stronger then a single twig, Braaahhh!) and plot wise (a soldier is going to be a dad, but he has to go out with his bros on this mission, it's his duty brah!) that will drive you crazy. The action bits when they are actually doing missions are okay and typically well done but very heavy on first person POV and again, every cliche in the book. Like the shell shocked slow motion bit that Saving Private Ryan made so popular is used twice within five minutes of each other. The best I can say about this movie is that it's like watching someone play Call Of Duty, only with a crappier story, worse acting and terrible cut scenes you can't skip. I give it one out of five. It's the first film I've been too that I can remember where it couldn't end fast enough.

And remember, I typically LIKE shit movies.

My friend Dave came to the screening, he hates dramas and loves action and LOVES Call Of Duty games, he thought it sucked too.

Save your money, steal or Netflix it.

Especially since the Navy Seal actors didn't get paid to appear, it's official propaganda made to get people to join the military after the Seals killed Bin Laden last year. Or so I've heard. I could be wrong.

Or maybe I'm too Canadian to appreciate the glory before me...

RickER

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, hell.
I thought Act of Valor looked like it would be cool.
I already put it on the NetFlix Q. I hardly ever GO to a movie.
Got Contagion here to watch tonight.

Elizabeth S

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Hmmm, easy choice.
Saw This Means War today. First, this film looked REALLY grainy, especially in the opening scenes. I'm usually not struck by it, so it's unusual. Didn't think the action sequences were very well edited, but this is essentially a romcom with a bare wire hanger of a "case" to include some action. It's certainly trying to provide enough "excuse" to bring the males in. I rather enjoyed it for the performances, but thought the way it turns out is cliched and chickenshit.
Enjoyed seeing the trailer for Lockout. I was amused by Guy Pearce's "action hero" voice and his beefier look. I'm going to enjoy this one. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter looked rather interesting as well, and I'm hopeful with Timur Bekmambetov directing.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Woah wait, is it the Oscars this weekend? Does anyone care? I'll be watching, but I'm yet to bring myself to watch any of the noms yet. I just don't care about them. Ridiculous.

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Woah wait, is it the Oscars this weekend? Does anyone care?
*Meh* It has been a slow year for me film-wise. I do realize that every year has some quality films and I'm not saying that 2011 was the exception. I just have not been as engaged this year when compared to prior years. I haven't seen a lot of the nominees so my interest is very low.
- Walter.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I agree completely Walter. I've seen the noms I'm interested in I think. I can't even remember what was nominated. The pickings were just so safe and boring. Movies have gotten boring I think.Too much money is involved now, everything has to make a billion dollars, and no one's taking chances. 3D and some new fangled frame rate experiment has sapped me off all interest in The Hobbit. Avengers looks corny. Dark Knight Rises should be good... based on the previous two. I think 2010 will be the last year of surprises where we got films like Inception and Scott Pilgrim that came out of nowhere to surprise us. Everything on the upcoming slate seems to be more of the same. Sequels, remakes, prequels, blech.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Oscars are nearly here... [bites fist] I still haven't seen The Artist but I did see Hugo and enjoyed it, there's not much to it but it's a sweet heartwarming story and the photography is great. It's unusual to see a Scorsese film without profanity or violence but I hope it wins a few awards. I've got My Week with Marilyn to watch next, hope its good.

Bought a bunch of blu-rays for a fiver each - Blazing Saddles, Towering Inferno, Demolition Man and Mars Attacks! ack ack ack!!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm here! I'm home again! [sobs] I've been busy writing about movies, well it keeps me off the streets.

I saw The Artist, not bad I liked it. But I still don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a very simple story and its not a silent movie, the characters talk at the end of the film. The dog was cute.

I also saw Tintin, not the best animated film ever made but it has some spectacular chases. The dog was cute.

Bought The Three Musketeers (2011) on Blu-ray, it had a nice 3D cover and um Milla is in it, no zombies though.

Naughty, naughty, naughty! You filthy old soomka! My latest hub - http://stevelensman.hubpages.com/hub/A-Clockwork-Orange-1971-Illustrated-Reference