1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Another fan of Blow Out here, I would recommend Body Double too if you haven't seen it Mike and Dressed to Kill, a trio of perverse thrillers by De Palma when he used to be one of the most interesting directors out there, where is he now?

Funny you should mention Singin in the Rain Russ, my latest hub on my favourite musical -

[​IMG]

Singin-in-the-Rain-1952-Illustrated-Reference

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Blow Out made me want to get more De Palma. his last film I think was Redacted which was really good. Or Femme Fetale which was terrible! I barely remember Body Double, and I never saw Dressed To Kill. Scarface was awesome and hilarious, and Sisters is spoooooky

Singing In the rain, I'll take a bluray please :)

I was going to try to sneak in Hugo this week, but it's out of the theaters. The Decendents is playing, but at the stupid art house theater. I guess it's The Grey then? an early contender for next year?

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    My high-definition LaserDisc player came today.

It's very cool, despite the general lack of releases to the format.

5. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Lets see some pics Christopher.
    I remember reading about these 5-10 years or so. But i didn't know it became a reality.

6. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw A Dangerous Method today. Really liked Fassbender and Mortensen's performances. I normally like Keira Knightley but I didn't care for her in this. I thought the narrative sometimes jumped and it was difficult to gauge the passage of time. It felt like Keira's character got control of her issues almost overnight. Somewhere around the midway mark, I got extremely sleepy (not the movie's fault) and I think I lost track of some things. I don't even know what was said/transpired before the last shot of the film. I hate struggling to stay awake at the movies or watching TV, but I'm just not getting enough sleep.

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Yeah, they came out in the 1990s in Japan, but they weren't popular because of the high price.
    I'll post some pictures in the next couple of days, but I want to wait for daylight, & I think I'll have to open up the player - something isn't quite right in the mechanism, or it wouldn't be making those noises.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Just read the best/worst of 2011 results poll. Yeah, I don;t think I have anything in common with the HTF anymore. Might be time to move on.

Watched 13 Assassins this weekend, fantastic Samurai picture from Takashi Miike. I highly recommend it to fans. Wings is a s good and impressive as everyone says.

[​IMG]

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
  10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    The dog in The Artist is going to win anyways. :P

I'm fine with Ben-Hur winning the best of, but Star Wars is the worst catalog release and boxset of the year? Are they fucking crazy? The movies have never looked or sounded better, it's packed with extras, most of it new (as opposed to the lord of the rings where nearly all of it was recycled) as well as previously unreleased features fans had asked for and also including a shit ton of deleted scenes. But because of what it doesn't have, the original cuts that EVERYONE ON THE FUCKING PLANET KNEW WERE NOT GOING TO BE A PART OF THIS RELEASE aren't on it, the irrational fanboys vote it the worst? No wonder Lucas is fucking off from film making... ungrateful bastards. I hope that when the 3D Star Wars come out on Blu he doesn;t ahve the original cuts on them either. If you think about it, it would be a much better release for the original cuts. STar Wars through the years with the original cut, the SE, the Ultimate and the 3D versions all in a mega set. Fuck the fans, they no longer deserve it.

And yeah, Raintree County over a a hi-def The Abyss which I don;t think ever got a anamorphic DVD release? And I'm the one being called a snoot... :P

Admittedly, I've never seen Raintree County and I'm sure it deserves a release as much as any other film, but really. The forums head is so far up it's ass this past year it's ridiculous.

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    I loved the Star Wars blu-ray box set, are they nuts?!! I still haven't watched all the extras!

Yeah a remastered copy of The Abyss would make my year, Cameron is rereleasing Titanic so it might happen this year.

I've got 13 Assassins but haven't watched it yet, the final fights are supposed to be awesome. Have to watch it this week.

Bought Disney's Lady and the Tramp on blu-ray from HMV earlier, £20. Haven't checked it out yet.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'll be curious with what you think of 13 Assassins. I love Samurai pictures so I'm biased. It's Miike, so it's a bit f'd up in the beginning, the middle is all set up, and when it all comes to a head it's kind of spooky. Beautifully filmed. I grabbed the blu on a trade in deal for $10 and watched it the same day ha ha.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    OK, here is the player with its crazy flip-top remote. The text "HDVS" stands for "High-Definition Video System", the designator that Sony used for all its high-definition video equipment, consumer & professional, for years. If you see, there are two LD logos, the normal square one & a round one for MUSE-system consumer HD LDs. Also, at the bottom of the disc tray door, you may be able to make out, barely, the words "Hi-Vision LD/LD Player", hi-vision being the common Japanese contraction for "high-definition television". (You'll have to click on the image for full size.)

[​IMG]

14. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Thanks for sharing Chris, that is a sweet machine! How many HD discs did they make?
    I still have my Pioneer 704 LD machine. It was top of the line 20 years ago. It still plays, but it sure grinds a lot when i open the tray!
    I wish i could find a Blu-ray machine as well built as your (or mine) LD player!

15. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    I have the 704, & the Mitsubishi clone with the blue front display (which I like better) as my main players. This one I got mostly for the MUSE High Definition discs. Unfortunately there were never many made - the LDDb counts 113, although it's not a complete list, & few of them interest me much. I am trying to reverse-engineer the video encoding system, which is a real dilly.

16. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw The Artist yesterday (with an audience of non-football fans, I assume). I thoroughly enjoyed it! Charming film with 2 wonderful lead performances. I'm rooting for DuJardin for the Best Actor win.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Steve hasn't been around in about a week.

Must be outside shoveling...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Has it been a week? eeek! Mike there's snow snow everywhere, I hate snow! I like looking at it in photos and film but not walking or driving in it.

We've had a blast of arctic weather recently, if it had happened at xmas it would be more fitting but february?

Just watched A Dangerous Method, didn't like it, not much happens unless you enjoy listening to chats between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud, played by Michael Fassbender and Viggo Mortensen. Keria Knightley gets her bottom smacked a couple of times, but the girl is so flatchested there's nothing there.

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Steve is off in hubble land. He posted a nice one for Blade Runner.

Not too much for me to report in on. Here's a mini round up.

The Woman In Black - Nice old school gothic horror in the Hammer tradition. I really enjoyed it and thought the Harry Potter kid did a nice job not being Harry Potter. 3.5/5

The Fighter - Rewatched the oscar nom from last year since the blu was on sale for $10 and liked it more. It's still a cliched story despite being a true one, but everyone is pretty good (other then Conan O'Brien's sister that looks exactly like him but in drag which is really disturbing and distracting. 3/5

The Haunted Boy - A "documentary" on the true story of the Exorcist. Except it was actually a shitty excuse to dress like cowboys and hunt ghosts. I hate this type of thing and I hated this. 1/5

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - The books have to be better then the movies since this one was as terrible as the others. The production is shockingly piss poor and none of the actors can carry the film. 2/5

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - I liked this one though it's been known to bore people to sleep. It's talky and British, but very good. 3.5/5

also watched the British series "Black Mirror". Highly recommended if you can track it down. Fantastic Sci-Fi exploring social media. A word of warning though, the first episode is very bleak.4.5/5

[​IMG]

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

As of this moment (before I push "Submit"):

[​IMG]