What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hello? Anyone home? I hope you all had a great Christmas. We had the usual people round, watched familiar films, it was a pleasant xmas. Weather wise it's been the warmest xmas in decades. No snow in London so far this winter, if you can call it winter.

I haven't bought any Blu-rays in a while, I should check out the HMV sales.

The last new films I saw were Contagion and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, a remake of a 70's horror about evil little creatures haunting a big old house.

Here's a nice poster of a classic film, Captain Blood looks a superhero with his huge red cape and I love his boots, doesn't look much like Flynn though.

The artist was Alex Raymond, the creator of Flash Gordon.

c1cc042a_CaptainBlood.jpeg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol on Christmas Day. Thought it was enjoyable. Never mind Tom Cruise -- Josh Holloway looked gorgeous in his small role. :) He really needs to do another TV show or something.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched the new MI film on Tuesday evening and commented upon it in the Movies thread. I enjoyed seeing 'Sawyer' in his cameo; but for different reasons than Elizabeth. :)
An enjoyable piece of action cinema with some well choreographed sequences. This was my first IMAX viewing and the detail in some of the exterior shots of Budapest and Dubai was very striking. Worth seeing on a big screen if you get the chance.
Nice poster Steve. The boots look very 'Flash' given the artist's background.
- Walter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Happy late Christmas, early New Years everybody! Those boots look like they would fill up with water!

Not gone to any movies yet. I might step out to see Dragon Tattoo Girl today or tomorrow, but the the freezing rain we got this morning is putting a damper on my enthusiasm to leave the house. Been watching some of the "30 by 30" documentaries that ESPN did. I'm not a sports guy, but they are pretty great. Also watched Blue and White of the Three Colours Trilogy, and the first two parts of Carlos. I've been a fancy pants movie watcher over the holidays. :P

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Happy New Year, everyone!!
My first movie of the year was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's a pretty good remake and I love the cover version of "The Immigrant Song" which plays over the opening credits (the visuals of it I did not like at all). Rooney Mara was better than I expected as Lisbeth. I found the Swedish version pretty brutal, and found this one less so, but perhaps that was because I knew what to expect. Good start to the movie year.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Happy New Year Droogs!!![/COLOR] 2012! Testy's 10th year. [bites fist] How did we last this long? It's a bloomin' miracle. It's all thanks to you guys and gals, past and present, posting here and keeping it alive, and the guys behind the scenes Mike Frezon, the HTF owners and our retired, much-missed droog of droogs - Parker Clack, without him Testy wouldn't have lasted a week back in 2002. I thank you all.

2548a2a1_BigBenfireworks.jpeg

Looks like a scene from V for Vendetta. Fireworks firing out of Big Ben at midnight on New Years Eve.

Elizabeth, I want to see the new Dragon Tattoo, but as usual it'll have to be on disc. I haven't even seen MI4 or Sherlock Holmes 2 yet.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Happy late new years everyone. I say Dragon Tattoo Girl too. I liked it, didn't love it. Liked it more then the original though. Hmmmm.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll see that, though there's not really any movies coming out I can think of that are giving me the cream jeans. I kind of know what to expect with all the prequel/sequels.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Prometheus is one of my must see movies of 2012, Ridley Scott back doing sci-fi after 30 years!! I did get a bit angry when Ridley and co were asked last year if the film has any connection to Alien at all and they kept saying no and than we see the trailer and it' s Alien the prequel. And what's the point of setting it in the Alien universe if we don't see the lethal blighters at all?

Awards fever is building up but unlike previous years I'm well behind on the award worthy flicks.

This is the long list of movies considered for the British Academy Awards and I've only seen two! Both starring Ryan Gosling for chrissakes!

Best Film
The Artist
The Descendants
Drive
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Help
Hugo
The Ides of March
The Iron Lady
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
My Week with Marilyn
Senna
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
War Horse
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Film Not in the English Language
Abel
As If I Am Not There
The Boy Mir – Ten Years in Afghanistan
Calvet
Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries)
Incendies
Little White Lies
Pina
Post Mortem
Potiche
Le Quattro Volte
A Separation
The Skin I Live In
Tomboy
The Troll Hunter
Outstanding British Film
Arthur Christmas
Attack the Block
Coriolanus
The Guard
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
The Iron Lady
Jane Eyre
My Week with Marilyn
Senna
Shame
Submarine
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Tyrannosaur
War Horse
We Need to Talk About Kevin

What no Thor? Green Lantern? X-Men First Class? Captain USA? the goatee stroking bastages!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've seen 5 off those lists, Drive, the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Senna, Troll Hunter and Attack The Block. surprised those last two are on there, but pleasantly so. The Artist is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Every one is going on about how it's amazing and in black and white and a silent movie. I've watched at least 10 silent films this year, is it any better then those? Is it really that big a deal, or is it just a case that after years of Garfields and Marmadukes.that people are really that shocked and amazed to be entertained by something that doesn't pander to their need for fart jokes? Or maybe The Artist is pandering and does do this, I've not seen it. And there's nothing wrong with fart jokes, Chaplin had one in Modern Times, a mostly silent film from the 30's.

It's kind of like Mumble Mouth King from last year. Everyone was tripping over themselves about it, and it wasn't a terrible movie. It was however made only to win Oscars. You could see it in the parts written for oscar acting, and in the obvious direction where things are askew then start to look better and get more centered as the King gets speaking good. Ugh. Oscars man... I kind of hate them but look forward to watching them every year.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I am really curious about The Artist, our critics here have gone gaga over it. Is it that good? I'll probably be disappointed when I finally see it.

Oh jeez it's Celebrity Big Brother UK and movie tough guy Michael Madsen's in the house! [bites fist] Mixing with UK soap stars and x-factor winners, why Michael why? [sobs]

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I've seen 7 from the Best Film list of the British Academy Awards, including my viewing today of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It wins my award for Best Sleep Aid (ask the guy snoring a few rows in front). I really liked the trailer and expected a good taut, suspenseful spy film. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but I felt a bit lost and not "suspensed" for the most part. And this is one talky film. One of the early sequences in the film might be one of the most tense scenes I've seen this year, but it never matches that again. And frankly, I knew who the traitor was in the first 10 minutes, simply by looking at the cast.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wow 3 days of inactivity, Testy fading fast? I've been busy hubbing, three in a row this week. I'm making nearly 50 cents a day from hub page hits, hey that's a lot of money in some third world countries!! :)

Have the Award shows started? The Oscars next month. What's the favourite so far? Warhorse? Thor?

deaefd44_MarlonBrandoandCat2x.jpeg

b8eaa1fc_PenelopeCruzandCat2x.jpeg

f543fd83_ViggoMortensenandCat2.jpeg

43b6ba48_LivTylerandCat.jpeg

From my latest hub- Cats-and-Celebs-A-Gallery

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thats more like it Mike, very nice and brightens up the place. Is it a coincidence there's a dog in each picture?

Just now on quiz show The Chase -

Question: Who was the original Captain Kirk on Star Trek?

Young Lady: ...Patrick Stewart?

Bought three Blu-rays off the cheap racks - Space Cowboys, 12 Monkeys and Edge of Darkness- £20 for all three.

Bought 2 movie books - Cecil B. De Mille and the Golden Calf - The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe - £5 each.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /t/81187/testy-area-51/28050#post_3887338
Thats more like it Mike, very nice and brightens up the place. Is it a coincidence there's a dog in each picture?

It's all about the equal time, Steve.

The pooches look pretty happy, though, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.