What's new

Testy Area 51 (5 Viewers)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Walter, I have to agree but for a different reason. Phantom Menace is the worst of the movies, no doubt, but I don;t hate it as much as others. The Pod race is cool, and that fight at the end... the Jar Jars fight things at the end right? I get them mixed up. Anyways, thinking about it, a bunch of the big wow moments in the original trilogy get ruined by the prequels. It's pretty obviouse that Lucas had no intentions of ever actually doing the prequels when you watch them all back to back. I think I'll go original tril, then prequel.
That is why The Phantom Menace is a roller coaster for me. It varies (for me) from poor to great from scene to scene. You have a great action set piece (like the Pod Race or the two Jedi Knights vs Darth Maul) butted up against less inspiring material (usually featuring Jar Jar Binks or juvenile humor or both) and the film is a constant up and down experience - for me.
Regarding the Original Trilogy 'wow' moments I agree. For first time viewers I always recommend 4,5,6 - 1,2,3 because back in the day, those character reveals were huge moments in the films - things such as the reveals of Yoda, Vader's relationship with Luke, and Jabba's first appearance in Jedi. I watched the original trilogy theatrically as a young adult - and those revelations were huge moments in those films.
Anyway, about an hour away from Star Wars: A New Hope. Later droogs.
- Walter.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Last night i watched the deleted scenes, and spoofs. Most of the stuff that was cut, especially in episode 4, was rightly cut. Was cool to see.
The spoofs, cute, but i will never feel the need to watch it again. The VW commercial is still cute, however.
I like to watch these movies in release order 4, 5 and 6, then 2 and 3. I try to block 1 from my memory. Jar Jar must die!
Steve, what is the movie pic with the people on the window ledge? Cant tell.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Rick, that shot was from the end of The Phantom Menace, that's Queen Amadaleus and co climbing the side of a building.

I watched The Clones Attack last night, excellent picture and sound. Only Sith left to go. [sniff] This blu-ray set has been incredible, reference quality. Well worth the dosh I forked out. Jurassic Park next.

f2053bee_StarWarsIIIRevengeoftheSith-00100248.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
After all my excitement, I didn't get a chance to watch any of the movies! Sad! I did stick in A New Hope to have a peek at the quality and holy moly, does it look good! I'm dying to watch them, probably wont get a chance until Sunday night. :(

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched Star Wars: A New Hope yesterday evening. I know that some folks are criticizing the transfer for black crush and inaccurate gamma levels but to be perfectly honest those are characteristics that I tend to have a difficult time spotting. Overall, I was very pleased with the transfer in terms of detail. I have to say it was pretty neat seeing Star Wars in high definition in the Home Theater. And while easily the best it has ever looked on Home Theater is not a panacea for what flaws still exist, the fact is that is easily the best it has ever looked in a Home Theater presentation. :)
I still do not like the alterations but at least the Han / Greedo scene is not nearly as awful as the original SE alteration. Kenobi's light saber has been fixed for the most part although you can still see the rod in the final fleeting moment before they cut away from the first scene with Kenobi and Vader. The "close the blast doors" line is back, I am happy to report. The Force fanfare has been (mostly) restored during the initial X-wing dive attack on the Death Star. The FX are still fairly loud in that sequence. Over the years, I've learned to deal with the changes although I still hope we will get to eventually see the theatrical cut on Bd.
Despite all of the technology on display in the film, the thing that struck me the most was the chemistry and camaraderie of the cast (especially between Luke, Leia, and Han). I haven't watched any of the Star Wars films for a number of years; frankly I was burned out on them as a whole; but seeing this again (kind of) re-kindled the spark.
- Walter,

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Getting any rain up there, Rick? We had a little last night, & half a dozen power outages to go with it. I hate power outages! In a way the little one-second ones are the worst, because they play hob with your electronics. Thank you deregulation.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
ChristopherDAC said:
Getting any rain up there, Rick? We had a little last night, & half a dozen power outages to go with it. I hate power outages! In a way the little one-second ones are the worst, because they play hob with your electronics. Thank you deregulation.
As a matter of fact. It was a great rain! Lightning, thunder, the whole bit. And of course the lights flickered for a minute. Right in the middle of me watching THOR, on Blu-ray.
So of course i had to spend 5 minutes starting the disc over again.
Sure, i watch movies when it storms. Livin' on the edge, and it really worked for THOR.
THOR was only OK. I liked the cast, but was not wild about the script. To think the Babylon 5 guy did the script/story!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I loved Thor. I enjoyed all of this years superhero movies, even Green Lantern. :)

Currently watching one of my favoruite westerns on Blu-ray - Once Upon a Time in the West.

A snapshot from a sci-fi favourite - Star Trek The Motionless Picture - watched well over 100 times these past 30 years.

a397ee34_StarTrektheMotionPicture05309.jpeg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I saw Drive today. Do not let the pink scripted title fool you -- this is directed by Nicolas Winding Refn(who made the Danish "Pusher") and is ultimately dark, brutal and edgy. The brilliant opening sequence sets up Ryan Gosling's "Driver"'s expertise as a wheel man and enigmatic man of few words. He seems very sweet in shyly interacting with his neighbor (Carey Mulligan) and her son, so it's all the more jarring when circumstances force him to react with violence. He is downright scary in certain scenes.This film may not do big box office, but I predict it will develop a cult following when it hits DVD/Blu-Ray. It's an artsy drama with dollops of violence.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I didn't like Drive as much as you did Liz, but liked it enough I'd check it out again. I found it more hilarious then you did. Instead of a deep character Gosling struck me as a simpleton.

f11bb13a_tumblr_lrrud7agzb1qf1yxjo1_500.jpeg

(not real)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Some people at imdb think he has some form of autism. I called him enigmatic earlier because you're not quite sure what he's thinking or what motivates him to behave that way. But I didn't mind that as opposed to that irritating habit films have of spelling everything out for you. He seemed very good at the driving/mechanic aspects and had good instincts (or experience) in the wheelman tactics. Once things were set in motion, he seemed to almost welcome confrontation to vent some pent-up rage.
Surely, he could have prevented Irene from getting in the elevator with that guy. But I think he felt it was easier pickings to get him in the enclosed space should he prove to be after them. That scene is amazing -- the almost dreamlike romantic moment followed by such brutality. The film overall was more graphic than it needed to be. And I loved the final sequence where you're almost holding your breath to know one way or the other.
I liked that Refn let silence set the mood in many of the scenes -- some of the drawnout pauses were effective in establishing an awkward/uncomfortable feeling.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
WoooHooo. Friday, I get to pick up Amber, my second 18" Gentle Giant statue. Bought her off ebay for about $50 less than what Gentle Giant sold them for. Good news, the guy lives in Irvine so he's just a few miles away, local pick up, no shipping.

Baby and Amber were the two most difficult to get as I missed pre-ordering them from Gentle Giant. But, Sweet Pea and Rocket I do have on pre-order. Last is Blondie, sadly she has not even been announced yet.

3782fd1d_4825836928_227d29c43e_b.jpeg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Nice work Ron. Not as pretty but I'm proud of my Universal horror DVD busts.

5c6c1eb1_universalhorrorbusts.jpeg

Elizabeth, I looked under the spoiler!

Last new film I saw was Pirates of the Caribbean IV Attack of the Mermaids, a swashbuckler without any swashbuckling. It looked cheap too, the worst in the series but that didn't stop it from grossing over a billion dollars worldwide this year.

Thor on Blu, monday!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
By Odins beard! I'm holding out on X-Men/Thor until they hit the cheap racks. It's getting hard to get cheap movies now. HMV seem to have dumped a lot of the 2/$30 stuff, and Blockbuster went tits up so no more films there. Though I did buy about 10 movies on the going out of business sale so I'm not exactly hurting. :P

I got in Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back from the big set! Remember when that came out and I was all excited and the internet exploded and fans through themselves on their light sabers over the alterations but now no one talks about them? Well it ends up they're pretty awesome! I have no problems with George's changes so far, I think they look, sound and play great. Obi Wans weird dragon scream in Star Wars was the biggest surprise, but not one I'd get rid of. So yeah, LOVING THEM!

I nearly saw Killer Elite last night but I forgot to ask for a pass the night before. I'll probably wait for a home viewing now. It's for the best. that film is so fueled with testosterone it will have to be a pants off affair. It will be impossible to watch with out getting massive raging testosterone boners that will tear through your pants. Who's bright idea was it to put Jason "Mans Man" Statham and Clive "The Mans Man Man" Owen in the same film? I bet it was Levis jeans, or the Gap. I doubt even the ladies will be able to escape from the pant ruining testosterone of this film. They should of thrown in a Shia Lebouf or Ryan Reynolds to give it an estrogen balance.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /t/81187/testy-area-51/27780#post_3853374
Nice work Ron. Not as pretty but I'm proud of my Universal horror DVD busts.

5c6c1eb1_universalhorrorbusts.jpeg

Elizabeth, I looked under the spoiler!

Last new film I saw was Pirates of the Caribbean IV Attack of the Mermaids, a swashbuckler without any swashbuckling. It looked cheap too, the worst in the series but that didn't stop it from grossing over a billion dollars worldwide this year.

Thor on Blu, monday!
Very cool Steve! I picked up Amber yesterday, met the kid in Irvine and when I opened up the box, her head was completely severed. But, he lived just 5 minutes away and went home and grabbed another, this one is perfect.

Pirates 4, I liked it, really liked it. I'd put it at second best in the series. Better then 2 and way better then 3. As for Thor, watched the rental twice and I think that's about it. Good, solid film but not one I could keep watching over and over.

Well, tonight I take my daughter and her friends to their first ever scare-fest. We're going to Knott's Berry Farms Halloween Haunt. This will really scare the crap out of those little buggers, I cannot wait to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.