1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Rubber Rick Russ? I haven't seen that one, is he very um stretchy? :)

No Criterion releases here sadly.

The Darkest Hour looks like fun Ron, thanks for the link.

I saw Captain America last night, a good solid action film. Set during WWII even the effects had a pleasing retro look about them. The best effect was merging Chris Evans head on some wimpy kids body, very well done and seamless but you can tell that head doesn't belong to that body plus it looked a little too big.

It's nearly 45mins before we see Captain America in action, it's good that a director is willing to let the film take it's time and tell the story. Michael Bay would have compressed the first 30mins into a 3 minute montage with a rock ballad on the soundtrack. :)

Hugo Weaving is excellent as always, playing the villain Red Skull, heck Weaving was excellent as V in V for Vendetta and he was wearing a mask throughout.

Watched the film in 3D and it was pretty effective, I ducked when the Cap threw his shield. Recommended 4 out of 5.

I've enjoyed all of this years comicbook movies, looking forward to adding them to the blu-ray collection by xmas.

[​IMG]

2. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    http://www.rubberthemovie.com/
    The web site for the movie Rubber, complete with trailer. Strange stuff.
    I didnt know Hugo was in Capt America!? I hear he will be in The Hobbit too.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I like Hugo, it's tough though. He's such a Mr. Smith actor in all his role's it's nothing but a distraction. Hopefully he shedded that skin for Mr. Skull Candy in Captain America. It sure was a distraction in Lord of the Rings.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Don't forget Rick, Weaving was an integral part of the LotR trilogy--playing a really old dude:

[​IMG]

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I kept waiting for him to turn to Aragorn or Gandalf and call him Mr. Andersssssson!

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well now, that's a rare find. Of course, you known I had to go and comment.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Bwahhahaha! My grand plan worked!

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    [​IMG]

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nice. but you know where I stand on this subject, Steve...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Nice. Michelle Pfeiffer was more my catgirl Mike, or was it Nastassia Kinski? Hmmm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And people who know my affection for Halle Berry are always surprised when my choice is Newmar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    [​IMG]
    Not the best pics taken with my cell phone. I had to work with the light of the room. Anyway, seeing the pics Mike had of Julie Newmar made me think of when i met her, and Yvonne Craig! Yvonne still looked great in the late 90s.

15. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes today. I really liked it, but I'm surprised at how positive the reviews have been. One big gasp moment and a teary one.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The reviews have been incredibly positive!

So much so that I have considered moving it ahead in my queue of films-to-see. That queue is headed-up by Harry Potter Part Deux (hopefully tomorrow!) and Cowboys & Aliens.

17. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
  18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    This makes me laugh more than anything else. Not a good costume at all.

19. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    It's a hell of a lot better than "Cowboys & Aliens". :) I haven't seen a Harry Potter since the first one.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well. I saw my first-ever IMAX 3-D film yesterday: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.

I was hesitant to see the film in 3-D (let alone IMAX format) because I had been underwhelmed at most other 3-D films I've seen (most notably Pirates of the Caribbean 4). yet I was tempted by the IMAX format because I've never seen anything in that particular format.

So son and I (he turned 21 this summer) made our way into the IMAX theater at our local mall and had a rocking great time.

The 3-D, first of all, was not the "jump off the screen" nonsense that would have taken us out of the compelling story that was being told on-screen...but the kind of 3-D that adds amazing depth to the image. And this was an image that was absolutely stunning. And not just the action sequences. We were both talking afterwards about this one particular shot at the very beginning of the film showing Alan Rickman's character standing alone with beautiful lighting on his face and dark inky shadows on the castle walls around him. My son noted that his beautifully lit face near popped off the screen.

While the movie wasn't perfect it was nonetheless compelling and a beautiful wrap-up to the Potter series. It is amazing that the eight films in that series have been as good as they have been. I think a lot of that credit can be given to the initial casting and the written material...but it would also have been easy to still have tanked the films and all involved should be recognized for taking on such an enormously difficult task and pulling it off so well. There have been a lot of bad films made with great stories behind them. So much talk is given to successful trilogies. Here is a collection of eight films that do a very nice job of relating some technically difficult and incredibly detailed fantasy material into mainstream success.

But I digress. One of the coolest things about the IMAX 3-D experience last night was that the audience sat in the theater with nothiong on-screen until precisely start-up time. At the top of the hour a voice-over (a local radio personality--with some appropriate industrial generic music behind it) came up telling us about the experience we were about to have (12,000 watts of the best movie sound imaginable!). It took me back to the "old days" of theater-going. It helped create a very "formal' movie-going moment. No ads. No baloney. After the announcement, one notice about concessions and cell phones, some 2-D trailers, some 3-D trailers (including that really obnoxious one for Happy Feet 2! Ugh!) and the film. Very, very nice. Why can't they all be this way?!?

Picture and sound were both AAA+++. We were both blown away by the experience. It's been a long time since going to the movies has been THAT MUCH BETTER than my home movie experience.