What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well you shouldn't have buggered it up in the first place, how hard is it to post a link for christou's sake? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif
Robin Hood again, Sherlock Holmes again, Alice in Wonderland again, Clash of the Titans again. I see the next decade will be just like the last decade and the decade before it. Basterds! And some reviewers are saying Avatar will change movies forever, thppptt!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Remakes are exactly what old films need. New effects, new sound, new cast. BRING IT ON! I love remakes more then the old, outdated films.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Avatar, changing films forever...HAHAHAHAH! It's nothing but a CGI film, how's that going to change films forever?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Avatar has 4 Golden Globe nominations including Best Drama and Best Director, I gotta see it now! Will it be the first sci-fi film to win a Best Picture Oscar? Might be. [Ron sneers]

Up in the Air has the most noms, so that looks likely to be next years big Oscar Winner, I'll wait for the dvd or lesser format.

Russell will be happy to see Inglourious Basterds getting Best Picture and Best Director noms!

Elizabeth's fave The Hurt Locker is nominated for best film too.

Star Trek has zero noms which doesn't bode well for any major Oscar noms. Basterds!

Here's a link to the GG noms -

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=awardcentral&jump=news&articleid=VR1118012766

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Sneering.

Hey, it looks good, but not good enough to warrant a trip to the theater. Now, Robin Hood, that's a must see in the theater.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Ron-P /forum/thread/81187/testy-area-51/24090#post_3638678
Remakes are exactly what old films need. New effects, new sound, new cast. BRING IT ON! I love remakes more then the old, outdated films.
I`m all for a remake of BRING IT ON, with a cast of lesbians. Yum!!! :D
I had no idea what ÙP IN THE AIR even was until today. Best picture, I should say not!
(I haven`t actually seen it....)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm very interested in Up in the Air. It took me a long time to get on the Clooney bandwagon, but I now see that he's a very good actor as well as having that charisma. And Vera Farmiga is one of my favorite actresses. One of my favorite performances by her is in Never Forever, which I saw at the Hawaii International Film Festival and now own on DVD (but which nobody else seems to have seen). I think she has done enough films with "strange" children, however.
I'm rooting for Kathryn Bigelow to beat out ex-hubby James Cameron for Best Director and Picture!
I'm happy to see (500) Days of Summer got some noms! There are a lot of films with nominations which I didn't see or have not come to town yet. Nine is certainly a must-see despite a couple of people I strongly dislike in the cast. And very interested in seeing Woody Harrelson in The Messenger, and Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart. I haven't seen a darned one of those Foreign Language films.
On the TV side, happy to see the noms for Glee. Sad to see Katey Sagal got overlooked for Sons of Anarchy. It was a much more nuanced, multi-dimensional performance, than say, Kyra Sedgwick in recent The Closer.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oh yes Kathryn Bigelow was married to Cameron back in the late 80's. That must be a first, an ex married couple competing against each other in the Best Director category. Interesting. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif">
I liked The Hurt Locker, it was very well made but there were other films I enjoyed more in 2009. I wouldn't mind it winning, or QT's film, but as a sci-fi devotee I'll be rooting for the most expensive film of all time to win.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That was one long Basterd of a film, too long for it's own basterd good. Edit about 30 minutes out of that basterd and it'd be a damn good basterd of a film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Does E-Online read our thread? Check out this headline, you'd think I wrote it - /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif">

Do SAG Awards love Star Trek? Nope. Just a bunch of Basterds.
If you were hoping the Screen Actors Guild Awards would be kinder to a certain top-reviewed film than the Globe Globes were, then your hopes were dashed.
Oh, and Avatar and The Hangover got squat, too.
Award-season front-runners Inglourious Basterds, The Hurt Locker, Nine, Precious and An Education stayed out in front today with SAG cast nominations—the show's equivalent of Best Picture.
The Hangover and Avatar, which represented for popcorn pictures at the Globes, came away with zero nods, as did Star Trek, which by now at least should be used to not hearing its name called.
Nominated actors included Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side), Meryl Streep (Julie & Julia) and George Clooney (Up in the Air).
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b158454_do_sag_awards_love_star_trek_nope_just.html?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories
Here's a complete list of SAG nominations, even Hitler got a nomination this year./img/vbsmilies/htf/sleep.gif

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Good for Jeremy Renner's nom! He's probably not so sad "The Unusuals" was cancelled, though I am.

This feels like one of those years where I won't have seen a good chunk of nominees by the time the awards are given.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Elizabeth S /forum/thread/81187/testy-area-51/24090#post_3639429

This feels like one of those years where I won't have seen a good chunk of nominees by the time the awards are given.
I get the same feeling. I'll wait to see what the final list it for the oscars and try to see those first. there's so many damned movies I have no interest in though. Like Precious based on the novel Sapphire based on the life of Ruby as told to the sister of Topaz while walking with Quartz. "The Blind Side"? Never heard of it, is that the one with Ryan Reynolds or the one with the guy from The Hangover, which I haven't seen either, but at least HAVE heard about and do want to see."The Hurt Locker" is high on my list to watch, I kinda forgot about it. Same with Star Trek, I've had a copy since the horror challenge, might as well pick up the Blu now. Nine looks truly annoying in the commercials... they just can't seem to make good musicals anymore. Sigh... /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

I gave Inglorious Basterds a second spin last night and liked it just as much as the first time. there's so much to like about that movie, though I seem to be alone in that opinion as far as Testy is concerned. The blu looks and sounds amazing, and I haven't watched a second of any of the extras yet. My copy came with a IB dog tag to wear. I'm currently not wearing it, if I'm wearing any, it will be my much more limited edition "Top Dog" dog tags in celebration of the Chuck Norris film. /img/vbsmilies/htf/yum.gif

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I gave Inglorious Basterds a second spin last night and liked it just as much as the first time. there's so much to like about that movie, though I seem to be alone in that opinion as far as Testy is concerned.
You are not alone. Looking forward to revisiting one of my favorite films of '09 again this weekend on Blu-ray. I popped the Bd in the other evening and my favorite shot of the film (as previously discussed) is the opening series of shots in Chapter Five (not chapter five on the Bd, Chapter Five in the film.)

Somehow I managed to resist the Basterds wordplay up until now, but I will throw out one classic -The Maltese Basterd.

- Walter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I haven't bought Inglourious Basterds on Blu yet, I will eventually. I wasn't that enamoured of it but it was better than a lot of the crap out this year. Hurt Locker too.
Zen! Hey how are you dood? Is that your family in the avatar? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
I've only seen a couple of the nominated movies so far, seems I spent the year watching award-resistant movies, and proud of it. /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif
I am a bit curious to see Up in the Air though. But not in the cinema. /img/vbsmilies/htf/sleep.gif

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Its good to see Zen. This thread is getting a bit hoytie-toyte, with all the Golden Globe, and Oscar talk. Next thing i know Steve and Russ will be watching subtitled French movies. Calling them, "the must see event of the year!"

It could happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.