Testing out EX and ES-- need help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EricSm, Sep 29, 2004.

1. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

I threw up a pair of bookshelves, mounted on the back wall. I'm not totally satisfied with the visual flare of the whole thing and there's minimal concern about their stability.

That said, can someone recommend me some good ex/es demos that I can try with the rear backs on and off to give me a good taste of whether or not I'm on the right track? It's a pretty small room and I have my doubts about whether or not the backs are going to add much do that fact.

I did a quick thumbing through my dvds to see which were listed as potential candidates, so if you could pick a scene or two from the following that I could throw in real quick where you think the back surrounds make for a better experience I'd appreciate it:

LOTR:FOTR: EE
    LOTR: Two Towers: EE
    Toy Story 2
    Star Wars 4-6
    Finding Nemo
    Bond: Die Another Day

Thanks!

2. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if SW4-6 have got THX cavalcade trailer, but this trailer have got surround info in the center back channel.

AOTC, chap 3 landing sequence.

As for the rest, I just can't remember.

3. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

The THX at the start of New Hope is the crystal ball smashing. Not sure if that is the one you mean. Don't own ATC unfortunately :/

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Pretty much any DTS-ES movie will really show them off. Favorites would be:

BladeII
    Gladiator
    Se7en:SE

5. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

Master and Commander is what I always use to demo my 7.1 system

6. Robert*S

Robert*S Stunt Coordinator

LOTR:FOTR:EE - The cave troll. That whole scene has all kinds of surround effects that will impress.
    Particular moments: when the cave troll is roaring before it enters the tomb. You hear the sound behind you in relation to the action on the screen.
    Also when the troll swings his leash at Legolas you can hear the chain swing completely around the room.

7. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for master and commander, especially the first encounter with the ghost ship.

Also, the asteroid chase in AOTC. Finding nemo, inside the whale.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Quck question...

Is this a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 system? Given that you are asking about ES/EX, I assume its at a minimum 6.1?

OK, I have a 6.1 rig, with a single center back. My favorite scene for that is the very openning of AOTC. Sentaor Amidala's transport flys right in from center back, almost directly over head. And then does it again as they enter the planets atmosphere.

Edit: I think MingL already called this one out, although I didn't really realize it was chapter 3.

A very cool demo.

BGL

9. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the Cave troll and inside the whale a run. Don't own AOTC, unfortunately. Evidently I should.

And yes, it's 6.1(actually, it's 2 bookshelfs in the rear, does that make it 7.1 even if they are using the same signal?).

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, IIRC, THX (the initial developer and proponent of the back surround channel) called for two center back loudspeakers, although the signal in a DDEX or DTS:ES/EX soundtrack is mono. This is said to give much better dispersion characteristics.

As for true 7.1, I think Pro Logic IIx (And perhaps some other processing modes as well) can apply processing to a 5.1 or 6.1 signal (maybe even working with a 2CH source?), the result being that all four rear loudspeaker positions are getting a true discrete signal.

I am PLIIx challenged at the moment, so I run in a purely 6.1 configuration with a single back.

BGL