What's new

Testing Midway Panasonic 9000 freezing and 900 plays fine (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I ain't sure if anyone that has a Panasonic DP-UB9000 experienced any picture freezing with Midway US edition which is what mine is imported. Froze up on a few scenes with the sound playing for a second then resumes playing several seconds later. I also have the Panasonic DMP-UB900EB, where I switched the disc to and playback was fine. Only downside is lack of Dolby Vision, which is only featured on UB9000, with HDR, where 900 is only HDR.

Wondering if its a software or laser sensitivity or both. region A won't play as no player is capable of that here. Expect for regional DVD's. This is second Loinsgate that has frozen where Deep Sea Horizon, froze on my Sony bluray player abd had to get a second disc years ago. Mission Impossible rouge fallout? 4K froze on the Panasonic DMP-UB900EB, where I got myself another 4k Panasonic 9000. Seems that often some discs are going to have a playback snag with some players.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Hello Andy

it’s not an unusual problem you have

over the last few years if one was to peruse the following threads at various websites in the uk and USA for the following UHD players

pioneer LX 500 and LX 800

Oppo 203 and 205

Panasonic 9000 and 900

Sony players

you can see numerous members reporting glitches like discs freezing , pixelation and stuttering

some owners have issues , most don’t . Might be luck of the draw , but I think it’s one of the issues that made Oppo quit because there were so many reports of freezing at the outset of the UHD format Oppo had had enough

initially oppo owners were telling people to wash their discs but this was a red herring because oppo issued firmware updates to make their players much more stable at reading discs

The early Sony UHD players were terrible at freezing , with newer generation players becoming more reliable

UHD Discs , like Blu ray , are made just like Vinyl : a glass master is made in which tiny dots are etched into the glass , then a mother impression is made , plated and these “stampers” are used in injection moulds to make our discs

how any Blu rays and UHD’s actually end up playing with so much room for error is a minor miracle

with uhd the dots in the stampers are squeezed in more tightly than ever so one needs far more accurate lasers

LIONSGATE has a reputation in itself for problematic discs . If you search various forums many people have had issues with Lionsgate Blu rays . Check the amazon USA reviews for HACKSAW RIDGE UHD from Mel Gibson : several owners of this discs have reported it freezing

is it discs replication errors ? Laser issues ? Time will tell

The Panasonic 9000 is only made in two countries : China and Czech Republic . Even the one sold in Japan with the higher specd DACS is made in China

with my Panasonic 9000 I had several issues where Blu rays and UHD’s would freeze . Yet these discs would play fine in my oppo 103 implying my oppo had better error correction

I would suggest you turn off VIERA LINK on your Panasonic player ( and the CEC control on your TV)

as well as disabling wifi on your Panasonic 9000

these 2 changes were recommended to me and made my Panasonic player much more stable and less freezing

Last edited:

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Willy, cheers great info. :thumbsup:

Latest firmware are all updated and one did mention thou can't recall if it was for the Panasonic or Denon, but it mentioned "stable for bluray".

I shall give the following a go and see if it has any success and post back later. Cheers.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
VIERA LINK was already switched off, yet switched it On, same 4k issue of freezing.
CEC not sure where on the LG it is, as needle in haystack mean anything?
I switched Midway over to Panasonic 900 again, but that HDR sucks! Picture looks garbage with the settings at 0 for all the players 0 settings. Adjust the DR down to -7. chapter 6, 0:39:34 with clouds in background look fine. Even thou they are fake cgi clouds but look fine and look garbage with DR at 0.

Why can't we all switch back to Laserdisc, as I lots my temper with LG the Panasonic and threw the remote at the LG! It be in a 40min video when its loaded up.

hollyweird needs my foot up its a$$! They are making all these errors on purpose! Well I hope some hollwierd sound mixer buys some sour milk this week, then they know how it feels to be a consumer. As I have to watch sour 4k that fails. This would never happen with 35mm cinema, reason why I don't go to digital cinemas they are just the same as home cinema.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
My heart goes out to you as having a movie freeze really sours the experience of UHD

having perused many forums for years I’ve seen the following

- some people have a problem with a disc freezing on their Oppo 203 but plays fine on another player

- some people have a disc freeze on their Panasonic UHD player and plays fine on their Oppo

-I’ve seen people assume it was the fault of the brand new UHD disc get a replacement and often that worked , sometimes no

Panasonic support weren’t very keen on alleviating the distress of owners . Oppos customer service was world class

but if your midway disc plays fine on the panny 900 then that implies the Panasonic 9000 Is the problem not a replication error on the midway disc

I just think the UHD format was asking for trouble by cramming the data so close together . I recall HD-DVD when it came out causing a Tsunami of problems with discs freezing and pixellating and thought this format will die

don’t worry about disabling CEC on your LG TV as you’ve already disabled viera link on your player. Assuming your Panasonic 9000 is under warranty you should take it back to your dealer and ask them to intervene on your behalf

it’s very frustrating when people fork out a lot of money on a high end player and it causes dramas. Lots of reports of freezing on the flagship pioneer UHD players

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I shouldn't have to send the Panasonic back. They should make a visit with another 9000 sealed in the box and lets see if it acts up? I wait for Midway UK release and buy it again. And it if acts up a second time its heading for the cat litter box. To insult hollywood and these professionals at the rubbish they are making really, fangs me to the teeth.

UHD is a rubbish format. bluray rubbish. HD-DVD is a dead format that doesn't play rotted discs. Laserdisc funny how I can it can play with a bit of skin on the disc and yet still play past the skin stick on the disc, yet rubbish 4k just freezes and pixels and I hate seeing pixels. I rather see Laser smeared disc image.

I say it again. The more things change. The more they stay same. and UHD 4k hasn't even bucked up its act, its a joke format.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
And maybe that’s why DVD won the format war

even when scratched DVDs play and cause no dramas

joe public wants everything to go smoothly and who can blame them

andySu

Senior HTF Member
It clicks now! Midway was huge flop and it figures. Make some of the discs faulty so, so many consumers buy it again.
This is a conspiracy, that's what this is. And everyone is in on it, Including the authoring plants.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Yeah right its our players. Its the disc. How do I switch off Dolby Vision on the Panasonic 9000, thou does seem to defeat purpose of using Dolby vision to downgrade it to HDR or switching the 4k disc over to a Panasonic 900.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I switched off the Dolby labs vision on this movie and it plays past the freezing issues with only HRD10+ being used. So no need for me to switch the disc from Panasonic 9000 to 900 its the Dolby labs vision that is messing the film up. But what if I played a film that only has HDR10+ and it freezes up, I guess then I would switch the HRD off, on the player.

Yes switch the Dolby labs vision OFF while playing MIDWAY on a Panasonic 9000 or other players with this freezing issue.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
There appears to be issues with certain Dolby Vision titles that are encoded with Dolby Atmos causing players to shitt themselves.
It’s being discussed on avsforum and Blu ray.comm
it’s one of the problems with the catastrophe of Ultra HD which has been rushed to market and consumers are being used as beta testers

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Playing, Terminator Dark Fate, Dolby labs vision, seems okay on the Panasonic 9000.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
And there are reports that these same discs are not choking on the Pioneer Lx500 so it’s not a disc replication error

another glaring reminder of WHY DVD is the number 1 choice amongst consumers

we pray when we buy a Premium UHD player that the company will

1. still be offering firmware upgrades to handle troublesome discs 2 years from now ( often they throw us in front of a bus , Oppo excepted )

2. Will the company actually still be in business in 2 years

region coding for Blu ray and “encryption” guaranteed DVD a win

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Strange DVD is still in there.
I expect that is what hollywierd is gonna do to us, throw us all under the bus once they made billions from us with their lemon products.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
No picture of the other Midway, UK release 4k, I must have my dementia bad? I can't recall buying it again? It arrived yesterday and guess what. When placed in the Panasonic 9000, it remembered the last time it was played with Resume. I thought Oh no I bet it does the same freeze up in the same time position and Yes it did. Its a Dolby vision issue encoding fault so switch off the Dolby vision on the players settings and just gonna have to use the HDR only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks