What's new

Testing Hi-Fi Equipment (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Hi all!
Im new to this forum and have to tell that its a REALLY NICE place.
Im new also to all this and want to know the best, cheaper way to evaluate home equipment. So far I have a copy (valid only for another 28 days!) of spectralab software and a Radio Shack SPL meter.
Im still learning to use the software but I have a lot of doubts, I hope that someone can help me, either talking in this forum or pointing me to a link on the net where I can learn about all this.
I know that the RS SPL will not be reliable in HF (beyond 10,000hz) until some mic modifications, but I want to use it right now to make some tests.
I cant obtain a flat reading in all the spectrum using the SpectraLab. LF appear to have a lot more power than HF, so the "line of response" (english is not my first language, so please excuse me if sometimes I dont know how to express myself) using a frequency sweep from 20hz to 20,000hz lose power gradually as it aproach from the LF to the HF.
Is this normal? is there a way to obtain a flat graphical response (to the limits of the speakers of course) like in the magazines?
Im using the "c" weighting and the "corrected" data from around the Net on the spl meter and spectralab is using a 44100 sampling rate with an fft size of 16384, smooth window is hanning and Im averaging two samples. I dont know if all this is relevant or I need to change other parameters.
Thanks!

Julian Data

Second Unit
Hi Manuel,
Yes, it's normal for a typical room to have the bass reading higher than the HF.
You might consider doing some reading on testing Audio equipment.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks