Testing for a possible bad Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark^Faust, May 13, 2004.

1. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Are there any specific tests I can run to test for a bad subwoofer..(except for no sound at all)??

It seems my Velodyne FSR12B is not hitting like it used to..Might just be me...Might be my Yamaha HTR-5250 also...

Some things that seem to be happening that didnt use to happen....

Auto Circuitry not kicking in like it used to..(fixed by Auto Sense turned to off)

At times, sub needing to be unplugged for 3 minutes to "reset" it. If I dont, I get this really muffled noise that is not adjustable via the Gain control. Once I "reset" it, everything seems to work fine.

Bass does not sound as tight as it once was...Seems more "boomy" than before.

Is there anything a neophyte can do to help diagnose the problem?? (I am an old electronics technician/now engineer that is not afraid of taking seomthing apart and putting a DMM on it either...)

thx
    Mark

2. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

"Might" have answered my own question...
    I have a "Dynamic Range" setting on both my HTR-5250 and my CH-405 DVD player.

I set the Yamaha to Min, but forgot to check the DVD player. I remembered it last night and it was set at 50%, so I turned it off also.

I will recliabrate everything tonight and see if it is any better....

Mark

3. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

that seemed to be my problem....but now that leads to yet another problem...

THE UPGRADE BUG has bitten....... and bitten hard...

I will post another note to see how to "reign" in my current bug in a civilized manner

Mark

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Has anything in the room environment change? new furniture...different seating positions...different location for the subwoofer,ect?

Another issue is the setup menus of all source components. A lot of them default to weird things. For example, some DVD players default to two channel instead of 5.1 audio output. So if the power goes out and the components start resetting themselves...it can cause issues like this..[​IMG]

Tom V.
    SVS

5. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Nothing changed Tom...

Fixed the compression mode on the DVD player and will recal tonight...

Might want to check out my other post in the SPeakers Forum.....Involves you...sort of..

Mark
    (I am too new to post a URL..sorry)

6. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Well, I thought I had it fixed....

I went to turn on the sub and it would not turn on...Either in Auto Mode or Manually On mode. No green light.

I had been using the remote control, and it had no effect either..Changed batteries..same thing..

I unplugged it from the wall and left it for about 5 minutes. Then I plugged it back in..Green light came back on. It was then switchable on/off via the remote fine.

I am thinking the interface/amp is going bad. It is supposedly a 120W amplifier...Would I have to use a Velodyne replacement, or could I get a 3rd party one that would work just as well??

thx
    Mark

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Your "Dynamic Range" settings on the Yamaha should be set to MAX. The MIN setting has your Dynamic Range fully engaged and compressing your sound. Read this short thread from several days ago: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=196941 Also, replace the sub cable w/ another to see if it is the culprit. I had the same sub problems as you and I was all set to buy a new sub until I swapped out my old cable, bought a new one, and the sub worked again. The wire connections in the old cable had come loose causing loss of output, and the "auto on" circuit in the sub not to engage properly.

8. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Kevin,
    Thinking logically, I set that to Min thinking "amount of compression"...Last week I turned it to STD since I do a lot of listening after the wife is in bed. It is totally opposite of my DVD player which goes from OFF to FULL in 1/8 increments.

Which would be best to use...the receiver or the DVD player if I wanted to use this setting??

Seems like my plate amp is going on the fritz anyway...Looking at SVS subs, but would like to get the Velo one fixed to sell....

9. Kevin Alexander

Since the Yamaha setting defies logic, set it to "MAX", in addition to that set your DVD player to "OFF". If the wife is in bed, I'd rather use volume control rather than compress the range, but that's just me.

10. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

LOL....

Volume Control...what a novel idea....seriously...never entered my head as an option...

Sounds like what I will do also...thx...
    Know where I can pick up a decent 120W RMS platew amp??

Mark

11. Kevin Alexander

I've never been in the market for one, but www.partsexpress.com is popular w/ most people for plate amps.