What's new

Testing for a faulty CPU? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
There are apps to test RAM, but are there any apps for testing CPU's? I've had some odd crashes when running CPU-intensive processes, so I'd like to try determine if the problem actually lies in the CPU.

Thanks,

-Dave

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
yeah prime95 is an excellent cpu test program. it performces cpu intensive operations and compares the answers that your cpu generates with the known answer to validate the cpu's ability.

this program is a widely accepted stablity tester in the overclocker community, it is very thourough on testing the cpu's stabilty. commonly used in conjuntion with other programs like 3dmark and memtest86 to ensure total system stability.

you can download it here:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

best of luck to you.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rob! If I have any problems, I hope my warranty covers it...

-Dave

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that you may have memory problems instead of CPU problems, and vice versa. There is no way of telling unless you swap components when a problem occurs.

If prime95 reports an error, you may have a memory problem, a CPU problem, or both. Memory timings could be off, your FSB could be too high, your CPU could be overheating (even if the temperature is nominal, one part of the CPU could be overheating away from the thermal sensor), etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks