What's new

Testing Cables (1 Viewer)

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to hook up more than one type of cable from my DVD Player (DV 440) to my Sony Wega. The reason I ask, is that I want to test a few cables to see which one "I" notice the best improvement (mainly to determine if stepping up from S-Cable to Component is worth it now). I was hoping that I could just plug in a set of composite, S-Video, & Component from my DVD player to my Wega and then switch through the Video modes. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

-Tim

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Most DVD players have all video outputs active so multiple connections are usually just fine.
If you decide to go Component, the best value for your money is to hit the custom sites that will sell you a set of cables using Canare plugs and either Canare or Belden coax. (This is the stuff used in the broadcast industry & production studios).
As your system becomes more "sensitive", the need for Component cables will increase.
By "sensitive" I mean:
- Display size 40-50" or bigger
- Pusing Progressive/HD video
- Having a HDReady TV that de-interlaces the signal
- Long runs (10 feet or more)
Some sites with good reputations are:
www.bettercables.com
www.wickedcables.com
Link Removed
Or if you like eBay, do a search for "Canare" and you will find a few guys selling cables through Ebay.
These component cables will tend to match/out-perform the Monster Video 3 cable sets that cost about $280. So for $75 they are a great value.
Another Note: Even if you use the same DVD player, the signal from the 3 different outputs can have different brightness/contrast/etc. Hopefully that Wega has separate settings for all 3. So you really should use Avia/Video Essentials to adjust both the SVideo and Component inputs before you do your comparison.
Good Luck.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Tim,

Here is my recommendation. Go with Component Video and try the Silver series video cables from Monster. I have always noticed a difference with component cables over straight Svideo. I have had good luck with mine.

Happy Hunting!

Lee

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input.

I'll be taking a look at those Monster's silver line along with some of those canare type cables.

-Tim

Brandon B

Second Unit
Tim -

I only have a 36" standard def Toshiba (their nicest non-flatscreen from 2001), with component, Svid and composite inputs.

I've used all three from my DVD player (a pioneer F727), using crap composite cables, very good composite cables, mediocre Svid, RS gold component and most recently some DIY component cables made from Canare 75 ohm RCAs and Belden 1695A RG6.

On my medium - nice TV, the difference in picture quality from the RS gold components to my new DIYs is plainly apparent. Better color and detail. Not night and day, but certainly worth the effort.

The difference from any composite to Svid of almost any quality is the most major step up. But as I said, the improvements between OK and nice component cables are noticeable on my set (by any and all I've asked to compare, except my 4 year old who thought I was being funny), so on your WEGA, should be worth it too IMHO.

I'd second Bob M's suggestionn, and add Markertek.com to his list. They will sell you all-Canare sets, or parts to make your own.

BB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks