Testing a subwoofer amp...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveVan, Jan 27, 2003.

1. DaveVan

DaveVan Extra

My RCA RT2500 receiver has a builtin amp for the passive sub. I would like to know if the output is already low-pass filtered, or if the crossover is built into the passive sub enclosure.
    Im thinking I can just connect one of my bookshelf speakers (100w,6 Ohm) to the amplified sub output (200w into 3 Ohm).
    If I hear nothing from the tweeter, then the sub output would be filtered, correct? Would this possibly damage my speaker or amp?

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's probably the right method. You might also try fiddling with the speaker settings - small vs large. Or maybe try inputting a full-range signal into the subwoofer input of the 5.1 channel inputs.

It sure would be silly to leave out the low-pass filter on something like this. But its impressive that the sub out has a performance rating at 3 Ohms. This would seem to indicate 3-ohm stable operation. Then again, I've got a cheap Pioneer stereo receiver that rates "Dynamic Power" down to 2 ohms but says to use 8 ohm speakers. I wouldn't dare try it into 2 ohms.

3. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    What a weird receiver. I wonder if the sub amp is any different from the other channels. Assuming the power supply can hack it, isn't 200W @ 3 ohm about equal to 100W @ 6 ohm, or 70-80W @ the 8 ohm that everyone else rates their equiptment at? Of course, I wouldn't assume the power supply could deliver that to more than one channel at a time...

4. DaveVan

DaveVan Extra

Thanks guys [​IMG]
    Tried it out and it does seem to be low-pass filtered in some way. I was pleasantly surprised by the bass output of my bookshelf speakers too.
    And thanks to the thread on test tones, I can burn a test cd to see what the corner frequency is on the output.
    So it seems to build a sub, all I need is a decent driver in a sturdy box, no electronics needed. It may not be the best way, but my funds are very limited.