What's new

Tested Paradigm Servo-15 today - Long (1 Viewer)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Well, have been trying to make a decision on an SVS sub or a Paradigm Servo-15 to replace a KSW12.
Living in Canada with the value of CDN to US$ of .64, we pretty much need to double to US price to get an SVS landed here. That means for a 20-39PC+ it would be on the order of 1650CDN.
Have read a great deal about the quality, performance and customer satisfaction of SVS, but unfortunately I am not in the position to hear one here in central B.C. Others in this Forum have suggested the Paradigm line especially since I live in Canada.
Went to my local Paradigm Reference dealer today with the following:
The Matrix DVD
Fight Club DVD
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over DVD - dts
Diana Krall - Live In Paris DVD - dts
Test tones CD 1Hz intervals at 0db
RS SPL Meter
The gentleman was kind enough to set me up with the Studio 100's turned off, but 4 Studio 20's and a Studio CC on. Set the Bass Management to all 'small' and all speakers set to 0db. The Servo-15 was hooked directly to the Denon receiver's LFE out rather than through the Paradigm X-Series unit. He then left me to my devices
:D .
In the Matrix S15 Morpheus/Neo Matchup the drums and synthesizer were very clear with no boominess. When Neo hits the ground I felt the solid kick of the bass into my body. In S32 Rooftop Rescue the Chopper Crash was solid and again did not boom. I think this would be attributed to the Servo system. Listening at 'Reference' Level and there was no fading or dropouts.
In Fight Club C8 Single Serving Jack, the mid air collision was incredible to feel, and C27 Near Life Experience the car wreck had me holding the couch in the demo room.
The bass and drum lines on the Eagles DVD (specifically Track 9 Love Will Keep Us Alive) were tight and 'single note'. There is definately no boominess like the Klipsch. For music this sub is great.
The Diana Krall DVD with standup bass on track 13 S'Wonderful again showed how tight the sub is.
I then threw in the Sine Waves CD and was able to get 108db (corrected by adding 8db- Slow C weighted) at 18Hz with the meter approximately 1.5 metres from the sub. From 17Hz down there was a fairly quick rolloff. As an aside I had the room resonating with a 20Hz test tone at nearly 110db and I figured the staff would toss me out, but they let me continue
:) .
This was a fairly rough test in a 3.5 x 4m room, but overall I was extremely happy with the performance of the sub. It's as big as a medium sized coffee table but has more WAF than the SVS 39 inch tall tube (which I think looks 'cool' BTW).
The Servo-15 has a MSRP of 1800CDN and I can pick it up for 1400CDN (approx 900US), so I think this is the one for me.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in a similar boat. I'd love to grab an svs 25-31pci, but after getting it to vancouver it'd be over $1000cad.

I'm currently eyeing an adire rava ($600cad) or a pw-2200 ($700-800?) to replace my pdr-10.

anyone have insight into how these two compare to each other?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
After all that you almost owe the man a sale. A good relationship with a dealer such as you hve going here is imeasureable. From the sounds of things you would not have any service issues. . .

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
hey ernie,how are you?
I would say go with the PW-2200.I've listened to it at my local store once,and all i can say is wow.It has some very tight,deep,monstrous bass and goes down to 18HZ.
BTW,you said between the 700-800,is that Canadian money?
Later.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ernie, the PW-2200 is a great sub and almost equals the servo-15 for output and probably tops it at some frequencies. It wouldn't be as tight as the servo but would be WAY more powerfull than the PDR-10.

I hear everyone saying they can get these subs for $800. I guess the price of the sub here is higher as, I was quoted $869 , the MSRP is $999 I beleive. AudioShop sells it for $999 but has a demo model right now for less, shipping would probably make it not worth it though.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
PaulT,

Which Paradigm dealer did you go to? It sounds awlfully like J&A's in PG, right?

Is that $1400 before taxes and with the crossover? If so, it seems a bit pricey. You can do a search for some Canadian pricing here.

A couple of years ago, I did a 2 hour audition there on the Denon 4800, Paradigm Studio/60 & Studio/20 and Paradigm Reference Servo 15. The Servo 15 was good, but it didn't quite meet my expections.

David

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
In the Matrix S15 Morpheus/Neo Matchup the drums and synthesizer were very clear with no boominess. When Neo hits the ground I felt the solid kick of the bass into my body.
For me the real test of this scene is when Morpheus' knee hits the floor ... That's a hit you should FEEL in your bones!

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm guessing at the $700-800 price on the pw-2200. I've got a good relationship with my paradigm dealer (I bring in many friends) so I'm hoping I'd be able to get him to go down to that, but 20% off list usually isn't a problem.

At $800+ though, the $600 adire rava sounds tempting, but I've already been hit with upgrade fever only one year into owning my current paradigms.

I'm almost 80% music (music is always on when I'm in my room), but noticed my pdr-10 bottom out in a few movies which was disappointing, hence the upgrade (and the look at the adire).

and yes, I'm working in canadian dollars.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I can get the Servo 15 here in Kelowna for $990, so try and bring the price down a bit. It was a toss up between the Servo 15 and a DIY ported Shiva, but I decided to go with the Shiva as it would be alot of fun. I honestly don't think the Servo 15 could out do my Shiva, as I'f compared the two a fair amount, though in different rooms.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Cam, I was demo'ing the unit in Kelowna at Andre's (Tony was the salesman). I had previously gotten the price from the Andre's rep in Vernon (before tax). They can't keep them here due to there being another Paradigm dealer in Vernon (even thought they don't sell the Reference line).

Guess I'll make the deal with Tony himself at the Kelowna store. I hadn't talked price with him, he just gave me the run of the room and gear. If I can save another few hundred that would certainly be more to my liking.

When did you get the quote on the 15. BTW that was with the X-Over.

brucek

Second Unit
Paul,

I hope you aren't considering getting the Servo-15 without it's X-30 crossover. It's a valuable, must have item.....

brucek

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
If you can get it for $990 without personally/intimately knowing the dealer. I'll find it HARD to beleive. That is close to cost. They usually sell for $1400 - $1600 I can get one for $1300 from a dealer, maybe $1250.

Cam, don't you "know" the dealer, I remember you saying you could get some Klipsh RF's for some rock bottom price. (I think it was you). I think the price was like $600 I went to a dealer that I know well asked him his best price on the same speakers it was $1000 I said that someone on here said he could get them for $600 he said, honestly here's my cost, he showed it to me $900!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Paul, I've dealt with Andrew every time, or Andre himself. Derek, the manager in the Kelowna shop, is also very nice and helpfull. I remember dealing with one guy who helped me out one day and he was great, and I believe he is in vernon now, but I can't remember his name, a young guy though maybe 26. I didn't check out what the X-30 was as I was just looking at the Servo 15. I would have gotten the X-30 as well though if I did decide to go with the Servo 15. The price of $990 was cost + 5-10% I believe.

James, yes that was me who could get the Klipsch products (or any product they sell) for dirt cheap. My Nuance speakers that I was using for the fronts crapped out (FINALLY) so now I'm gonna go ahead and get the RF-3's for $680, which is great. That Price on the RF-3's is cost +10%. What did the salesman say his cost of $900 was for? Couldn't have been the RF-3's or even the RF-5's, which is around 1300. The RB-3's and RF-3's are by far the best deal though, $375 for RB-3's and $680 for the RF-3's, that system couldn't be beat for the money, no way. The RC-3 is the same price as the RB-3's.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
brucek,

I will be getting the X30 with the Servo-15. I guess I still have a bit of wheeling and dealing to do as I will soon be upgrading my fronts and center as well which should give me a bit more leverage. I saw that they had the Studio CC for 700CDN, lists at 800. I'm sure that could be improved as well.

Cam, I'll talk with Tony and see if Andre is in the shop next time I'm there. Thanks.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
It's tough when you have one dealer in the area. May check out Vancouver or Calgary as well. I like to deal locally when I can but 2 or 3 hundred per unit is a bit hard to take.

Anyone with quotes on the following in CDN please pass them along as well as the area of the country you are in:

Reference Studio CC
Reference Studio 40's
Servo-15 w X30 XOver

Thanks a bunch

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
I was quoted $1350 CDN, HST extra for the Servo-15 at Magic Forest Music, Fredericton New Brunswick. I was quoted $1400 at Peak Audio in Halifax. This included the X-30 crossover.

brucek

Second Unit
Paul,
I will be getting the X30 with the Servo-15
That's good. It sounded from your original post that you weren't going to get it.
I would highly recommend the X-30 control unit. If you don't use it today, you will someday, and you'll kick yourself for not purchasing it for such a reasonable price - given its features and build quality.....
I'm sold on my X-30 unit that I got with my Servo-15 a few years ago. At the time, I did some bench tests on it and it certainly (as they say) met and exceeded my expectations.............
It provides you with volume control conveniently situated with your equipment rather than having to reach around the rear of your sub to adjust. This feature alone is worth the price.
The X-30 is a very nice line amp that can provide up to +13dB of voltage gain with an appropriate high input and low output impedance. This feature is often required if you had a processor with a challenged output driver section or especially if you decided to install a BFD and needed output gain gain control. Unity gain on the X-30 is realized at the -46dB dial position (just above half), with +13dB gain realized at the 0dB full volume position - for anyone who's interested...:)
It has the added benefit of being inexpensive, well made, with a very low noise floor and you get two line outputs with variable phase if you want to use it, specifically if you ever decide to use two subs. The Servo-15 has no phase capabilities on its own.
It also provides you with a variable 3rd order low pass crossover that may be necessary in the future if have a processor used in true analog bypass that sends full range signals to the sub and you want to bandpass it . The low pass can easily be dialed to max to get it out of the way if you're not needing that feature. There's also built-in active low level high-pass filter at 50Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz - but this wouldn't likely ever be used.......
It also comes with a good long RCA hookup cable.
brucek

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I would definetly pick up the servo. I've been estatic since the day I brought it home...

Nice piece of equipment...

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks