What's new

test your math skills. (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Very easy little test to do. 20 multiple choice.quiz
I got 20/20. But if I used no calculator, and had a time restriction, it probably would have been 18 or 19

Good luck!!

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I only got 13 of 20 but I used no calculator or pencil and paper and haven't had my first cup of joe today. That's my excuse.

JamesED

Second Unit
No calculator, but I used a 4'x4' pad of paper and a pen. 20/20, took me less than 10 mins to complete.

I'm an engineering/physics major right now. Now, asking me to take a 20 question lit. test..

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Got 20/20, but used a calculator on some. #11 took me forever to figure out, and my method of eventually getting it right was different than theirs. Here's how they got it and how I got it.

The question was "What is next in this sequence? 2, 3, 8, 63..." Their answer was 3968, and you get the next number in the sequence by squaring the previous number and subtracting one. I got it by multiplying the numbers before and after it. For 2, I multiplied 1 and 3. For 3, I multiplied 2 and 4. For 8, I multiplied 7 and 9. And so on...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I haven't taken the quiz, but Thomas, your method works the same way as theirs because of something familiar from algebra:

x^2 - 1 = (x+1)*(x-1)

You may have already realized that, just thought I'd point it out. Math is fun! :emoji_thumbsup:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Didn't realize that, but it kicked back in once I saw your explanation. Not taking math classes for four years will do that to me.

Meh. I didn't do too well in geometry (proofs :angry:) and calculus (limits were the bane of my existence), but I was great with algebra.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
20/20, no pencil, used a calculator on 2 problems because I was lazy. One key to doing this quiz in your head is to eliminate obviously wrong answers, and often you're only left with one correct choice. For example, on the last problem, there is only one x^2 term in the whole equation. All you have to do is figure out the x^2 multiplier and look at the answers, there was only one answer with that multiplier.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think the point is to not use a calculator. All of the ones that look like they need a calculator don't.

These aren't the numbers, but there was one problem where you had to add two "big" numbers, let's pretend they're

1,230,486 and 5,428,238

with possible answers:

The answer is immediately obvious once you add 6+8.

There were 'tricks' like that on most problems don't remember what an isocleses triangle is? When one answer is 3 equal sides and another answer is 3 equal angles, you can eliminate both those answers immediately

EugeneR

Second Unit
Got 19 but missed a gimme. What's the formula for calculating the third side of a triangle again? :b It's been a long time...

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator

As long as it's a right triangle, of course, otherwise it gets a bit uglier...

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2*a*b*cos(C), where C is the angle opposite the unknown side (c).

Man, I don't miss school...

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
20 out of 20, but I used a calculator on the percentage/ratio stuff because of laziness.

If you used a calculator on the negative exponent problems, however, your problem isn't laziness. You need to brush up on your exponent tricks of the trade.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
20/20 here as well, but I used a calculator on a couple of questions because it's early and I really didn't want to work it out by hand...

Hunter P

Screenwriter
20/20 with no calc. Hurray for multiple choice quizzes.:D

I always contended that I could walk into any course on a college campus and get a passing grade on their multiple choice quiz regardless of my expertise in that course. In fact, that is kinda how I passed my Calc II course. I skipped half the classes (as did everyone else in the class) and slept at my desk on the other half. I don't recall ever opening the book except to pretend to be following along with the lecture even though I was really doodling. I never studied and got a B+ in the course.:emoji_thumbsup: Today I can barely do long division.:laugh:

So again I say, hurray for multiple choice quizzes. And for that matter hurray for grading on a curve.:D

JamesED

Second Unit

Good luck doing that for an engineering exam here. They have around 12 answer choices per question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks