Test Tones??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy Gonzalez, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Jimmy Gonzalez

Jimmy Gonzalez Stunt Coordinator

How does using Video Essentials or Avia effect DTS play back? I have VE but I find my Denon 3208's test tones to do a better job on DTS. I read here that allot of people prefer software test tones over receiver test tones. How does Avia compare to VE? I was thinking of giving it a try.

Thanks,

Jimmy.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This weekend, I recalibrated using the Sound & Vision disc that I picked up for $15 at Fry's Electronics. Works just fine. Previously calibrated with VE, and the levels were still even, but a little lower for the same volume on the receiver. The S&V disc also has 6.1 tones, which VE does not, as well as more useful tests for sub calibration. S&V also has separate DTS test tones.

I never calibrated using my internal test tones. Will compare today, with recent recal and see what the meter reads.

3. Jimmy Gonzalez

Jimmy Gonzalez Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, John.
    I will hit Fry's at lunch and pick up the S&V DvD. For $14.99, it's worth a try.[​IMG]
    Jimmy

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The internal test tones on my Marantz SR6200 were nearly identical to the S&V levels for the same volume. I redid everything with the internal tones, then popped in the S&V disc and there was only a minor variation on one speaker.