What's new

Test tones are bad... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Argh. I picked up an Avia disk this weekend, and started playing with the 200-20 sweeps...

Wish I hadn't... Now I've _gotta_ get new speakers - I played with just about every crossover/speaker size combo available on my receiver (Denon 1803), and my front speaks (Infinity Entra Twos and an Entra Center) have a serious spike (at least 10-12db - pegging the meter, and I had it "centered" on the left side) at about 150hz, then things drop off (to "normal")again, and come back up at around 60-50hz (regardless of if I was using the front speaks set as large with no sub, or if I was at small with a sub)... This was tested with sub both on and off, and on and off at the receiver. Maybe this is a feature, not a bug...

Changing speaker sizes didn't make a difference either, except that it'd cut out below the crossover points when set to small. Current setting (judged to be the "least worse") is all small, xo at 100.

So, I'm definitely gonna build something now...

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Chuck,

It's probably not the speaker. It's most likely your room. Speakers are generally rated +/-3dB in an anechoic chamber. Meaning in order to get the spikes you're talking about you need to have signigicant room interaction. Try relocating them before you go all out building new speakers only to find the same room problems still exist.

Alternatively if you're using seperates you can EQ all your speakers flat with multiple 31 band EQs.

Seth

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
So it did it with all three speaks (using the different sweeps).

I guess it's couch/coffee table/doors/windows.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The bandwidth of 1/3rd octave (aka 31 band) EQ is too wide to properly shape the in-room FR of a speaker. Use parametric EQ for this function.

Chuck

Changing the 'size' of the speakers with the prepro will do nothing, since what you're dealing with is the interaction of the soundwaves with the geometry (size/shape) of the room

Move the speakers around in the room if you can do that. If not then use parametric EQ to 'cut' the spikes and flatten the FR.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
If you want to really be dis-heartened, play a continuous tone at a given frequency. You can pick what ever frequency you want. Then take the RS SPL meter and walk around the room, raising and lowering the meter in height. Notice how only a few inches can raise or drop the Db. My room sucks so bad that moving the Db meter less than a foot can lower or raise the sound level by +/- 10 to 15 Db on certain frequencies. In one of my chairs off to the left side of center, you cannot here the sub at all.

Ronnie

A

Anthony_Gomez

the saddest one for me was with the BPD1503. It has the inductance hump around 60 hz. I also had a HUGE room mode there and nulls on either side of it. ...and I had some ground loop humm leaking in.

==> new room arrangement and drivers :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks