What's new

Test tone/calibration problems?? Check your dB meter! (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
I humbly submit my experience with the hope that someone else will benefit from it. I have just learned from experience that Radio Shack dB meters have a limited lifetime.
Recently, I upgraded my pre/pro and began noticing test tone problems. It seemed the tones were too soft and I couldn't calibrate them at 75 dB with my trusty Radio Shack dB meter.
After a couple days of experimentation, all possible problems relating to my pre/pro were ruled out. There was nothing left but to suspect my dB meter of more than 6 years as the culprit. I replaced the battery, adjusted placement and got the same poor results. Hmmmm! :angry:
Today, I bought a new dB meter and -Presto!: Accurate readings at reference level! It would seem that my old dB meter just bit the dust on me - my equipment was fine (and had been all along)!
:D
LESSONS:
[1] Check the simple stuff first!
[2] Your Radio Shack dB meter won't live forever. Some day it will fail.
Hope this helps someone else!

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Parts Express has a nice looking SPL meter for $49 that I am considering as a replacement to my RS meter. It seems to have some nice "extra" features.

Just thought I'd mention it.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
My RS meter failed recently after having it for about 5 years. You had to tap on it sometimes hard to get it to work. I bought a new one and gave my old one to my 2 year old daughter to play with. She puts the mic part to her eye thinking you look through it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.