1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Test Sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RichardHOS, Nov 17, 2003.

1. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I'd like to build a small, reasonably light and reasonably portable sub that I could use to test various environments for low frequency response and appropriate sub location and acoustic treatment. Ideally, I'd like flat output down to around 10~15Hz at a reasonable level, say 75~80dB. I'm thinking small sealed cube with Linkwitz-Transform and modest plate amp, and possible a purpose built active EQ circuit after near-field measurements if the response isn't flat enough. In other words, I'm looking to put together a portable "reference" sub for room setup and calibration.

It doesn't seem like a PR design is appropriate, but I'd appreciate any thoughts in case I'm heading down the wrong path.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Richard,

Are you looking for flat anechoic response to 10-15Hz or flat in room to 10-15Hz?

3. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I've thought about that, and I believe flat anechoic would be preferrable, since it will be used in a variety of rooms and designing for a flat in-room response is trying to hit a moving target. If I know the sub is flat, that would provide useful information as to the room's gain to incorporate into subsequent room treatments and EQ settings.

4. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I don't have access to LspCAD here at work, so I'm just fiddling around with WinISD. Looks like a Stryke AV12 in a small sealed enclosure should be capable of 80+ dB anechoic down to 10Hz, but I need to check the excursion at that frequency.

In my case, the Linkwitz Transform won't really be boosting the low end... I see it more as capping the response above the target frequency. i.e., if I find that 10 watts produces full excursion at the lowest test frequency, then I'll just set the gain for a 10 watt output with constant voltage test signal input frequencies and try to maintain the same SPL throughout the sub's range.

Something smaller even than a 1 ft cube would be nice for transporting all over the place. Any ideas for suitable 10" or even smaller drivers with the requisite throw to suit this application?

5. michael-e

michael-e Agent

6. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

That level wasn't something chosen for adequate listening levels, but rather for an adequate level for measurment using a calibrated mic. Perhaps I should shoot for a bit more than 80dB, but I do want this to be pretty portable. Something like ~50lbs would be nice.