What's new

test sub is done (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
Well, I got impatient...
as some of you might know ive been having bass dilemas for a while, trying to choose what type of enclosure for my sub. So being impatient I just grabed an old 15" PA speaker that my brother used in his band and hooked that up as my sub. WOW, it was like having a bass drum right behind you and someone was stomping on it as hard as they could. impressive db's but thats about it and it hurt my ears. Well I couldnt stand it anymore. I cut a new front for the box and made holes for my 2 x 10" sub speakers Ive had for a while. Well the box was about 4 cubic feet or about 112 cubic liters. [i hope that conversion is right]
It is an old box so im sure it isnt 100% sealed but I am pumping a max of 120 watts per speaker so I dont need to fix it up much more. besides, this is a temporary run. I just wanted to see how a large sealed box would do.

My impression?
why didnt I do this months ago!!!It sounds incredible!I went thru all my Cd's trying the low bass tracks and grinning the whole time!!! I did the Phantom Menace Pod race/THX test. I couldnt be happier :)

Ill see if I can grab a RatshaQ meter this week and do some tests. maybe ill post pics if I can get a digi cam

PS, the box faces the back of my couch and sits on 4 tennisballs to keep it off the carpet.
any idaeas suggestions would be appreciated.

Geno

Supporting Actor
no, it wont roll off the balls, remember ive only got 120 watts per speaker not like some with 750+ watts.

the drivers ive been told are martin logans but i cannot get any specs for them individually whatsoever. I havent event found a close match in all the oem distributors online. although if they are ML's I dont think those would be offered out right online when they go into such great speakers.they are definately made for moving lots of air, big old rubber surround on them.
quik readings on my SPL meter give good readings from 28Hz to 80Hz then fall off sharply either way.

Ill try to get a more scientific reading this weekend.

I do have one ?:

Should I try to stuff the interior with polyfil?

Geno

Supporting Actor
i GUESS I WANTED TO FIND OUT IF THERE WERE ANY "TWEAKES" i COULD DO TO MAKE THIS BOX A BIT BETTER.

tHIS WEEKEND, iM HOOKING UP AN OSCILATOR SO i WILL HAVE MUCH BETTER DATA TO POST. i GUESS iLL HAVE TO TRY IT AFTER MY DECODER CAUSE THERE IS NO DIGI OUT ON THE OLD OSCILATOR. HMM I WONDER IF i COULD UN IT THROUGH THE ANALOG IN... ITS ONLY A MINI INPUT AND THINGS DONT SOUND AS GOOD WHEN i PLUG IT IN THERE....ANYWAY, IM RAMBLING, ILL HAVE DATA UP SOON. PLEASE POST ANY HELPFUL HINTS YOU CAN THINK OF.

CIAO
GENO

Geno

Supporting Actor
Just an update...

Well Ive moved the sub to the fron of the room. It is now my center speaker stand and from sitting position, the top of the center is 1" below the screen, which is perfect. It seems to come in clearer now too :)

I got too busy to hook up the oscilator but Ill try this week. im curious to see how well this sub does..
Once again, any suggestions on how much polyfil
I might need for this sub?

I dont want to take 100's of measurements each time I try to change one aspect of the sub just to see if it will sound better. I'd rather have some suggestions.

please... any help would be great

Geno

Supporting Actor
Well I have a dilema...
I have found a matching 10" to those I already have.

My ? is... should I try to recreate the martin logan descent???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks