TESS (1979) on DVD Sept. 28?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by obscurelabel, Jul 9, 2004.

1. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    This thread on another forum states that Tess will be released (R1) this September 28th. Can anyone confirm this? TIA

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

well, I hope so. Ive been waiting for a long time.
    Its from Sony(Columbia) so that sounds right.

Septermber-gonna have to take out a second on the house.

3. Lino Reno

Lino Reno Stunt Coordinator

This masterwork is coming out next month on the 4th in France on a 2 disc special edition.

The feature will include an audio commentary by Polanski and the second disc will include a 41 min. making of, photo galleries and a trailer!

I'm personally VERY happy about this release because in my opinion this is Roman's greatest masterpiece and I'm glad I held back from buying the other previous R2 editions wich were not very good.

You can see the cover at dvdfr.com

4. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Is there any difference between the dvd in the Special Edition and the edition that comes packed with the book (Limited Edition)? Most of the sites I visit seem to not list any special features on the version of dvd that's packed with the book.

5. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

I found this on a shelf of a store NOT known for breaking street date last night, and I am duly impressed.
    Original scope aspect ratio, original Dolby soundtrack and some very finely crafted docus on the film itself, one of my favorites from the 1980s.
    There is no difference between the two versions, but, the version with the book was the only one I saw, and for $23.99 - well, I just couldn't say no.

6. Tom Tsai

^ so does the version you have (the one with the book) have behind the scene features?

• Tess: From Novel to Screen
    • Filming Tess
    • Tess: The Experience

Thanks.

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Tess, photographed by Geoffrey Unsworth & Ghislain Cloquet is one of the more beautifully shot films of the late 1970s.

I'm finding problems, however, with the new DVD.

The film element used for transfer had (occasional) scratches, and the purposefully softly shot film has a nice layer of electronic starpening to help it along.

Nothing terrible here as far as EE. I'd call it on par with Pirates of the Carribean, which I didn't find overly offensive, simpy obvious.

RAH

8. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Glad to know that it isn't terrible, I only watched the documentaries last night.

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Last time I checked, deepdiscountdvd was selling Tess with or without the book for the same price. http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...05&promotion=y

I already have the Hardy novel. Actually a copy of Helter Skelter may have been a better coupling.

EDIT: The copy without the book is $19.50. The copy with the book is $19.14. Somebody screwed up.

10. Tom Tsai

^ www.thecnl.com has the version with the book priced LOWER than the version without. DVDsoon.com has both priced the same. Which is why I was wondering if there was anything different between the two dvds.

11. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

oddly, DDD make no mention of any extras on the Book edition, so I stuck with the non-book to be safe. BOTH are $17.47
    @ DVDPlanet-a unit of DDD.

12. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    The book edition looks to be the SE packaged with a book in a slip-case. I found this over at DVD Times

[​IMG]

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

[​IMG]

Anamorphic 2.35:1
    English Dolby 5.1
    French Dolby 5.1
    French subtitles

Audio commentary by Polanski
    41-minute documentary

I wouldn't mind seeing a comparison between the R1, UK R2 and FR R2. I ordered the UK edition last week and should have it tomorrow. Specs are the same as the R1 - in fact, the disc is NTSC, apparently.

Great film with unforgettable images.

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Can you tell me where you ordered the UK "Tess" from Gordon? Since you are showing the picture from the French site, is there a reason you didn't order that version? Thanks Gordon. [​IMG]

15. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Mark Zimmer's review at digitallyOBSESSED.com gives the video a D+.

Nice extras, but should have been put on a second disc. Another chink in Columbia's armor.

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I was only made aware of it today. If the transfer is better and/or Polanski's comm is good, then I'll probably order the French edition also (I'm a big Polanski fan) from Amazon.fr

Tess R1 reviews

It sounds like a really half-assed transfer from Columbia. The French edition is from Fox-Pathe, who usually create clean, sharp, vibrant transfers.

17. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

You gotta be fucking kidding me! This film is 3 freakin hours long and they decided to cram 70+ minutes of extras onto the same disc as the movie!

Smooth going Columbia, you seem to activly seek out ways to screw the pooch! [​IMG]

18. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

The film opens with the Pathe logo - so I'm sure all these transfers are coming from the same source. I think there has been a Russian or Swedish version (I have it somewhere) of this same transfer and I remember watching that and thinking it had a very "videoish" look to it. Very disappointing. Well, the Columbia appears to be the exact same master from Pathe, so all those loving rush-to-judgment people who just love to blame Columbia for everything are probably wrong in this case - they probably just used what was sent them. Of course, I'd be interested to hear about the UK and French DVDs - maybe they're spread over two sides or two discs, but the Columbia, like the other DVD I have of it, sadly does not serve this marvelous film very well.

19. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The French edition is 2-discs. A DVD Beaver comparison is a must.

The UK R2 is a 1-disc.

There is a Japanese disc, but I do not know how good the transfer is.

20. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I certainly hope that the French edition has a good transfer. I'd prefer to have the Polanski commentary version. I have the R1 edition on order, but I'd cancel in a NY minute for the French version if the transfer is really good.