What's new

Terry Gilliam's Adventures of Baron Munchausen 2-disc SE - 04/088 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Not only can you pre-order the upcoming 2-disc edition of Baron Munchausen already over at Amazon (unannounced and unrumored but very very welcome), you can vote on the cover!

So far the third one is leading by a very wide margin!

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Yes! :)

As I was saying to a coworker today raving about the Blade Runner set, 'I can't think of the next DVD purchase I'm going to make'.

Looks like I just found it! I hope they include the trailer, as it was a thing of insane beauty, much like the film.

Could The Fisher King be far behind?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Excellent news!

I also prefer the third cover. Some actually got ARTISTIC?!?!? ;)

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Sounds like this is a new commentary.
All referances to the Criterion commentary that I can find list only Terry Gilliam.
Part of me hopes this is a new retrospective commentary and part of me hopes this is the Criterion commentary ported over. If only we could have both.

Either way, Im extreamly pleased with this news and have already voted for the 3rd cover.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wow! Great news.

The second one looks more like the one that would get greenlighted. Yuck!

The first one isn't all that bad. But the 3rd one is what I'd like on my shelf.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Great News! I've never seen this one but other Gilliam fans tell me it's nearly as good as Brazil. Whether it is or isn't I'll be buying. :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Still, that's a bit like saying, "Return of the Jedi is no Empire Strikes Back"...even non-Brazil early Gilliam is miles better than most everything else out there.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ayup. Always a "plus."

God, I love that trailer. Still one of the very few that's actually as funny as the movie it's advertising. Why this film still tanked with that playing to audiences is beyond me.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

That trailer is fantastic, I saw it just once on E! in the spring of 1989 and spent the next two months hoping that it would play in Rochester. My hopes were dashed.

If you've ever read Andrew Yule's Losing the Light, which is a pretty candid take on the Munchausen production, he goes into detail on how the new regime at Columbia dumped the film, moving it from Christmas 1988 to the next spring. It only played in at most 134 screens nationwide, but the grosses were about twice the per-screen average of anything else the studio put out between Christmas and June 1989. Matter of fact, there's a quote from an exhibitor in Milwaukee where he talks about people applauding the trailer!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I really need to remember to look up YouTube.

Thanks for that. It was a great trailer. I can see why people would applaud it.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
This is very welcome news - especially since it'll be coming to Blu-ray, too: what a visual treat that will be!

I am, however, a bit disappointed that they've not included the 28m behind-the-scenes promotional featurette that aired on TV (at least here in the UK) at the time of the film's theatrical release, titled Hot Air and Fantasy (TX: BBC, 13th March 1989).

Gilliam also did quite a few TV interviews promoting the film (I have ones from Wogan, Open Air and Motormouth on tape, for example).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI for those who might not know... this release is also coming to Blu-ray in 1080p with lossless audio.

It would be a no-brainer to get in HD for anyone on the fence about getting into HD or who's already equipped. Even a "super bit" DVD can't do this film's visuals justice...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks