Terry Gilliam LOST IN LA MANCHA (merged thread)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Coressel, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

2. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

That is unbelievable. I hadn't a word about this production or the disaster that it became. Gilliam is cursed.

3. Coressel

Yeah, it's pretty disturbing. But I'm glad they put together something to document the film's demise. At least we might see a couple of bits of what it would have been like.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I remember being excited about this project when I first heard about it. I'm sorry to hear it ain't gonna happen. Still, I want to see this documentary - sounds fascinating.

5. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

I was excited about the project when I first heard of it. They should try and do it all over again, the studios aren't exactly poor.

How will we all be able to watch this documentary?

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I'm really looking forward to Gilliam's adaptation of the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens. Apparently they have the script ready and are currently working on securing financing. The novel kind of played out like Monty Python's Book of Revelations, so it seems ideally suited for Gilliam. I hope this project stays together.

Regards,

7. Coressel

Guy, the "Lost in La Mancha" documentary premiered at the Berlin Film Fest. I'd love it if it at least made the art-house circuit, then came to DVD.

8. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I'm very interested in this as a Giliam fan, but also because it's from the team who created The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, which is one of the best behind-the-scenes documentaries I've ever seen.

9. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Even if I do get the opportunity to watch this documentary, I don't know if I'll be able to stand it. The material sounded like vintage Gilliam--something I've been longing for ever since he started making films based on other people's material and ideas (i.e., from The Fisher King onward).

Not that I dislike his films of the past decade--far from it--but as good as they are, they don't quite have that peculiar magic that his 80s "trilogy" has for me.

Gilliam has said that he'll revisit Quixote someday. I only hope he does, and that it doesn't get relegated to the heap of tantalizing, unmaterialized Gilliam projects (along with The Defective Detective).

--Jefferson Morris

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

He is ofcourse without a shadow of a doubt a great director, just think of Brazil or Monty Python films.
    http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/...757409,00.html
    this tells the story of him trying to bring the classic Cervantes tale to the screen and failed. this is now the basis of a documentary film doen by the same people who did the documentary on 12 Monkees.
    Gripping stuff
    [​IMG]

11. Jefferson Morris

Another fascinating and sad article on this troubled production. Although Gilliam's determination to get the thing made is heartening. Here's hoping the documentary actually does help him scare up some more financing.

I hadn't heard the news that Good Omens was officially scuttled. If true, that'll sadden more than a few fanboys. Personally, I'll be happy if Gilliam just puts all his energy into re-starting Quixote. As interesting as Omens would have been, I'm hungry for Gilliam to get back to internally generated material, as opposed to adaptations of the work of others.

--Jefferson Morris

12. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

The documentary is brilliant, but excrutiating to sit through for all the pain Gilliam (one of my faves) goes through in trying to make this picture. After seeing it, I felt like I had witnessed the death of a friend. [​IMG]

13. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Oooh, I can't wait to see this documentary! Much like Steve, I consider Gilliam one of my true favorites. Gotta respect an artist who'll fight tooth and nail to retain his independence.
    Fight the power, Terry! Get busy with Good Omens or ANYTHING new and I'll be there opening day!

14. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I saw Lost in La Mancha today, and it really made for a truly moving account of Gilliam's passion to finaly see his long dreamed project become a reality, to have cameras role then only to have it all collapse around him.
    La Mancha makes for a good contender for being one of the best film documentaries one will find out there, it really does. Whilst being devistingly sad, leaving you rather numb over all the things that had gone wrong, you are still left with a distinct feeling of hope and inspiration. Whilst sure one of the very last moments is Gilliam lamenting over having played the film out so much in his mind that he may not feel the want to bother again, the epilogue prior to the credtis shows that he still fights on.
    It's shot on DV and transfered to 35mm, the quality holds up very well. Some of the Quixote footage is there within the documentary, and that coupled with the chance to see the absolutely astounding production and costume designs just leaves you really wanting to see the final product.
    It's funny, but above all, touching. Highly recommended viewing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Dan

15. Jefferson Morris

Any word on the possible release of this, either in theaters or on video?

--Jefferson Morris

16. Jefferson Morris

Answered my own question. According to the website listed at the top of this thread, the USA will get a theatrical release this fall. Hope it gets beyond NY/LA.

--Jefferson Morris

17. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Apparently Gilliam's Don Quixote project might be saved after all. There's talk that new financiers are interested and Depp may be saving some time next year to re-shoot it.

Either way I'm really looking forward to this documentary!

18. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I absolutely loved the 12 MONKEYS documentary and will seek out this one if it comes to my area! I probably have watched the doc. more than the actual movie on the 12 MONKEYS disc, but that's just because I love behind the scenes stuff, and not the HBO sort of features usually on most discs.

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Luc, the end of the documentary states Gilliam has a new investor and was looking to buy the rights to his own film back from the insurance company who hold it. I'd hope it has progressed further since then.
    He got his vision of the teaser trailer done at least (stay for those credits [​IMG] )....
    Dan

20. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I read somewhere that Gilliam will start remaking the movie next year when Johnny Depp is free.

~T