What's new

Terrible Video on Underwater (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just rented this tonight and couldn't get more than 15' into it because the video blooms so much it's unwatchable. I had to google how to request a refund, because Apple doesn't make it easy to do.

Anyone else have a problem with the video on Underwater (this is the recent monster flic)? I rented the 4K but it has Dolby Vision and not HDR and no Atmos. I wonder if the Dolby Vision is the problem?

I'm viewing via an ATV 4K, my Denon UH6500, and an LG 65UH8500 LED. I've never seen a picture this bad on it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BTW, I went over to Vudu and their version has HDR10 and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. Sheesh. I guess this movie didn't come out with an Atmos track.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The blu-ray has DTS HD 7.1

This is a Fox film inherited by Disney, so I'm sure they didn't want to go to any extra expense on the presentation, but the blu-ray looked and sounded good.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I had to google how to request a refund, because Apple doesn't make it easy to do.

Pro tip: Apple actually sends right to you the means to request a refund. There's a link in the e-mailed receipt...

9BE40D8E-A4FE-4708-B01E-A355B81E1F6A.jpeg
Keep in mind though that you can't request a refund until the charge goes through to your card, so it could take a few days.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Pro tip: Apple actually directly sends you the means to request a refund. There's a link in the e-mailed receipt...

View attachment 72431
That must take a little time. I haven't received the mail yet. However, I've been able to get to "Report a Problem" area. Thanks for the info.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I purchased this from iTunes. I thought it looked terrific on my lg oled. No issues at all. Also watched thru ATV 4K. Perhaps your settings? Try restarting your ATV. The rental should still be there.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Can't say. I'm with Malcolm and watched it on Blu-ray and thought it looked and sounded great...as I would expect a new film would.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I purchased this from iTunes. I thought it looked terrific on my lg oled. No issues at all. Also watched thru ATV 4K. Perhaps your settings? Try restarting your ATV. The rental should still be there.
This is the first time I’ve knowingly watched a Dolby Vision movie on iTunes. I can’t even say if I’ve every watched a DV movie on my setup, they are usually HDR.

I just tried it out this morning. I restarted the ATV and results are the same. I looked on my TV settings and it knows it’s getting DV. Could I trouble you for your ATV settings? Maybe there’s an issue there for DV?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is the first time I’ve knowingly watched a Dolby Vision movie on iTunes. I can’t even say if I’ve every watched a DV movie on my setup, they are usually HDR.

I just tried it out this morning. I restarted the ATV and results are the same. I looked on my TV settings and it knows it’s getting DV. Could I trouble you for your ATV settings? Maybe there’s an issue there for DV?

If this is the first time you've watched a DV title, have you adjusted the DV settings on your display? It has a different mode for DV, just like it does for HDR10. Could be that your TV is using the factory defaults, which are usually never good.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If this is the first time you've watched a DV title, have you adjusted the DV settings on your display? It has a different mode for DV, just like it does for HDR10. Could be that your TV is using the factory defaults, which are usually never good.
I did notice that when watching the move, it was in DV mode and now while watching live tv it’s in HDR mode.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I did notice that when watching the move, it was in DV mode and now while watching live tv it’s in HDR mode.

Right, so you'll need to adjust the displays DV mode settings. This could be the cause of the problem you're seeing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Johnny,

One thing, you might want to do is having your video settings on your ATV4K unit like the following:

Format: 4K SDR
HDMI Output: YCbCr
Chroma: 4:4:4
Match Dynamic Range: On
Match Frame Rate: On

What model is your TV?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny,

One thing, you might want to do is having your video settings on your ATV4K unit like the following:

What model is your TV?
It’s an LG 65UH8500

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny,

What model is your TV?
What are your video settings on your ATV4K unit?
I think you had posted the above settings very recently, so I had changed Format from 4K HDR to 4K SDR. So my settings match the above.

If anybody has the movie could they check very near the front, just after the credits, when the camera is descending along a cable. Here is where is blooms very blue. This seems to be a dark scene kinda issue. The scenes of the girl brushing here teeth are fine.

My LG 65UH8500 is in Dolby Vision Movie Dark (user)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The only Dolby Vision mode that works on my LG is Vivid, which I've then adjusted so the brightness and contrast are as they should be and not really 'vivid'. All other modes cause the brightness levels to shift unnaturally shot to shot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only Dolby Vision mode that works on my LG is Vivid, which I've then adjusted so the brightness and contrast are as they should be and not really 'vivid'. All other modes cause the brightness levels to shift unnaturally shot to shot.
What is your LG model?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Then you have to adjust them back to their original settings, I presume. That’s kind of a PITA that I try to avoid. For instance, I just chose not to watch the movie.

BTW, I did get a refund.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Then you have to adjust them back to their original settings, I presume. That’s kind of a PITA that I try to avoid.

No, it only keeps those settings for Dolby Vision content (it's a 75UH8500) - it keeps separate settings for standard 2D non-HDR, then 3D, regular HDR and Dolby Vision, and all of those are also different for each input (the Dolby Vision problem happens with the internal Vudu app also.) I've got everything set the way it should be and never have to change anything. I had a Vizio TV that even had different picture settings for each resolution, including both interlaced and progressive, so I had to adjust for each of those as well when first setting it up or resetting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks