Terrible Teasers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Spindler, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Every time I am presented with Pirates of the Caribbean, I am reminded of the worst function of teaser trailers. They have little or no actual content to present, but have to encourage you that the movie will be good. I think there are a couple of things that I really hate in these kinds of teasers:
    1. Stock footage
    2. Inappropriate music
    3. Zero content from the movie

Some teasers get by with a small skit by actors in the film (much like the Legally Blonde sequel teaser does). Others use the graphics test footage method, where scenes you're pretty sure will never be in the movie are use, such as the (IMO) excellent Godzilla teaser did.

Then there are the type like PotC. Not only is it overlong, but it is bursting at the seams with shoddy stock footage. I feel like I'm watching a cheap travelogue on cable access programmed by my Social Sciences teacher. Then there is the mock exciting and overused trailer music, accompanied by nothing more than very "exciting" cast information. The single included effects shot is more than a little underwhelming.

Consistently the longest minute of my life, every time I see it.

Does anyone have anything similar? Or am I just grasping for things to be unhappy about? [​IMG]

*Edit : Of course I would misspell Caribbean*

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Oh that does sound bad.

I guess all I ask is give us an view of their concept footage. Give us the Hulk eye changing and blasting through a wall. Give us the Little Birds dropping down over "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Just don't give us the trailer equivalent to empty calories - totally without substance.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The teaser for Battle Royale 2 contains exactly 1 element from the movie. A headshot of Shuya [​IMG]

The Hulk teaser was fine, it involved what the Hulk is. I totally agree that trailers should at least have footage

The worst teaser of all time is still Star Wars

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

The type I hate the most has to be the "logo teaser". You know, the kind where it takes a minute and a half just to show the title of the flick. X2 and T3 are recent examples.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a teaser that shows footage that's not from the movie itself. My favorite teaser(and trailer for that matter) of all-time is still the one for T2 where we see the T-800 being constructed.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Everyone should remember the purpose of a teaser, why teasers are called teasers, and also that teasers are often created long before the movie is finished. Now more than ever with all the effects and other things such as music that aren't finished (or at least reach the point of being "good enough") until the last minute, you're not likely to see much content from the movie in a teaser. That's the way it has been for a long long time.

The better teasers are the ones which can put the name of the movie into your head in a memorable way, and it certainly can be done without showing you anything from the unfinished movie. The T2 example is a good one. I also remember Godzilla stomping on the T-Rex skeleton at the museum. And the Scooby Doo teaser which starts off looking like Batman right up until the reveal that the moonlit silouhette with the pointed ears is CGI Scooby and not Batman.

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'm right with you Wayne. If they come up with a reasonably creative way to introduce their character, a teaser is very effective. Scooby is a good example, and T2 is probably one of the best teasers to ever be made.

I guess I just had such a negative reaction to PotC because of the cheap stock footage and poor choice in music. Even Jurassic Park 3 had a shot of running through the jungle that was shot for the film.

8. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Godzilla had not just one but three of the best teasers of all time. 2 used footage that would never be in the film, and the 3rd was half from the movie and half not.

1. Museum with the T-rex
    2. New Year's Eve in Timesquare (tail whacks the ball)
    3. The fisherman. (all movie footage except the last shot with the eye)

I hated the T3 teaser. A logo? Come on. The PotC isn't much better but I kinda liked the text going into the water. Neat little effect. The island as a skull was a given and they did give us the CGI foot in the water. It isn't much but it is something. Of course, this movie is coming out this summer and it is February and we have no footage yet? We need a real trailer soon. I didn't like the JP3 teaser either.

9. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I like teasers that don't show me much of the movie. Then, you aren't groaning during it, saying "They showed the best parts in the teaser." I hate commercials that show you too much. Then, you may as well not go see it. You know the plot, the feel, and most of the big scenes. I'll tell you one of my favorite teasers, though. It was for "The Living Daylights". Why? Because ALL of the shots in the 3 minute or so teaser were from the prologue, before the opening credits. I remember watching it and telling my friend, "All this was in the trailer! What have they left for the movie?"

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

A teaser is supposed to tease you. Give you some vague ideas about the movie, but very little substantial. Putting much footage from the movie in is anethema to this. That's what trailers are for.

11. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I love all these teasers, they hype you up for a movie without spoiling anything. Teasers with some footage from the movie are what trailers should be like when trailers now just tell the whole storyline with best bits.
    Teasers work great when it's a well known franchise, can't beat the excitement of seeing that T3 logo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

T2 IS one of the best teasers ever made

With T3, the only opinions I heard were groans

13. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

T2 was a great teaser trailer. I also loved the 1st Attack of the Clones teaser trailer with just the breathing and then the drums at the end while showing little morsels of footage. Great teaser. Goldmember had a great teaser with the Mini-Austin dance. Now that I think of it, The Spy Who Shagged Me was great as well with the whole Star Wars thing, and at the end Dr. Evil turns around and says "You were expecting someone else?" [​IMG]

Spider-Man probably has the most controversial teaser trailer. One that I hope will be released on DVD one day. That teaser was one of the best ever.

T3 teaser trailer.... [​IMG]

-Dean-

14. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I thought the t3 teaser was great. It got great audience reaction when I saw it. I think the reason many here don't like it is they know its likely the final product will suck.

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I loathed the Goldmember teaser, and so did just about every single person who was in the theater with me for (too many) showings of LOTR:FOTR that it preceded. Never once did it produce a single laugh, chuckle, titter or guffaw. It was met, every time, by stony silence. IMHO, a disaster of a teaser.

16. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

17. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

The Hulk teaser has been my favorite, I guess because it caught me off-guard. I was wondering what kind of crazy movie this was were a guy was just staring at himself in the mirror and talking about being crazy, pretty lame looking movie I thought. Then the eye turned green, the house exploded, and that was it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Very effective shock value.

Chris