What's new

Terrel Owens and a sharpie? (1 Viewer)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
First of all, Barry Sanders is crazy.
You can't be serious. Barry simply acted like he'd been in the endzone before, and he would get there again. It was his job, which he was paid a lot of money to do. All he did was accomplish what he set out to do. Old school players were the same way for the most part. If his teammates needed him to do some stupid dance to get pumped up, then they have no right being out on the field on the first place.

"Business as usual" was his motto and I have GREAT respect for the man because of this attitude.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
If his teammates needed him to do some stupid dance to get pumped up, then they have no right being out on the field on the first place.
You have got to be kidding. Emotion is a huge part of sports. Why is it so wrong to celebrate? So what if people like Barry did not do so. People are different. Period. Sure, there should be limits on what should be done, but I fail to see how signing a ball and giving it to a friend is so damn bad.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
But since he did something new, people have decided to make a big deal. What's the difference???
There's a difference between celebrating with your teammates and taunting your opponents. I would consider Owens actions in Dallas taunting -- especially when he did it twice. I must not be alone in thinking it was unacceptable, since his team (not the NFL) suspended him for a game because of his actions.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem with TO for one reason: Unlike another certain ridiculed, childish receiver with ungodly talent, he plays hard every down, whether the ball is coming to him or not. It's obvious from the guy's physique that he works very hard at this, and you can't say that he hasn't earned the right to be a little cocky, maybe not as cocky as he is, but it's not like he's on the Bengals celebrating a TD in the fourth quarter when they're down 41-7. In other words, he backs it up on the field.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Unlike another certain ridiculed, childish receiver with ungodly talent, he plays hard every down, whether the ball is coming to him or not.
I do agree with this statement. Unlike Randy Moss, Owens does seem to give a full effort all the time.

As for the Sharpie incident, I don't think it was that big a deal, either. I used the Dallas incident as an example of Owens childish behavior (and it was 100 times worse). However, I doubt you would have seen someone with more class do the same thing. Why not just autograph the damn ball after the game? Why make such a spectacle? Anyone want to wager on how much this controversial football is now worth as a collectible?

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Terrel Owen's motivation to get into the endzone should be to help his team win. Instead, his premeditated actions made it clear that scoring is all about "T.O." The sad part about this is that he is oblivious to the fact that he is talented enough to allow his actions on the field to speak for themselves.

Save the "pumping up the reeboks", "putting the blindfold on" and "pulling the sharpie out of your socks" for the all-star game or for your opening act with Ziegfried and Roy.

haha, sympathy for dallas is running low considering what a bunch of criminals they were/are, owned by the biggest crook of them all. you've got coked up leon lett and michael irvin running around as examples of their finest players, mongoloid deion sanders dressed up in a suit that looks like it was borrowed from the Joker babbling in barely understandable english on CBS and you're worried about some silly star?
Hey, Josh, easy there pal. As others have pointed out, take a look around the league and you will find other high profile athletes accused/charged/convicted of many things far worse, ie Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth, Mark Chmura.

Say what you want about Irvin (he has done a lot to turn his life around) but he owns three rings - something Owens can only hope for and will never acheive.

Deion Sanders is probably one of the best cornerbacks to ever play the game. The fact that you have to demean his dress, insult his appearance (?mongoloid) and speech probably means you don't have much to criticize him for except for his association with the Dallas Cowboys. Which by the way was only for five of his twelve years in the league (Atlanta, San Fran and Washington).

I'd like to think in addition to the above mentioned players that Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith are also running around as examples of the Cowboys finest players.

Ray

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
As long as he gets me that many points each week in the fantasy football league, he can sing "Hot Pants" after each TD for all I care. :D

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
it's FUN..... leave it be....

the fan asked for the ball and he gave it to him

and a LOT of receivers are DEMANDING the ball these days.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Deion Sanders is probably one of the best cornerbacks to ever play the game.
I know I'm getting off-track, but I couldn't let this comment go. Deion was a one-dimensional cornerback -- he never tackled anyone in his career. Heck, he never even went into the defensive huddle, because the guy never played run support or blitzed. The offense always knew where he would be and could account for him. Give me a cornerback like Charles or Rod Woodson (before he switched to safety). Those guys are complete players.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Josh, I'm as big a Cowboys-hater as the next guy, but Owens actions in that game were disgraceful and classless. Could you imagine Jerry Rice doing such a thing?
I have massive amounts of respect from Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice, especially Barry. I wish more players would follow his example. But I don't see what was disgraceful about what TO did. When I think "disgraceful" I think unnecessarily violence (like the crap Denver was pulling on Miami after the Dolphins kicked the winning field goal), bad officiating, etc.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my beef. To pull a PEN out of his sock! A PEN! It is not part of his normal uniform for the game. Dunk the ball over the goalpost, girate and dance, well it does get old-but those guys aren't bringing things onto the field which should not be there. But to take a pen out of the sock and sign the ball and toss it into the stands to a financial advisor! Come on.

I still would be ticked if he gave the ball to a kid in a wheelchair. I wholeheartedly agree that the move seems to be all about TO. Sign the damn ball after the game.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I'd like to think in addition to the above mentioned players that Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith are also running around as examples of the Cowboys finest players.
Great, and for every two decent guys there's an Erik Williams, a Michael Irvin, a Deion Sanders, a Larry Allen and more.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
still would be ticked if he gave the ball to a kid in a wheelchair. I wholeheartedly agree that the move seems to be all about TO. Sign the damn ball after the game.
I still don't think it was bad. It's not like he ran to the center of the field (or even the center of the endzone) and signed the ball there. He didn't sign it right in front of the d-back nor did he sign the ball and wave it to the crowd. He stood over on the sideline, signed the ball, and handed it to his friend. Big deal.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Terrel Owens: quite possibly the most insecure human being on the planet. Quite possibly the most talented WR in football as well.

I feel bad for pro football coaches who have no choice but to let their ego get stomped on by players like this, because they need them to win.

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Again, does performance on the field somehow justify criminal, thuggish behavior?
Absolutely not! But please give me an example of Deion Sander's criminal behavior. It is well known that he neither drinks or uses illicit drugs.
Josh, I don't particularly like the arrogance displayed on the field by any of the aforementioned players (Owens, Irvin, Sanders) and I certainly don't condone any criminal behavior but your earlier reply seemed like an opportunity to launch a personal vendetta against one team than a relevant commentary on TOs behavior on Monday.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I don't much like the overdone celebrations. I much prefer the Barry Sanders approach. However, I try to be open-minded enough to accept things like when Deion was getting in touch with his feminine side whilst mincing into the endzone.

The "star" episode was a very bad choice on Owens' part (OK, I'm a Cowboys hater, and I did laugh the first time I saw it) but this most recent autograph incident is just no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Get your story straight before you post wrong information. A police officer was charged with paying money for the murder of Michael Irvin...not the other way around.
I'm referring when Irvin tried to stab a man in the jugular vein with a pair of scissors.

Please take a little of your own advice, or brush up on your telepathy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks