What's new

Terrel Owens and a sharpie? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How arrogant can you be to be playing on Monday Night Football, and sticking a sharpie in your sock so that you can sign a football after scoring a touchdown, and giving the football to a fan in the stands? Just when you thought you saw everything...

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
football = entertainment

as long as he's having fun, who cares. I don't see anything wrong with it

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I couldn't believe it myself.
Evidently he had a business partner/friend in the stands right there and before the game started the friend asked that if Owens scored a touchdown he wanted the ball.
Owens said something like, I'll keep a marker in my sock.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I can't really argue about his talent but like a growing number of professional athletes these days he's truly an arrogant ass sometimes.
Jeers to the sharpie in the sock.:thumbsdown:
Brian

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Owens already has proven himself to be a jerk from his actions in that game against Dallas a couple of years ago, as well as all the whining he does to Mariucci. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I heard on ESPN radio this morning that the guy he handed the ball to is his personal financial advisor. But here is the catch. That same guy is also the financial advisor to Shawn Springs, the cornerback he beat on the play and who was sitting in Shawn Springs personal on-field box seats.

Imagine that, inviting your financial advisor to the game to sit in your personal box (that you paid 85 grand to get) and watching somebody from the other team show you up and then publicly mock you.

Just another Terrell Owens lack of class move. I agree it was funny, but it was just like the Dallas Star incident...another gutless move by TO.

Another thing that gripes me is that earlier in the game the replays show him totally bitching at Garcia for failing to get him the ball. On the next drive Garcia hits him right in the hands and because he lacks consistent concentration, he flat out dropped it. Does Garcia go running up to him all screaming and yelling because he messed up? Of course not. Because he's a professional. T.O. is a baby, a child.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Oh please. :rolleyes:I thought it was hilarious. He gave the ball to a friend, who cares? I'd appreciate it if I was his friend or if I was a fan in the stands and he gave me the ball. I'll agree that he has a bad attitude at times, but this is utterly harmless.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
Owens and Springs are friends that had been talking crap to each other all week in a joking way. Springs said himself that he would have done the same thing. Part of competing is to make your opponent look bad. It's all in fun. Have any of you guys that think this is wrong ever played sports? I have played sports against my best friends, and I love getting under their skin. When the game is over, your still friends. Read ESPN's full story and decide for yourself.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I tend to side with the type of player like Barry Sanders, who whenever he would score would simply take a knee and hand the ball to the official. He never tried to belittle his opponent or show a lack of respect.

Have any of you guys that think this is wrong ever played sports?
Yes, actually I have...both recreationally and intercollegiately on the division 1 level. I don't see why this has anything to do with what I feel is a lack of class and sportsmanship.

Not denying that I didn't think it was comical and an original idea, but that still doesn't change my opinion as to whether he should have done it or not.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Owens already has proven himself to be a jerk from his actions in that game against Dallas a couple of years ago, as well as all the whining he does to Mariucci. This doesn't surprise me at all.
haha, sympathy for dallas is running low considering what a bunch of criminals they were/are, owned by the biggest crook of them all. you've got coked up leon lett and michael irvin running around as examples of their finest players, mongoloid deion sanders dressed up in a suit that looks like it was borrowed from the Joker babbling in barely understandable english on CBS and you're worried about some silly star?

as far as whining to mariucci.. is it really whining when he's right?

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
So your saying that if you play pro sports, your not allowed to have a sense of humor with your friend that plays on another team. I think it makes a difference if you know the person or not. Maybe I'm crazy because I don't hate people because their different or do different things then I do.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
I thought it was hilarious. I couldn't believe what we were watching, we kept rewinding it (love that Tivo!)

I don't see the harm, he wasn't dissing anyone on the other team, where does that come from?

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The only difference between that Dallas team and any other NFL club was that the problems in Dallas were so well publicized. At any given time in the NFL, there are players that are suspended, suspected, or investigated for the use of illegal drugs and/or deviant behavior (see: Randy Moss, Ray Buchannon, and a host of others).

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think the whole celebrating "controversy" is rooted in the differences between races. Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Tribune recently wrote that it basically comes down to this:

"The white rule is one of understatement and modesty: Only make those moves that are actually necessary to get the job done," said Thomas Kochman, a diversity-training expert and the author of "Black and White Styles in Conflict." He is white. "Blacks say, 'So long as I make the moves to get the job done, let me do my extra thing. That extra thing is about me and my individuality.' It's a matter of right and left, not right and wrong."

It's an interesting thought. Personally, I get a kick out of some of the celebrations, yet other times I cringe. I once saw a football player knock another guy out cold, and he was actually counting him out as if it were a boxing match. Those types of taunts have no place in pro sports (except pro wrestling, perhaps).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Josh, I'm as big a Cowboys-hater as the next guy, but Owens actions in that game were disgraceful and classless. Could you imagine Jerry Rice doing such a thing?
as far as whining to mariucci.. is it really whining when he's right?
Whining about not running up the score against Washington when Mariucci was concerned about winning the game was right? Whining about not getting enough passes thrown to him when the team is winning is right? Owens needs to learn that football is a team sport. TO is not the only player with this attitude, but he's certainly one of the highest profile ones.
Brian, I don't buy that celebration theory. Barry Sanders never felt the need to gyrate when he reached the end zone. Jerry Rice doesn't act like an ass when he scores. Walter Payton played the game with total class. Meanwhile, Mark Gastineau wanted the entire world to know whenever he sacked the QB.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Barry Sanders never felt the need to gyrate when he reached the end zone. Jerry Rice doesn't act like an ass when he scores. Walter Payton played the game with total class. Meanwhile, Mark Gastineau wanted the entire world to know whenever he sacked the QB.
Agreed, the black vs. white thing is over-generalizing just a wee bit.

(sarcasm on)Well since black people can dance much better, it is only natural that they celebrate much more enthusiastically during athletic events!

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, Barry Sanders is crazy. I don't see anyone ever complaining about hockey or basketball players celebrating when they score. Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky did their share of celebrating, in their own way. You can't play the greatest game in the world and show no emotion (that's one of the reasons Barry Sanders is crazy). That would be stupid. I have an idea, how about every football player act one certain way and no other. No celebrating, no pumping your team up, nothing. And while were at it, lets stop fighting in Hockey because its just not being a nice, white collar, middle income American.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks