Termites!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LDfan, Jun 13, 2003.

1. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

My townhouse has termites thanks to my next door neighbor. Orkin wants $1400 to extermite them with a variety of their methods. I'm having Terminix come out tomorrow for an estimate.
    Has anyone ever had termites before and what method of extermination was used, Baiting or Liquid. I've been reading up on both and there seems to be pro's and con's to both.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

We caught a termite infestation last February. The exterminator said it wasn't bad and used a spray inside the walls and 15 gallons of liquid along the entire exterior wall. It only cost me $350. Ask around and find someone local. Orkin and Terminix are going to charge you a fortune and could do more work than necessary. Also check with your local BBB to make sure there are no complaints against the exterminators AND make sure they are licensed exterminators (assuming VA licenses them).

3. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I just saw a show about this kind of thing. The method used to exterminate them depends on the variety. The airborne variety have smaller colonies, eat slower, and tend to stay in one spot. If this is the type you have and the infestation is not too bad, you can get by with spot treatment. The show demonstrated several methods of treatment, including electrocution using what looked like a high tech cattle prod, cooking the little bastards with microwaves, extermination through heat, and, of course, chemical warfare. The heat method looked interesting. They said if you can get the temperature above 130F and hold it there for 20 minutes it will kill all the termites.

The ground dwelling variety are harder to deal with because they can have huge colonies in the ground ready to come back in the house as soon as the fumes from the tenting clear. Baiting appears to be the preferred method with ground dwellers. They use some kind of hormone treatment that causes the queen to become infertile. The colony dies out rather quickly without new replacement workers.