Terminology for DVD Cases?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

OK, call me stupid, but I'm now getting mixed up about DVD cases. Amaray? Snapper? etc. Does someone have a list of names and aliases?
    Also, it seems to me cases are different sized in different parts of the world. Inserts from movies from the other side of the globe don't fit in our North American cases. How many different sizes are there and can you buy them locally?
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

2. YANG

YANG Second Unit

The most common cases that you see from R1 releases are:
    1.ALPHA KEEPCASE- which is now not so popular as before.FOX's first batch of DVDs uses ALPHA KEEPCASES,which is very good in holding discs securly.But the negative part is that discs is not easily removable as what AMARY KEEPCASE offers.The disc removal from ALPHA KEEPCASE have to be done carefully by pressing one of the hook so that you can lift the disc from one side. REPLACABLE
    2.DUAL ALPHAS- the favorite case of dual discs releases.DVD releases from FOX,DISNEY and PARAMOUNT uses this design.But it's a pity that now FOX had turn their attention to the SLIM DAUL AMARAY. REPLACABLE BUT HARD TO FIND
    3.AMARAY KEEPCASE- Lots of PARAMOUNT DVDs(almost 99%) were released with this case.The good point about this case is its easy removal of discs.The bad point is,the jaws does not really hold the discs securly,especially when studios includes certain thickness booklets that may push the jaw to release the disc very easily that during shipping period,the discs may dropped off from the jaws. REPLACABLE
    4.SLIM DUAL AMARAY- Current favorite of numbers of studios except DISNEY(Only one title of their release,MUSIC OF THE HEART,gets this case) and PARAMOUNT.Its slim design may attract you,very creative,but not really so good that this case will get very high points.(from me!!!)The three jaw holder holds the discs so tightly that there are lots of discs got spoilt during its first introduction.The first case(which i had experienced) happens to GLADIATOR. NOT 100% REPLACABLE AS REPLACMENT KEEPCASE SOLD IN VARIOUS STORES DO NOT HAVE THE SLIM THREE JAW HOLDER,I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE YET!
    5.SNAP CASE- WARNER and its subsidaries favorite.Terribly slim compared to other keepcases,nightmares to most collectors.There is not protection to the artwork,or the cardboard covers.Latest releases which comes with dreadful "SECURITY DEVICE PROTECTION" labels,will most possibly get its covers destroyed by the security labels.As there is no plastic sheets covering the artworks,there will be no waterproofing. WORST OF ALL,IF YOUR KEEPCASE AND COVERS IS SPOILT, THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT AVAILABLE!!!!!
    6.MULTI DISCS CARDBOARD CASE- Used by FOX on their FIGHT CLUB,TITUS,WALKING WITH DINOSAURS,X-MEN...CTHV on their CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND,NEWLINE on their SEVEN S.E,PARAMOUNT on their GODFATHER TRILOGY COLLECTION,and other more...Looks very attractive to collectors,as the artworks are most printed impressively.The disc holders will hold the discs very tightly,that you must not just pull the disc from the holder just like that. NIGHTMARES TO COLLECTORS AS IT REQUIRES TENDER CARES TO AVOID WEAR AND TEAR,NOT REPLACEABLE!

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Thanks for the very complete message! I didn't know what an Alpha case was.
    I also have a dual Amaray, except that it's sort of just like having the two halves of the DVD-holding portion of the Amaray facing each other. Works well, except that the booklet falls out when you open the case, because nothing is holding it there. (Those hooks normally there are EDIT NOT /EDIT in this case, because a DVD is held there.)
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 23, 2001 at 04:47 PM]

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

5. Han

Han Second Unit

Three-Pronged Amaray and AOL style. That's the good stuff... Well, those are my favorites.[​IMG]
    Jeremy, that site seems to only have pictures for the "buttons" inside the DVD case.
    What I'm wondering is, what's the type of case that Media Asia / Tai Seng uses where it looks like a book?

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

There's also the dreaded Scanavo case, where the instructions say to press here, but doing so only causes the many nasty little teeth to hold the disc harder. These often show up in anime releases, but have cropped up in a variety of other types.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

7. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Wonderful objective/unbiased reporting on the snappers there huh, YANG? [​IMG]

8. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

9. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    People have overlooked some of the early DVD cases.
    The very first DVD's (mostly imports) came out in clear Jewel Cases much like music CD's (and some music DVD's) come in.
    Polygram came up with a clear Jewel-type case which has the same height and width as today's cases but was closed in and had a slide out tray. you folded down the flap of the tray to remove the disc. Some people call these the "scratcher" cases.
    I believe the clear "thin" case is also still around, made of the same jewel case materials and hinged the same way.

10. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Tom, YANG harps on this an average of once every 2 months. I'm just being his fly in his ointment. [​IMG]
    Besides, all Eugene asked for was an explanation of what they were. I'm sure he's more than capable of making up his own mind as to what he likes and doesn't.
    Warner said at the chat that they have no plans to scrap them...so (respectfully) pick up the pieces of your shattered existence and move on with life. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Trace Downing on October 25, 2001 at 09:51 AM]

11. Abraham

Abraham Auditioning

My only problem with the so called "keep-case", is that the outer plastic sleeve on some can wrinkle badly in time. Why some do and some don't is a mystery to me?

12. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

13. YANG

YANG Second Unit

ABRAHAM,
    If you had encountered any wrinkle on the plastic film,that is probably caused by poor sealing job of the retailers.If you stored your discs properly,the wrinkle will not happen in your storage area.If you find that the wrinkle is too disturbing for you,you can go and get the case replaced for a new one which is widely available.This is a major plus point for keepcases.
    SNAPPERS...do you think you can replace any damaged parts easily?

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

It's interesting to me that nearly 100% of videophiles despise snappers with every pixel of their beings.....But let's roll the clock back several years, when people were still collecting VHS tapes. Was a there a huge outcry of protests then about the poor quality of the flimsy VHS cardboard sleeves in which 99.741% of all VHS releases were packaged? No. Everyone just accepted the cardboard. A snapper case, in fact, is much heavier and sturdier than any VHS sleeve I've ever seen.
    Give snappers an even break! In some ways, snappers are even better than Amarays. Because the hub is excellent on the WB snap cases! Even better than Amaray I think. The snap hub always allows for easy, smooth disc removal; whereas, an Amaray can give the user some problems once in a while.
    Stick to your guns, Warner! Your snappers are OK! Excellent hub, and with the extra fold-out panels on some, there's MUCH more information imparted on these cases than can be placed on any keepcase slick.
    The most impressive snapper I have is Kino On Video's The Old Dark House. It's got a nice high-gloss look to it, with a laminated coating to protect the cardboard. There's also lots of info on the triple-paneled fold-out cover. Very nice job, Kino!
    See, these dreaded snap-beasts really aren't so bad after all .... Are they?? [​IMG]

15. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Here is another snapper supporter.
    Have you ever received a floater in a snapper? I haven't, but I've received floaters in most other kinds of packaging...
    Also, no disc has ever been hard to remove from a snapper, but again, many other forms of packaging cling to the disc so hard it is almost impossible to get it out. It's really amazing how they still can turn out floaters, my guess is they somehow sense when a human is trying to remove a disc and hold on to it, but the moment they are slipped inside an envelope, they release the disc [​IMG]
    Also, Amarays and other keep-cases look too much like VHS packaging, IMHO, while the snapper is like the Cd digipak, which looks and feels classy. All IMHO, of course.

16. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Quote: "NIGHTMARES TO COLLECTORS AS IT REQUIRES TENDER CARES TO AVOID WEAR AND TEAR,NOT REPLACEABLE!"
    ---
    Nightmare, eh...?
    [​IMG]
    I myself as a collector don't neccessarily see it as such a bad thing if I'll have to "take care" of my collectibles...

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

18. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

If I could only find replacements for the two snappers that have broken hubs I would be happy. Strange that they happen to be "The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile" Calling Stephen King!

19. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Am I the only one who's simply moved all his DVDs to standard jewel cases? Disc one of my Phantom Menace set has slowly cracked over time, even though I've handled it as carefully as my other discs. The disc holder is just awful (I have the region 4 release, which came in different casing than the R1 discs). I've also noticed several discs I've rented have cracked inner edges thanks to either faulty cases or simply careless handling. One copy of The Matrix at this one store actually had a small splinter of the disc missing. To prevent damage to my discs, either through my own clumsiness or overzealous packaging, I've put them in CD jewel cases, which has the added bonus of making storage just a tad easier. I've even made CD-sized sleeves for them, to keep the collection looking spiffy.