Terminator Special Edition distortion survey.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James R. Geib, Dec 25, 2002.

1. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

My wife made this a DVD Christmas for me, and I opened them this morning as she basks in the sun in Brasil. One of the movies happens to be Terminator S.E., and I started watching a little bit of it this morning.

31 minutes and 32 seconds into the film, Sarah's roommate screams just before the Terminator is about to terminate her, and with that scream on my system there is an incredible amount of distortion through my center speaker.

This isn't the only movie I own where I have heard dialog distortion from the center channel (A Paradigm Studio CC driven by an Anthem AVM20 and Anthem MCA50, so it should not be distorting! I'm talking -25db volume settings!).

I know it's a little work for everyone, but has anyone else experienced this, or would anyone mind verifying this on their own systems.

Thanks for your help, and happy holidays from South Carolina..........

2. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I'm watching this very DVD as I type this!

I cannot confirm your distortion problem. I have a Deftech C/L/R 2500 connected to a B&K AVR-307 digesting output from a Panny RP-56. I ran it through a few times to check and got nothing except that it seems the scream was not well-recorded.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I agree with Jason. There is some distortion present, but it seems like it just isn't well recorded. So I don't think it's your equipment. I used the DD 5.1 on the DVD, and the mono on the LD, and I hear what you could describe as distortion on both of them. What you have to remember is that the first terminator was done on a low budget and the soundtrack was mono.

4. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

All I can say about this issue is get used to it. I've found that the more revealing my equipment becomes as I upgrade, the more apparent this distortion issue is. I'm also using an AVM 20 (paired with a Rotel RMB-1075/RB-1050 and M&K THX Ultra speakers), and I now hear distortion on many discs that I previously thought were nearly perfect. Oddly, some distortion that was unbearable on my old Onkyo 797 has cleared up somewhat as well; chalk that up to a better DD/DTS decoder and superior DACs in the AVM 20 I guess.

I think distortion goes hand in hand with overly processed audio such as Dolby Digital and DTS. I believe it was Jack Briggs who once said that movie soundtracks are more processed than Velveeta cheese.

5. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all of your replies! I'll chalk it up a poorly recorded scream!