Terminator: SE. I got it early here is a mini-review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Peake, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

The video is very good, considering it was a low-budget movie. It doesnt stand up to today's "reference" dvd's, but it is as close to perfect as you can get with lower quality source material. Terminator looks as good as it ever has in this transfer. (Note, my video equipment is low quality...a 31" panasonic TV hooked up to a Sony 500D DVD player via s-video.).
    The audio is pretty well done. I found some scenes that really crackled my speakers. The scene where Reese time-warps in, and is struggling with the bum, the bum yells something that just sounds awful. I thought the overall sound quality was slighty muted, not the best dynamic range, but again considering the history of this film, it is very well done. (my audio setup: paradigm studio 20's, studio center, SVS 20-39CS (x2), Parasound 1201a mono amps and a yamaha receiver as pre-amp.)
    I havent got to the extra's yet, will update this review when I do.
    One strange thing, the disc is dual-sided....but one side is dual-layered, and the other is single layered. I have never seen this before in any DVD....is it a first???
    I would have much prefered a 2-disc set. Buy hey, its MGM, so you gotta figure on some disappointments.
    Overall, a super DVD. MGM came very close to getting it perfect.
    Jeff Peake

2. John GB

John GB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the review. I ordered mine a while back and haven't given it a second thought.
    Now I am looking foreword to receiving it and giving it a spin.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Sounds intresting, like everyone else, I have been looking forward to the disc.
    I do have to disagree with you on the "I wish it was a two disc set". I wish more of these special titles came out in the DVD-18 format. It might just be my techie/gadget back ground, but the engineering and design behind a dual layer, double sided disc is cool. I don't equate 2 disc = more.
    Now that being said, if you have a multi disc player, the two disc system is nice, as there is no flips etc.
    ------------------

4. Jeff Peake

Lance:
    I agree the science behind dual layer, dual sided discs is interesting, I just like cool disc art! Give me single sided discs with great art over dual-sided any day :)
    Jeff

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Hmm, maybe to satisfied all the single disc user who like art work we need to design a way to put a holographic layer on the discs, so when you hold it right a neat hologram appears, sort of like a Visa card, or Canadian bills. (The new 10 is cool, the hologram is woven INTO the bill not as a separate piece, but an integral part of a scene, very cool).
    Then again, the hologram could be a nasty bit of ECC to work out...
    ------------------
    "Indiana... Indiana.... Let it go."
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...p?alias=LanceN

6. Jeff Peake

I just finished watching both documentaries, and they are both pretty good. The 2nd one, which is more recent, really shows alot of the technical details that went into the special effects. And there are plenty of amusing anecdotes about the production of the film.
    A great disc indeed.
    Jeff

7. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

The only disappointing aspect is no Arnold (or Cameron) commentary. But, I have more Arnold commentaries on other DVDs than I have had time to listen to! Although it would have been interesting to hear his thoughts about this film so early in his career...
    [Edited last by Ken Stuart on September 22, 2001 at 11:01 PM]