What's new

Terminator On R2 (1 Viewer)

The region 2 release of TERMINATOR is due out next week and the 2Disc special edition looks very impressive.
My question is will this release have anything cut out of the film in comparison to the R1 release and when the special edition R1 version of TERMINATOR is released will it have any other special features not included in the R2 release ?
------------------
20 till 100

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
I received the French R2 version a couple of weeks ago, and from all that I've read that version does not have any cuts. I've watched it but certainly don't consider myself a Terminator "expert" and probably wouldn't notice minor cuts. What I DID notice, however, is a great picture and sound that you won't believe! I had the Reg. 1 mono version...what a difference the 5.1 mix makes...elevates the movie to a whole new level!
Haven't checked out the issue of extras between Reg. 1 vs. Reg. 2...I'm not that into the extras as I can hardly keep up with watching each week's new releases :)

John DrakeLaw

Stunt Coordinator
Just to go along with Thane's comments. Just watched the R4 version, what a sound track! The scenes set in the future are like the T3D shows, all channels very active, superb laser fire sound. Again don't remember the original well enough to know if stuff added. Certainly didn't remember the scene with the punks at the beginning or such long scenes of the future. It's been brought right up to the standard of a modern high budget film. Hard to believe it's getting on for twenty years old. Haven't explored any of the second disc yet. John

Justin B

Agent
I just picked up the R4 today, will watch it tonite.
I believe (and I hope) that the only additional extra the R1 will get is the inclusion of the original mono soundtrack. If that's the case I won't be bothered, but if R1 gets a commentary...
frown.gif

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I got my R2 Benelux version 3 weeks ago and it is not cut. I don't think there will be any censored versions in any country even the German release is uncut.

Simon_W

Auditioning
The R2 version is excellent, dont worry about the 15 cert on front its uncut (strangly the VHS version of SE due same day is rated 18).5.1 mix is excellent esp as it was mono originally. The only minor quibbles are the normal MGM subtitling issues & the slight change in gun sound fx (esp when arnie kills 1st "sarah').

Gary Smith

Auditioning
If you take a look at the BBFC's web site (www.bbfc.co.uk) it states that Terminator was classified on 30th November 2000 with no cuts. Doesn't mean it's the same as the R1 version, though.
There's also a piece entitled "The Terminator - deleted scenes", which was also passed without cuts. Could they be in the R2 release - the run time is around 107 minutes, longer than the BBFC run time of 102m 46s?
Oddly, the version classified in 1987 is a certificate 18 (against a 15 for the more recent version) and the running time is 18 seconds less.
Ryan.
£23.99 seems a bit steep. If you don't mind buying on-line, take a look at Link Removed It's there for £17.99.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the R4 disc yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised by the picture and sound quality. Since this is MGM we're talking about here I was afraid it would look like Escape from NY. But it looks great except for some occasional grain. And the sound: wow! The future war scenes are so bassy that I thought the pictures might come off the walls and there are split surround effects all over the place. They did change some fx, though which will probably bother a number of people. It didn't bother me but I'm not that familiar with the film anyway which means that I wasn't used to the original fx. They should really start and include the original mix everytime they remix a soundtrack.
I liked the extras quite a bit as well. The 18min. making of is more of an interview really but then the 56min. interviews section really made up for that. There was quite a lot of insight here. Also I didn't know the "terminated scenes" yet and I was surprised with two of them.
I definitely recommend this disc set.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

David Sams

Auditioning
Just to echo some of the comments above...
I watched my R4 copy last night and wow! what a disc. Great anamorphic transfer and the sound mix is superb. I'm not a big fan of remixes but I thought this one was really good.
I had never heard anything about the deleted scenes before and without giving any of them away 2 involve subplots...again great stuff.
Just to clear up what has been asked, the film has not been cut in the UK, it originally had an 18 cert but was recertified recently to a reduced 15.
One last point, if you live in the UK, import a R4 copy like myself and save yourself anything up to £10!!
David

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
So then there is no difference between the R2 and R4 discs. The R2 disc that I saw in shops yesterday had a load of extras. I may be able to get it for £19.99.

Gary -
Could the 107 minute runtime - I presume you mean the R1 version's stated time - be due to the shorter runtime =4% - of a PAL disc? due to its frame rate of 25fps instead of R1's 30fps?
------------------

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'll echo the sentiments regarding picture quality: very good; but I thought the re-mixed soundtrack was terrible: too much bass, and some totally OTT use of the surround channels.
A mono re-mix should be fairly subtle IMO, and attempt to enhance the original without altering its character out of all recognition (eg. Jaws and The Hidden). The Terminator reminded me of the worst 'ping-pong' 5.1 re-mixes that attempt to wow listeners with sounds bouncing around the soundstage and huge amounts of unnecessary bass.
If I had the choice, I would stick with the original mono, but unfortunately it isn't included on the disc.
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks