What's new

Terminator II DVD question and problem (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I noticed while wathcing the "extended special edition" the other night that at the scene when Arnold, the boy, and Hamilton go to the desert to get the artillary from the Spanish guy (sorry, I forgot the names here) there is a point in the scene where the movie is on the brink of pixelating and slows down.
This version of T2 is the DVD-18 or flipper (extras on back side). Were there problems with this disc? I know there is a two disc set.
My DVD player is a Panny RV-80 and I have never had a problem with any other movie on it before.
Would getting a new T2 be the solution here, most likely and would Artisan replace it? I bought it some time ago. I was wondering if I wrote them a letter if they would help.
Thanks,

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I personally own the two disc edition but I haven't heard of problems like that with the DVD-18. If the store will not exchange it you will probably just have to contact Artisan. I don't know what the chances are that they will exchange it since I didn't have to deal with them yet.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Most likely it is a dirty disc. Even if you cant see the dirt, try cleaning it and running that scene again.
Run some hot water over the surface and wipe it with a soft towel.
Cleaning a disc that pixelates has never failed me, other than discs that were really scratched (rentals), cleaning has always fixed any pixellation problems.
Jeff Peake

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
You're a genius. :)
I took a paper towel and dampened it with warm water, wiping the disc clean. There was, in fact, some dust particles on the disk.
The scene I was complaining about works perfectly now.
By the way, after cleaning the disc I was wondering if running water over it first would be better, as you recommended. Wiping it as I did with a damnped cloth (on dirty surface) MAY increase the odds of scratching it. Running water on the disc first risks no chance of damage, right?
Thanks for the advice - avoids hassle for me.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
. . .Enrique.
crazy.gif

-mwb-

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Dave:
I always run really hot water over the surface, this gets dirt and oil cleaned off without wiping at all. Plus, since it is really hot, the water evaporates immediatley, leaving the disc nearly dry. You just need to wipe off the remaining water with a soft towel.
Avoid using paper towels or napkins, as they tend to scratch. A soft dish towel works best.
Jeff

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Uh, I don't know that I would recommend running "really hot water" over a DVD. I would be concerned how the heat would affect the glue layers. You've been lucky so far, but I would stick to warm water from now on.

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
I use warm water and a hair dryer (on a low setting) held about 30cm away from the disc. Not sure about the glue on dual layer discs, but i gather this is pretty strong stuff, it would take a lot of heat to have any effect on it. Anyway non of my discs have been messed up.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just buy a cheap CD-cleaning kit. Works like a charm, and lasts for about a year or more for less than five bucks. And I have well over 1500 CD's, CD-ROM's, Video Game CD's, and DVD's to take care of!!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And IF you must wipe it, always wipe in radial movements, NEVER circular.
(A circular scratch would more readily disable the error correction code)
Cees

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm very surprised by the advice given in this thread, I personally would never run a dvd under hot water, and I certaintly wouldn't use a hair dryer as a dry cloth dries a damp disc pretty quickly. In short, I can't think of any circumstance where it would even be necessary to do such a thing.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I'm very surprised by the advice given in this thread, I personally would never run a dvd under hot water, and I certaintly wouldn't use a hair dryer as a dry cloth dries a damp disc pretty quickly. In short, I can't think of any circumstance where it would even be necessary to do such a thing.
Have you ever rented DVD's? It seems most people dont treat the discs very well. They usually are covered in dirt, fingerprints and scratches. Hot water works really well to clean a dirty disc, as it removes the need to wipe them clean....just run 'em under the sink and carefully pat them dry with a dish towel, works like a charm.
I dont have any reservations about doing this with my personal DVD's also...but I keep them very clean so it usually isnt neccesary. I dont know the specs on the glue used in between the layers, but I assumed that the people who designed these things wouldnt choose something that came apart in 100-150 degree F. water.
Jeff Peake

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks