1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Terminator Genisys

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SamT, Dec 3, 2014.

1. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Nice a....poster.

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Alternate timeline looks like a lot of fun.

I'm there - big tub of cheese and all.

Brett_M and Tim Glover like this.
  3. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    Ah, so the "Classic franchise reboot" trend, at the end of a long sequel string, has now been replaced by the "Abrams Star Trek trend":
    "We went back in time, so we negate your past-movie reality and can do what we darn well please...Now we can do the nostalgic first-movie reboot, and Sarah can still be tough!" :rolleyes:

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yep and Star Trek 2009 was a lot of fun. I'm hoping for the same with this one.

Brett_M, Neil Middlemiss and TravisR like this.
  5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Ugh. Maybe I need to see a therapist, because I haven't been excited by ANY of the "big teasers" this year. It all just feels like more of the same ol', same ol'.

6. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    It looks ok but Im intrigued largely because of the director who did some good Game of Thrones stuff and I thought his Thor film came out pretty well, and if done right, it does have potential. But then I liked Back to the Future II, and this has a similar thread it would seem.

7. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    This guy who played Bruce Willis' son in Die Hard, I really don't get why they give him these recent big roles. He is not very exciting or special as an actor.

8. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    It makes me sad that Lee Byung-hun is now recognized as just "Stormshadow in the two GI Joe films." He needs to go back to Korea and star in more kick-ass movies over there, because in the U.S., he's quickly becoming (unfortunately and coincidentally) the Asian version of Jai Courtney.

9. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also, how many school buses have we seen on the Golden Gate Bridge in major Hollywood movies by now? This. Godzilla. Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Wasn't there also one on that bridge in X-Men 3?

10. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    There was a school bus hanging on the Golden Gate in Superman: The Movie during the earthquake sequence...

andySu and joshEH like this.
  11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I like the first two Terminator movies as much as anyone and Emilia Clarke is inspired casting, but the trailer does nothing for me. It looks generic, I'm sorry to say.

SamT likes this.
  12. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Double, triple and quadruple pass.

The line in the trailer took the words out of my mouth. "Everything has changed" yes its a cluster best mind fuck, yet. I'm passing on this. Now they want to change the future so its all nice and peaceful, okay nothing wrong with that but it fucks up with original its like this one should count and the 1984 one doesn't exist. I'm going to erase this trailer from CPU memory before it fucks my mind up any more. :thumbsdown:

THE TERMINATOR and TERMINATOR 2 classics. :thumbsup:

The rest of the Terminators including this one. In words of Sarah Connor...

[​IMG]
    "You're Terminated fucker".

SAhmed likes this.
  13. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    No, it's that they wanted to start over and "reboot" the nostalgic 80's first film to their specifications, but also wanted to keep the now fan-iconic T2 ideas of the good Arnie, the liquid metal, and the tough gun-toting Sarah Connor from James Cameron's misogynist female issues.

...So, IOW, the new producers got to have their cake and eat it too, namely by buying the bakery and firing all the old bakers.
    And I thought the "Stow John Connor away in a locked room while we unfix all of T2" gimmick in T3 was bad enough.

14. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Its called a cliché. I think Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Golden gate had yellow bus in there somewhere or some objects hanging on the edge while apes jumping around.

You know I have sci-fi story idea I had since 1998 and only written a few pages a few years ago and even done my own illustration storyboards to visualize and give me a bit more think about? It came to a point where I had that writers block thing. I had to put it to one side. Its got a lot of technical jargon that needs thorough research or a collaboration with someone else whom I can trust and be around 24/7 as I'm not just handing over my story idea to someone I know little about.

Its too big. Maybe when I can find a time when I'm relaxed and can get some input. But I have beginning middle and end to the first part. But it does have some clichés to it as nearly all the best sci-fi ideas have been done. All there is now is to reinvent it from B&W or colour with aged outdated visual effects that merely serves the story.

We have so far Superman films, Batman films, Spiderman films, Planet of Apes films, Terminator films, and many, many more give it 10 or 15 years and they'll try it with Star Wars remake/reboot?

Okay maybe I overrated to Terminator Genisys, maybe we all are? I could rent it and watch once it or who knows maybe the soundtrack will get me all excited? It looks visually it looks clean and polished with all the digital rendering.

15. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

The Terminator said: T3, You only postponed it. Judgment Day is inevitable. So everything goes kaboom. Now lets go back and change it all. Lucas, did that to star wars because he felt unhappy with his accomplishment of success and achievement. Is James Cameron, really connected to this films project or only have credit for creating the characters along with Gale Anne Hurd.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I agree. Casting Jai Courtney in a movie is like the producer announcing to the world, "I'm making a generic action movie, and I don't give a shit if my actors can act as long as they look muscular."

The real kicker is that Boyd Holbrook was reportedly the runner-up for Kyle Reese. I don't know if he can act, but he's the spitting image of a younger Michael Biehn, complete with crazy eyes:
    boyd-reese.
    Jai Courtney looks nothing like Michael Biehn.

SamT likes this.
  17. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    "The genius of Terminator Genisys is to begin a whole new trilogy slowly and carefully—like a slow burn that grows inexorably hotter—by essentially rebooting the first two James Cameron films in the popular Terminator series. Then, by the time the subsequent pair of entries in this newly-reimagined entertainment spectacular appear, the filmmaking wizards behind their lengthy production will have acquired the necessary technological and creative wherewithal to take on rebooting the legendary Jonathan Mostow and McG episodes that followed," said no one on the planet ever.

Chuck Mayer likes this.
  18. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    (Uh, well, no, Lucas did it because he decided to cut back his original nine-movie series to six movies by saying "Uh, yeah, it's the story of Anakin, and it already ended in Jedi, that's it!" instead of the entire war. But anyway: )
    Correct answer: B
    Carolco Pictures, with Gale Ann Hurd, was "the creators of Aliens and The Terminator", ie. by also being the producers of the Cameron classics (including The Abyss and True Lies) and the Paul Verhoeven classics (including Total Recall and Basic Instinct)
    But Carolco Pictures also had its two most infamous studio-crushing flops in 1995, Showgirls and Cutthroat Island, and within a few years, Carolco Pictures was no more.

Which left a lot of properties up for grabs that could be bought at a fire sale, and while Fox held onto the Aliens name for being their studio's property, the independent titles like the Terminator series could now be bought by whoever ponied up the cash.
    And they've been ponying up since 2003. Some of the original Carolco tried to reform as "C-2 Productions", which gave us the immortal T3 and Basic Instinct II, in their hopes to put the original Cameron/Hurd/Verhoeven titles back under their "proper" owners, but...think you can guess what happened already.
    Terminator: Salvation became one of the last productions for the Halcyon Company, and now Skydance Productions think they have a shot at the big ol' revived brass ring. Heheh...Poor saps. :lol:

andySu likes this.
  19. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

As someone who had the great pleasure of meeting Linda Hamilton and Bess Motta at Chiller Theatre in October, I can't say I'm enthused about this. As many have noted, this just seems to be mashing up elements of the first two. I dont think there's much else that can be done with the franchise. For those who say the "Terminator" franchise is like a cursed artifact, I've actually seen that analogy made in a book called "Blockbuster", detailing the history of the blockbuster movie from "Jaws" to "Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King". It makes me wonder if Skydance will end up falling to the ground like Orion, Carolco, C2 and The Halcyon Company (although Orion is coming back with a reboot of "The Town That Dreaded Sundown").

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

As for Schwazenegger, anybody see the meme of him in the 80s compared to the 00s? On the left is a picture of a muscular Schwarzenegger and the caption is "I'll Be Back". On the right is a picture of Schwarzenegger overweight and aged in the 00s and the caption is "Ow, my back"!

20. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I appreciate any reminder of how capable an action/sci fi director Jim Cameron is. And that trailer was a great reminder.